Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Little Rock , Arkansas
AI Battery Likely Dead

Just picked up 2019 AI GT from local dealer. Took in for routine warranty work nearing one year of ownership. I should have been more aggressive that something was wrong. To check the work, I needed power, and tech said, “Oh, just turn on the engine to bring up the control panel.” Of course, that worked. But, should have been able to cycle blinds, run vent fan, etc off battery. Got it home after 20 minute drive, and still no battery power. Can’t even start generator. The house batteries stay charged just fine normally with solar and 12v switch off in my driveway. My guess is that the batteries drained while sitting in the service lot for five weeks. And, now I can’t even get a phone call through to the service dept to express my displeasure. Am plugged in to 20amp house current. Ant chance this could bring the batteries back?
hirstpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirstpb View Post
Just picked up 2019 AI GT from local dealer. Took in for routine warranty work nearing one year of ownership. I should have been more aggressive that something was wrong. To check the work, I needed power, and tech said, “Oh, just turn on the engine to bring up the control panel.” Of course, that worked. But, should have been able to cycle blinds, run vent fan, etc off battery. Got it home after 20 minute drive, and still no battery power. Can’t even start generator. The house batteries stay charged just fine normally with solar and 12v switch off in my driveway. My guess is that the batteries drained while sitting in the service lot for five weeks. And, now I can’t even get a phone call through to the service dept to express my displeasure. Am plugged in to 20amp house current. Ant chance this could bring the batteries back?
HIRSTPB - how can house batteries stay charged just fine when you just said no battery power. That's contradictory. What are the voltage readings from the control panel (Firefly or CZone?). You said it worked when engine was running. What 12v switch is off, Main Disconnect by the door, battery disconnect inside electrical compartment? Need more details. If batteries are truly dead and won't recover, a last ditch effort may be to Equalize. Maybe check directly on battery terminals with a voltmeter what readings you get. I would go straight back to the dealer, forget the phone calls. That's how I handled the issues my dealer either messed up or did not complete. PITA but it's the best approach rather than waiting days & days and giving them the opportunity to blame you for draining the batts.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:12 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Dealers regularly ruin batteries by leaving them switched on while sitting in their lots. I have a friend with an Airstream trailer who has ended up with flat batteries half a dozen times now after having warranty work done. I don't know the solution to this.

I bought a 2018 that had been on the lot for some time. I wrote into the contract that the batteries had to be load tested and be up to new specs before I would accept delivery. When I picked it up, they had installed fresh batteries.

I am fortunate in that I can fix just about anything wrong with the rig. It would take some serious flaws before I would leave it with the dealer. My dealer is less than 20 miles away and I am retired. If I ever had to leave it, I would check daily to ensure that the master switch is safely kept off.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
HIRSTPB - how can house batteries stay charged just fine when you just said no battery power. That's contradictory. What are the voltage readings from the control panel (Firefly or CZone?). You said it worked when engine was running. What 12v switch is off, Main Disconnect by the door, battery disconnect inside electrical compartment? Need more details. If batteries are truly dead and won't recover, a last ditch effort may be to Equalize. Maybe check directly on battery terminals with a voltmeter what readings you get. I would go straight back to the dealer, forget the phone calls. That's how I handled the issues my dealer either messed up or did not complete. PITA but it's the best approach rather than waiting days & days and giving them the opportunity to blame you for draining the batts.

Apologies for rambling and not being clearer. My normal configuration when not on the road is to park the AI in my driveway. The solar panels maintain the batteries just fine. I keep the red 12v switch inside the side door off. Then, when I want to do something in the AI, I flip the 12v switch on. The control panel powers up, and I’m in business. Lights, fans, curtains, demo sofa conversion to bed, etc. I’m now getting nothing, unless the engine is running. I’ll be returning to the dealer in the morning.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I never turn off the red switch...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Apologies for rambling and not being clearer. My normal configuration when not on the road is to park the AI in my driveway. The solar panels maintain the batteries just fine. I keep the red 12v switch inside the side door off. Then, when I want to do something in the AI, I flip the 12v switch on. The control panel powers up, and I’m in business. Lights, fans, curtains, demo sofa conversion to bed, etc. I’m now getting nothing, unless the engine is running. I’ll be returning to the dealer in the morning.
HIRSTPB - Ok, thanks, I understand better now. Well, if stuff is working only when engine is running, then at least we know the BIM is closing and at least everything seems to be working electrically from engine batt/alternator supplying the +12v. I then agree with your suspicion that the batts on house side are completely dead, maybe even to the point of no return. It won't hurt to try the Equalize from your Magnum charger. I have never done an Equalize myself, hoping someone who has can chime in if it may work or not. On the bright side, from what you say, at least nothing else seems out of whack, all accessories work ok?

Just curious, was it there for electrical work? Could they have disconnected the house batts? Did you check the big red disconnect switch(es) under the jumpseat
Old 08-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have just had a dead battery experience, from running it down too low, so my first thought is that household current won’t do it.

But, others here will know more and will want to know what kind of battery you have.

Maggie
Old 08-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I never turn off the red switch...
WACHUKO - you mean this red switch? or the other one? which one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Two-Buttons.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	350871  
Old 08-30-2019, 05:00 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
HIRSTPB - Ok, thanks, I understand better now. Well, if stuff is working only when engine is running, then at least we know the BIM is closing and at least everything seems to be working electrically from engine batt/alternator supplying the +12v. I then agree with your suspicion that the batts on house side are completely dead, maybe even to the point of no return. It won't hurt to try the Equalize from your Magnum charger. I have never done an Equalize myself, hoping someone who has can chime in if it may work or not. On the bright side, from what you say, at least nothing else seems out of whack, all accessories work ok?

Just curious, was it there for electrical work? Could they have disconnected the house batts? Did you check the big red disconnect switch(es) under the jumpseat

The only electrical item was replacing one window shade motor. Anyhow, it’s back in the shop. Somehow, I have a feeling the dealer will deny any liability and I’ll be buying new batteries.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Battery

Quote:
My guess is that the batteries drained while sitting in the service lot for five weeks.
That's not a "guess" that's a fact.

These dealers should lose their certification. This is such an obvious and common error on their part.

Next time, for your new batteries, make sure you physically disconnect the cable if you leave it for extended service.
I have installed a "real" battery disconnect because the battery is really hard to get to.

Note: the "dead" batteries will hold enough charge to run a small appliance like your TV for a few minutes. But they are D-E-A-D dead, dead, dead.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I always turn off red switch by the door when storing. I was told to do that. Who knows correct answer? I do bring mine home every 1-2 weeks and plug in and check everything
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:24 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Little Rock , Arkansas
Just to close the loop, the dealer charged the batteries, and they seem to be doing fine. Been in the driveway unplugged and maintaining charge with solar. That said, now have three more issues I’ll address in a new thread. So, back to the dealer tomorrow!