Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
AI Roof - Crawl around or stay off for EasyStart install

Still slowly plugging away at my Wachuko list.

I bought the EasyStart for the AC system and want to get that installed before our trip. Are you guys working from ladders or crawling around on top of the roof?

I have the 2017 AI.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
If you can do so safely, please take photos of the process and share...

Looks like something to add to my list as well
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post

I bought the EasyStart for the AC system and want to get that installed before our trip. Are you guys working from ladders or crawling around on top of the roof?

I have the 2017 AI.
I have done both, not that I had anything to fix but just checking the lay of the land & washing/cleaning. But being afraid of heights, I consider the AI 10ft. roof serious heights. So, I always have wife and daughter as spotters, no matter if just cleaning the AI solar or installing Christmas lights up on house gutters. Just be safe (not alone) whichever way you choose.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
I don’t believe the Sprinter roof is designed to be walked on so I highly recommend you use a ladder to avoid any damage.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
When having mine worked on at JC the ~150# service tech walked on the roof. I could not tell that he paid any special attention to where he walked. He got up there to remove and replace the cover where the TV antenna and rear camera wiring goes through the roof. This cover is very near the edge of the roof, just inboard on the awning. It could have been reached from a ladder without much effort, but he got up on the roof anyway.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Western , Tennessee
I installed the Easy-Start about 2 months ago. To install the box containing the electronics you will need to climb on top from the drivers side. Need to remove the cover (2 screws on curb side, 2 on drive side). After running the wires to the curb side for the electrical (wire) connections, I used a ladder on the curb side. As others suggested, I put a moving (thick) pad on the roof, so as not to scratch. I sat, not standing to spread my weight. Easy start website has excellent "how to" info.
TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post

I have the 2017 AI.
I walked very slowly & carefully on the roof... Tried to stay on the ribs. I'm 200lbs. No problems.
Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I do it all the time. Note, however, that the human “LH-50” is approximately 11 feet. I’ve corrupted a toxicology reference (LD-50) but basically what I mean is lethal height 50. Eleven feet is the height from which 50% of tumbling humans will die. So be sure of your own capacities before you attempt it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom23 View Post
I walked very slowly & carefully on the roof... Tried to stay on the ribs. I'm 200lbs. No problems.
I see my rv mechanic friend and his mechanic co-workers at Van City LV walk on their Chinooks & Pleasure Ways all the time on ribs. But they no longer AS dealer, not sure if they would've walked on AI with all the stuff up there.. They do have these fancy cat-walk & scaffold combo, but he told me they only use if need to put heavy stuff like A/C or awnings.

Umm, forgot to say I am 145lbs AND afraid of heights & can only do a simulated Spiderman crawl up there, so in retrospect, not best guy to give advice on this
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I do it all the time. Note, however, that the human “LH-50” is approximately 11 feet. I’ve corrupted a toxicology reference (LD-50) but basically what I mean is lethal height 50. Eleven feet is the height from which 50% of tumbling humans will die. So be sure of your own capacities before you attempt it.

And remember, as you get older and more brittle, the LH-50 gets lower...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:01 AM   #11
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
I have been having the question. I am going to replace the Fan-tastic Fans and will need to caulk around top. However, I weigh 310 pounds - not lite. So, I have been wondering if the roof will support me. Anyone know what the weight limit is??
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:33 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
I don't have an Interstate, but I do get sufficient flexing on my trailer roof at 220 lbs. Have started using 2 pieces of 3/8in birch plywood (what I had at hand the first time) that is 2ft x 3 ft and move it to the locations I need to be.

My Easy Start just came in the mail too, so will be going up myself.

I try to keep the plywood spanning two ribs, with me as close to the ribs as I can.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to wear a safety strap and tie it off on one side of the trailer and park your car up tight on the same side youre tied off on, that way you do break a fall and hopefully reduce any injury.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:31 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorlewis View Post
I have been having the question. I am going to replace the Fan-tastic Fans and will need to caulk around top. However, I weigh 310 pounds - not lite. So, I have been wondering if the roof will support me. Anyone know what the weight limit is??
I've been all over our 2013 AI and I'm 220#. I would strongly recommend staying off the factory seams and away from areas adjacent to roof penetrations. Do I think I caused damage - not really, but I think I was pushing the limits.
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:32 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Bainbridge Island , Washington
I walked all over my 2015 Road-Trek Sprinter, no problems. Be Safe!
pwlldvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:35 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
When I installed mine I crawled around. I did fill a box with all the tools and parts needed. I also printed all the photos and instructions I could find online. On the day of the install I had my wife stay home so I had a Go-fer to avoid having to go down. The install went fine. One bit of advice is to buy the parts kit, unless you're sure you have those parts. The unit works great, just as advertised.
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote