Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-11-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
k9jackie's Avatar
 
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 186
AI Ext Sofa bed bar broken

This weekend, while on a trip to Canada, the slide out bar came off from underneath the sofa bed. I slept without it on my last day and everything seemed fine. What exactly does it do besides hold the fold down extended pieces? Do I really need it if I don't need the additional length?
__________________
2014.5 Airstream Interstate Ext.

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
73shark's Avatar
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,797
Having never seen one except in brochure pics, I'd say you don't need it if you aren't using the fold down extension. And if you're not using them, you could remove them and gain some space and less weight.
__________________
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
UKDUDE's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,084
AI Ext Sofa bed bar broken

It's just a support for the fold down extension for the bed for anyone who needs a bed longer than 6'2". More to go wrong in my opinion.


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
This weekend, while on a trip to Canada, the slide out bar came off from underneath the sofa bed. I slept without it on my last day and everything seemed fine. What exactly does it do besides hold the fold down extended pieces? Do I really need it if I don't need the additional length?

Jackie - as others have pointed out you don't need that slide out bar unless you use the two fold down bed extensions. Since I don't need the bed extensions I removed both the slide bar and fold downs to give me more rear area storage


- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
k9jackie's Avatar
 
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 186
Well, I'm considering selling my AI next year. And getting a class A. If this fix is covered under the warranty, I should probably just get it repaired but thanks for the info. Glad to know it is not important.
__________________
2014.5 Airstream Interstate Ext.

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
 
lamato's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Jackie - as others have pointed out you don't need that slide out bar unless you use the two fold down bed extensions. Since I don't need the bed extensions I removed both the slide bar and fold downs to give me more rear area storage


- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Hi Mike. We also have a 2013 extended, and we're thinking of removing the bar to gain a little more storage under the bed. How big of a process is it to remove the bar? We are not exactly the mechanical types!


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
lamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamato View Post
Hi Mike. We also have a 2013 extended, and we're thinking of removing the bar to gain a little more storage under the bed. How big of a process is it to remove the bar? We are not exactly the mechanical types!


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

If I recall it is just held in by pop rivets. They can be drilled out, but take some effort as they are steel rivets. I then also removed the side fold down bed extensions as they are just held in place by a few screws into the side paneling.


- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 308
I removed mine when I eliminated the side fold down extensions. Since they could not be used when I installed my two vertical cabinets that go from the floor to the rear overhead cabinet, I removed the small netted storage areas on each side. This gave me more room to store tall items between the extra cabinets and the outside wall like an ironing board, drying clothes rack, umbrella's, brooms, etc.

By the way, after using the cabinets this year on our trips, installing these cabinets are, by far, the best modification that I have made to the AI. They dramatically increased the storage area behind the seats.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
lamato's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
I removed mine when I eliminated the side fold down extensions. Since they could not be used when I installed my two vertical cabinets that go from the floor to the rear overhead cabinet, I removed the small netted storage areas on each side. This gave me more room to store tall items between the extra cabinets and the outside wall like an ironing board, drying clothes rack, umbrella's, brooms, etc.

By the way, after using the cabinets this year on our trips, installing these cabinets are, by far, the best modification that I have made to the AI. They dramatically increased the storage area behind the seats.

Thanks for your input. Was the sliding bar difficult to remove? Was it installed using screws or rivets as mentioned by Mike?


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
lamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamato View Post
Thanks for your input. Was the sliding bar difficult to remove? Was it installed using screws or rivets as mentioned by Mike?


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
It was fastened with rivets. Easily drilled out. Only took a few minutes.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:02 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
kaylorsan's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
Los Gatos , California
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 89
Mine broke, however I replaced it with more durable sliding rails. For us, the primary purpose of use is to store our collapsible camp chairs, fire tools, etc. We basically treat it a a pullout shell. Never use it to support the bed fold down arms.


2012 Interstate EXT
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
It was fastened with rivets. Easily drilled out. Only took a few minutes.
Correction!!!

The track for the bar is held in by rivets. And I thought I remembered drilling out the rivets, but I didn't. That bar works just like a cabinet drawer. If you push in on the releases on each side, the bar will slide off the track. I then used a couple zip ties to keep the track from sliding in and out.

jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:02 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member
 
k9jackie's Avatar
 
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 186
I went to Colonial yesterday and the awesome repair crew fixed it on warranty. Apparently this happens a lot.
__________________
2014.5 Airstream Interstate Ext.

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member
 
lamato's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
Correction!!!



The track for the bar is held in by rivets. And I thought I remembered drilling out the rivets, but I didn't. That bar works just like a cabinet drawer. If you push in on the releases on each side, the bar will slide off the track. I then used a couple zip ties to keep the track from sliding in and out.




Thanks for the picture, Jerhofer! It doesn't look complicated after all. We made it on this trip with the bar, but it is nice to know that it is easily removed.

Laura and Vince


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
lamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:50 PM   #15
New Member
 
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Maumelle , Arkansas
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 3
Cool

We are new Airstream Interstate owners (2015 Ext) in Arkansas and are still learning our way around the thing! We recently discovered the extender bar was missing behind the foldout sofa, and would like to have it replaced. Our local dealer is having trouble locating the part(s) needed. Does anyone know if just the aluminum bar and slides can be replaced ( vs. the entire back assembly), and if so, who carries these parts? Thanks!
Pandos
Pandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #16
Prof. of Pending Projects
 
wachuko's Avatar
 
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandos View Post
We are new Airstream Interstate owners (2015 Ext) in Arkansas and are still learning our way around the thing! We recently discovered the extender bar was missing behind the foldout sofa, and would like to have it replaced. Our local dealer is having trouble locating the part(s) needed. Does anyone know if just the aluminum bar and slides can be replaced ( vs. the entire back assembly), and if so, who carries these parts? Thanks!
Pandos
Welcome to the forum!!!

Right place would be to order directly from Airstream... not sure why your dealer is not able to do the same.

Or, you could try getting it from someone that deleted that option from their AI.

Are you missing the complete assembly or just the aluminum frame that slides in/out??



I wish I had the history/reasoning on why that support is like that... if it was only to support the side cushions/fillers that come down to complete the bed, it is a pretty awful design.

You are better off build a shelf there that doubles as the support for the side cushions... make it removable and you can take it out when not needed. Heck, two hinges with two 3/4"x3/4"x10" that would fold sideways flat with the bed would have done the same and not occupied so much space...
__________________
Safe travels!
Wachuko
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandos View Post
We are new Airstream Interstate owners (2015 Ext) in Arkansas and are still learning our way around the thing! We recently discovered the extender bar was missing behind the foldout sofa, and would like to have it replaced. Our local dealer is having trouble locating the part(s) needed. Does anyone know if just the aluminum bar and slides can be replaced ( vs. the entire back assembly), and if so, who carries these parts? Thanks!
Pandos
WELCOME to AirForums!!

I agree with wachuko, your dealer should have been more helpful. Did you buy from this dealer? If not you are once again a victim of dealer selectively only helping their direct customers.

You can download a copy of the Airstream Interstate parts book directly from Airstream. Start at this link. . .

https://www.airstream.com/owners/manuals/

I'm attaching a copy of the six pages from the 2015 Interstate Parts Book that cover the Lounge bed extension.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2015InterstateParts269-274.pdf (42.0 KB, 18 views)
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #18
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,460
Ut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandos View Post
We are new Airstream Interstate owners (2015 Ext) in Arkansas and are still learning our way around the thing! We recently discovered the extender bar was missing behind the foldout sofa, and would like to have it replaced. Our local dealer is having trouble locating the part(s) needed. Does anyone know if just the aluminum bar and slides can be replaced ( vs. the entire back assembly), and if so, who carries these parts? Thanks!
Pandos
PANOS - As previously mentioned, dealer can get this. But before your order, keep in mind this will prob. be an expensive part, based on historical AS prices. I suggest evaluate if you really need it. If you never use the fold down headboard extensions, you may not need it. We do not use the fold downs and as others have done, completely removed them. I was going to remove the rails/slides but I end up using it to support a built-in middle shelf that spans the width of the rear that is at exact level as the fold down headboard extensions. I am still thinking of removing and using fixed vertical legs to support the central of my shelf.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190828_164124.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	350732
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:00 PM   #19
Prof. of Pending Projects
 
wachuko's Avatar
 
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,567
Alex, I am also thinking of drilling the rivets and removing it all... the space under the seat that the structure takes, can be put to better use... right now, because of how much space it takes, I can't stack everything neatly under it. Not a bit deal at first since I placed the normal bucket under it... but now that I went with a collapsible bucket, I could leverage all that space more efficiently.

When we have the cooler, the cooler is the perfect height for the side cushions to lay on... So that support is not needed.

When the cooler is not there, I was thinking about a shelf, or what I mentioned above... just two square tubes that fold out just to hold the cushions... easier and the would not take any additional space under it since they would be installed right on the cross support from the bed. They would swing open towards the rear door, and fold back against the support when not in use. Couple of magnets could keep them from swinging out during travel/not-used.
__________________
Safe travels!
Wachuko
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Ut

PANOS - As previously mentioned, dealer can get this. But before your order, keep in mind this will prob. be an expensive part, based on historical AS prices. I suggest evaluate if you really need it. If you never use the fold down headboard extensions, you may not need it. We do not use the fold downs and as others have done, completely removed them. I was going to remove the rails/slides but I end up using it to support a built-in middle shelf that spans the width of the rear that is at exact level as the fold down headboard extensions. I am still thinking of removing and using fixed vertical legs to support the central of my shelf.
Good advice. Those part will likely be many $100's. I also removed this extension from my Interstate, but will keep them in storage for next owner when I sell in a few years.
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sofa bed, dinette/bed, swivel chairs and fold out table Don Landis Argosy Motorhomes 9 09-07-2011 06:56 PM
Sofa bed, dinette/bed, swivel chairs and fold out table Don Landis General Interior Topics 0 04-21-2009 01:18 AM
Bed vs. Sofa Bed ardenrj General Interior Topics 4 03-20-2007 08:56 PM
Torsion Bar vs Sway Bar acrane Hitches, Couplers & Balls 9 07-31-2006 06:11 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.