Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Wasp spray. Never tried it on bears; hope never to have the chance. But an excellent alternative to Mace, with a range about equal to your Airstream's length, and it won't poke holes in the Airstream if you miss (not everyone can hit the 10-ring consistently with a firearm). Plus, no jurisdiction in the United States classifies it as a weapon with regard to ownership and transport; it's a common household item, that only becomes a weapon if you use it as such. And best of all, it still works on insects as well as perps.
Wasp spray is a neuro-toxic. Not a defense spray. Bear spray is regular pepper spray on steroids.

God forbid you should have to use either in defense, but the wasp spray is very likely to cause permanent damage. I don't think anyone hear would recommend throwing acid in the face of an attacker, but it's in the same category.

Please, reserve the wasp spray for wasps and opt for the bear spray for defense.
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquayle View Post
Wasp spray is a neuro-toxic. Not a defense spray. Bear spray is regular pepper spray on steroids.

God forbid you should have to use either in defense, but the wasp spray is very likely to cause permanent damage. I don't think anyone hear would recommend throwing acid in the face of an attacker, but it's in the same category.

Please, reserve the wasp spray for wasps and opt for the bear spray for defense.
I don't want to turn this into an off-topic debate, especially one that tends to polarize folks…

But you do bring up a valid point that deserves an answer. One must decide, in advance when there's adequate time to consider the situation, just how far one is willing to go in defense of one's life or property. In the heat of the moment is the wrong time to be thinking about it.

If you choose a less harmful defense option, I've got nothing but respect for you. I just can't make the same decision. Maybe because I've been a victim of violent crime before, and I remember being afraid I would die.

I'm not concerned about compassion when defending my life. Anyone who breaks into my Airstream while I'm in it is a threat to my life, and I will respond with whatever I have available with enough force to make sure I'm the one who walks away. I'm well aware that wasp spray is no better and no worse than shooting an assailant with a gun.

But I'd still rather not be given the opportunity to put it to the test.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Advice from a Friend

Submitted with apologies to a serious question:

Question from a newbie RVer: I am all thumbs and not handy at all mechanically. What tools should I carry in my new coach?

Answer: You only need three tools....a checkbook, a credit card and a roll of cash!!
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote