Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2020, 09:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Agile Off Road RIP vs VB air

Anyone have experience with these options for handling and comfort?

I mostly want to do something to make it easier for the Mrs to drive on windy days but also improve comfort for passengers on the couch.

VB seems to be the gold standard but is rather pricey at $10k

Any first hand experience with either system would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Eric
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
We have VB Air on our Interstate. I’m not sure it makes a lot of difference as we test drove one without before purchasing ours. I’ve read that others thought the same, that it doesn’t make that much of a difference. Hope others can chime in if they’ve driven both. Just my opinion but we didn’t test drive the other for a super long drive so maybe I’d feel differently if we had, but I doubt it.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:09 PM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I don't have either system installed on our Interstate but I did have a recent, less than positive, experience with Agile Offroad.

I ordered a $100+ horn upgrade kit and delivery took nearly 3 weeks. In addition, their customer service is lacking in my opinion. When I didn't receive email feedback regarding the shipment date I called to inquire and was told it will ship "sometime this week." As vague as that was, it wasn't even true. The part didn't ship for well over 10 days. The pictures in the instructions don't come anywhere close to matching the configuration of our van so I called to inquire if I'd ordered the correct part. Had to leave a message and nobody has called back in 2 days. Certainly less than stellar support. However, a $3500 suspension upgrade may warrant more customer attention.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
We have VB Air on our Interstate. I’m not sure it makes a lot of difference as we test drove one without before purchasing ours. I’ve read that others thought the same, that it doesn’t make that much of a difference. Hope others can chime in if they’ve driven both. Just my opinion but we didn’t test drive the other for a super long drive so maybe I’d feel differently if we had, but I doubt it.

Thanks Hawk-ination, that’s good info
Old 06-18-2020, 06:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
No problem. We debated very hard on to buy one with air ride or not. I don’t think the previous owner knew he even had it, so we just happened to stumble on one and felt lucky when we bought it. When we test drove the first one without air ride, it was actually at the Winnebago dealer in Forest City, Iowa (who’d think...). It was windy, and it’s flat up there, and if you’ve been on Iowa roads, most are pretty bumpy so it was a good test. After driving the one we eventually purchased with air ride, like I said, I just don’t feel a big difference from what I remember. Maybe if you drove one right after the other, but still thinking not, like I said before. Still curious if anyone else has a different opinion, but I see they are slow to join the party... Hope you get more input to make your decision. It’s a bit of a tough one without getting to compare if fully for yourself.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:32 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Windy conditions are a real bear. We were driving to the Grand Canyon from Moab, UT last fall and had all kinds of error messages because wind speeds were messing with cruise control.. Anything that can reduce the effects of wind would be worth good money. I’m thinking of upgrading my 2013 to the Agile RIP to get stability and increased ground clearance.
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Carlsbad , California
All- we are in san diego (Near agile) and almost pulled the $4K trigger...so glad we didn't. We also looked at a potential $10K air bag upgrade...so glad we didn't...ok what did we do?? We found a suspension shop that specializes in Rv's..after $4200 our 2012 airstream interstate is amazing. Just drove 5K miles to Ky and back...and you can actually sit in the back without hitting the ceiling!!!. Sumos, plus Koni shocks, 1.25" sway bar...are the key...don't do air bags...
02interstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:34 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Sumos in front and back or just front since you put koni’s on the back?
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:02 PM   #9
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02interstate View Post
All- we are in san diego (Near agile) and almost pulled the $4K trigger...so glad we didn't. We also looked at a potential $10K air bag upgrade...so glad we didn't...ok what did we do?? We found a suspension shop that specializes in Rv's..after $4200 our 2012 airstream interstate is amazing. Just drove 5K miles to Ky and back...and you can actually sit in the back without hitting the ceiling!!!. Sumos, plus Koni shocks, 1.25" sway bar...are the key...don't do air bags...
Glad it went so well! Pray tell, what suspension shop?

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:28 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02interstate View Post

Thanks 02Interstate! I really don’t want to spend the $$ for air ride. Do you know How your mod differed from agile as they are similar cost

Thanks
Old 08-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Carlsbad , California
All - the Agile mod involves lifting the Van with large springs..and also adding custom shocks. I am never taking my interstate off road so the extra springs are of no value.
Upgraded parts:
Inner Tie Rods - front (2 * $122 = $244)
Camber kit - front ($75)
RoadMaster 120 Sway Bar ($431)
Koni FSD Rear Gas Shocks ($199 * 2 = $398)
Koni FSD Front Gas Strut ($323 * 2 = $646)
SumoSprings Front Suspension kit ($175)
Sumo Rear Bump stop set kit ($250)
Labor - $1628

The shop I went to had a 2020 interstate in there that sold me as the guy just bought a new one and changed the suspension. Also, they had a Agile upgraded sprinter (not interstate) that they had to "undo". If anyone is in southern CA I recommend Alignment Plus in San Marcos (Ray is manager) but I know thats not helpful to most.
I am sure I may of overpaid for this but It was a week before my 5K mile trip..

Lastly, I called 3 shops to put in aftermarket air ride. $13K was the price I was quoted..that makes me feel better about my $4200 purchase.
02interstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
san diego , California
Agile RIP

I have a 2016 chassis 2017 Interstate Grand Tour. I had the Agile RIP done in San Diego over a year ago. I am super happy with the upgrade but had one issue. They said before the installation that no alignment was necessary. However at the end of the install they did an ad hoc alignment by driving it and then adjusting the tie rods until the steering wheel was dead ahead. They did this a few times. The steering wheel was slightly off and it drove a bit strange.
I drove about a thousand miles and visually wore down the front tires. I had it aligned in northern California and new tires installed. No tire issue or pull to one side since.

The handling has improved immensely. For example turning into a parking lot that has the typical concrete lip would cause the AI to rock and roll a huge amount even at very low speed. Similarly taking a right angle corner at an intersection would be the same. This has all been improved immensely and now it handles like an SUV.

I think it might be better in cross winds but it is hard to quantify.

PS before the upgrade the leaf springs were sagging - lower at the ends than the middle.
I have 4x4 and love it when occasionally needed when boondocking.
CorkWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:17 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
We have a 2011 22’ coach, which has an even harsher ride due to less weight over the rear axle. It still rides roughly despite adding Koni shocks, Anti sway bar, and front and back Sumos. Fortunately, the four Captains chairs are very comfortable.
The above mods (and slightly smaller commercial truck tires) solved the ESP/loss of cruise control issue in gusty winds. It also feels more stable when turning into driveways.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote