Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #1

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Georgetown , Texas
AI Bed cover

HI! We have our first RV 2016 Interstate! I purchased a KING mattress pad but it is not fitting right. I was wondering what others use on their bed. Thanks! Heidi
Hollidayheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Queen size air mattress.

The bed in the Airstream is an odd size at 70" x 82". A king size mattress is 76" x 80", so no matter which way you turn it, it's going to be too long on one side. A queen size mattress is 60" x 80", so it fits, but doesn't completely cover the bed.

If you want a perfect fit, you'll need to custom order something.

Oh, and CONGRATS on the new Interstate!
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Try using suspenders on the corners. Or sheet garters. Pull the extra under the mattress then use the suspenders. It will stay put.

"A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs." Proverbs 12:10
daymonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

We cut a 4" memory foam mattress to fit over the bench seats. Inexpensive and the most comfortable bed we have! We did use carpet grabber tape under the mattress, then covered the seat, foam combo with a mattress protector. Perfect for us!
Jbray333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We gave up on conventional bed outfitting altogether, and I've been very happy with the result, as it's much easier to make and un-make, especially when one person wants to sleep and the other person wants to sit up and read or do computer or whatever.

We largely use Rumpl blankets coupled with sleeping bags when the temps fall very low. Plus I've put together a fleece clothing assembly that partially serves as a wearable "bed".

Morning mist hovering above a pond in Sam Houston National Forest about six weeks ago; one up and at 'em (me), and the other still asleep under the Rumpls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sam-houston-mist.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	276474  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
We had a high density 4" egg crate foam pad cut to fit. We leave our bed set up with blankets and a bed cover as there is no where to store the foam pad anyways. In an ideal world I would choose the articulating twin beds like Davydd but for now I'm satisfied with the egg crate.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
melrose , Massachusetts
folding mattress

we use a Lucid 4" folding mattress queen size from amazon. a little
narrow on the width but perfect length. at last a comfortable nights sleep.

QUOTE=FlyFishinRVr;1884897]Queen size air mattress.

The bed in the Airstream is an odd size at 70" x 82". A king size mattress is 76" x 80", so no matter which way you turn it, it's going to be too long on one side. A queen size mattress is 60" x 80", so it fits, but doesn't completely cover the bed.

If you want a perfect fit, you'll need to custom order something.

Oh, and CONGRATS on the new Interstate! [/QUOTE]
jennian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I bought a 2" foam mattress pad and used an electric carving knife to cut it to fit the space available. I make it with king size sheets but only a queen size comforter. Works great and covers the whole space ... we need it since our 5 year old gets to sleep with us when we are in the bus ... though not at home.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I really like the Bed Bath and Beyond Sheets that have thick elastic all around the fitted sheet. The Sheets stay on the bed without any thing else attaching them.

I bought a twin sheet set as we use only the sofa (no side seats or extenders in the back) - we have a 2007. It was not quite the same size, but with the deep pockets on the sheets, they fit great! We may eventually add foam, so will go to the next size sheets then.

We use a couple of Pendelton Blankets on top which we can use around the campfire if it is cold outside (yea for double duty items!) We live in the Northeast, so this type of arrangement works for us...

Good Luck!
Katy
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We tried a number of things, then settled years ago on an all-season down comforter, with washable duvet cover, and a nice, thick-ish mattress pad. Period.

You can find beautiful duvet covers at good prices online.

It's an unconventional bed, not easily converted into similar to what you have at home, and it wasn't worth the aggravation for us of making it up fully every night or the expense of something custom.

I initially found a mattress pad with elastic straps at the corners, then for replacements just went to a nice, fluffy one and cut off the edging that would go around a conventional mattress.

Wash duvet cover and mattress pad as you would regular linens.

I stow the comforter in one of the overhead bins, the mattress pad gets folded into a large, square, black pillow cover, and rides up front on the floor between the front seats. A cotton rug over this makes a spot for the dog while driving.

Bed pillows go into an identical pillow cover in the back, which allows them to be out during the day, and used as a back rest for reading, etc.

I found the pillow covers on clearance at BB&BY, but if you are handy you could make these yourself...our first were made in a sueded black, washable fabric, one pillow in each cover.

Maggie
Old 12-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Key Largo , Florida
Thumbs up Try a 2-3" foam pad and roll it up....

We too have a 2016 AI - and have come to love the large comfortable bed. We bought a foam pad and covered it with a mattress pad and fitted sheet (Queen size) - and then added another set of queen sheets and blankets as needed. Works great for us as each morning I roll up the pad with sheets and the one blanket and put it behind the raised rear seat. Stuff the pillows overhead. When in colder weather we add a down comforter which I spread out across the top of the rolled bedding. It all "disappears" behind the rear sofa and can be covered with the leather cover provided with your Airstream. Oh yes, we keep the two "extension arm rear fold up cushions" in the down position 24/7 - and yet still manage to store more than we need below from the rear.
Have travelled for some 100+ days this way -- loving every night and sleeping perfectly.
To make this work I built a "headboard" that is attached to the rear "wall" for the electric screen - not sure how to post more than one image, so e-mail me for more if you wish ....
AI Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #12

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Georgetown , Texas
I appreciate all the ideas and recommendations! Thanks! Heidi
Hollidayheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Panama City Beach , Florida
I purchased 2 - 1.5 extra long twin college dorm foam mattress pads. To cover them, I sewed a seam down the middle of a queen size sheet and a seam at the bottom, the top is folded like an envelop or gift wrapped package and I used non sew velcro and that works great. Then we use 2 king size sheets folded in half (one for each of us). We use 2 blankets if needed. Although you can set the bed for king size we opt to leave the dinette seats up and just let down the bench seat so we have an easier time with getting up when needed. The mattress pads are a little too wide with the dinette seats up, but I am reluctant to trim them to size for now. All this fits nicely above the bench seat. Sheets and blankets store nicely in the side cubbies and we roll up each of the foam pads separately lay them at the front and then unroll them towards the back to lay flat, then place the pillows on top of the foam pads.
2Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
A lot a great options to consider. I have one more for you. http://www.rvsuperbag.com/
We bought a 3 inch queen size mattress topper and a queen size superbag. We are very comfortable with this setup. Every morning the superbag gets rolled up and stuffed in the overhead cabinet over the lounge and the topper gets rolled up and stowed behind the lounge. We like the extra living space for day time activities.

It usually takes about three minute to make the bed and about five to stow it away in the morning.

Welcome to the forums!
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwils25 View Post
A lot a great options to consider. I have one more for you. http://www.rvsuperbag.com/
We bought a 3 inch queen size mattress topper and a queen size superbag. We are very comfortable with this setup. Every morning the superbag gets rolled up and stuffed in the overhead cabinet over the lounge and the topper gets rolled up and stowed behind the lounge. We like the extra living space for day time activities.

It usually takes about three minute to make the bed and about five to stow it away in the morning.

Welcome to the forums!

We also use the RV Superbags with 3" memory foam topper. Make a very comfortable bad that stores and sets up easily. The Superbags are pricey but it's nice to have sheets held in by Velcro that you can remove to launder.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:48 PM   #16
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
My sleeping pad

I have a queen-size quilted artificial down pad. Over that, I put a full-size flat sheet. The full-size sheet is small enough that I don't have a lot of excess sheet width. We use an all-season comforter or a sheet on top as the season requires.

I laid the flat sheet out on my den carpet with the pad centered on it and marked the corners of the pad and corresponding spots on the sheet with a sharpie pen. I also marked two equally-spaced spots down each side of the pad and sheet. All pad marks are at the quilting lines. At each mark, I put a male snap in the down pad and the mating female snap part on the sheet.

I keep the sheet snapped in place. In the morning, I fold the sides of the pad/sheet combination in by thirds and roll it up tightly. The roll is then 20" wide. It fits perfectly in a 24" deep 14" diameter folding hamper. The hamper stores flat at night and the loaded hamper sits behind the couch in the daytime.

In the evening, with the jackknife chairs still in chair mode, I partly recline the couch and unroll and unfold the pad/sheet with part hanging over the back of the couch. I then put the jackknife chairs down and drag the pad/sheet into position. The whole thing takes about 2 minutes. Fold and stow the hamper and I am done except for the queen top sheet or comforter which are big enough to not require tucking in.

It is easy to unsnap the sheet for laundering and reassemble the pair. I have the bottoms marked to simplify reassembly.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote