Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Heathrow , Florida
Question Adding Third TV for front passenger

Looking for ideas on adding a flip down TV mounted under the front overhead compartment for the wife to watch TV when rolling down the road. I have to hook it up to a Winwgard In Motion satellite and will have to use component video wires as the only HDMI port is already split by a Monoprice HDMI splitter for the two original TV's. Has anyone tried this yet? Or am I the only one going the extra mile for my wifes viewing pleasure?
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
Looking for ideas on adding a flip down TV mounted under the front overhead compartment for the wife to watch TV when rolling down the road. I have to hook it up to a Winwgard In Motion satellite and will have to use component video wires as the only HDMI port is already split by a Monoprice HDMI splitter for the two original TV's. Has anyone tried this yet? Or am I the only one going the extra mile for my wifes viewing pleasure?
As far as I know, most states require that televisions be mounted where the driver cannot see them while the vehicle is in motion. Which makes a permanent TV mount, flip-down or otherwise, illegal. Now if you could somehow hook up an iPad or other tablet computer to a socket in the dashboard to provide handheld television for the missus, then your front-seat TV can be conveniently absent when you go to get the vehicle's annual inspection…
Old 07-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
Thanks Protagonist. I was trying to figure out away to accomplish it with an iPad or the likes but all the options that utilize any iOS or Android device would require using a Verizon data plan which I already use too much of and unlike the old days is not unlimited. I do live in Florida which, believe it or not, has no annual inspection so that's not an issue. Maybe if I just promise not to look?
Old 07-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #4

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
Thanks Protagonist. I was trying to figure out away to accomplish it with an iPad or the likes but all the options that utilize any iOS or Android device would require using a Verizon data plan which I already use too much of and unlike the old days is not unlimited. I do live in Florida which, believe it or not, has no annual inspection so that's not an issue. Maybe if I just promise not to look?
I'm not going to tell you that you can't do it. My job is to provide information to let you make an informed decision.

Florida Statute 316.0075 dated 2005 says, "No motor vehicle operated on the highways of this state shall be equipped with television-type receiving equipment so located that the viewer or screen is visible from the driver's seat."

But you also have to watch out for other states. Just like cell phone use, it doesn't matter what our home states laws are, it matter what the laws are where you're pulled over. With that in mind, I also looked up your two neighboring states to see if you'd be legal there.

Alabama statute 32-5-219 dated 2008 says, "No television viewer, screen or other means of visually receiving a television broadcast shall be located in a motor vehicle at any point forward of the back of the driver's seat or in any manner so that the driver of the vehicle can see it while in actual control of the vehicle."

Georgia has no statute prohibiting televisions for front seat passengers, only using devices to "compose, send, or read" text messages while operating a motor vehicle.

So if it were me, I'd make sure there was no evidence of a television forward of the back of the driver's seat just in case you're pulled over or involved in an accident anywhere. Which brings you back to a portable. But of course that's if it was me.

Then again, tablet computers are not the only portable way to watch TV. They do still make actual televisions that are portable… (http://www.amazon.com/b?node=979930011)

Here's a question… Does your Interstate still have a hatch in the dashboard big enough to hold an 8½×11 notebook? If so, you might mount a flat-screen portable TV in there, where all you have to do is close the lid to hide it away. If memory serves, Mercedes puts their rear-view camera monitors in there, so it's a short stretch to installing a TV there.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
Hey I really appreciate the time you took and info you provided to bring me to my senses. Years ago I had a forty footer with a 900 pound TV hanging over my head and had no qualms about turning it on for whomever wished to watch. But it's a different time now and distracted driving isn't tolerated by the authorities for good reason. I guess there are some dummies that would succumb to the temptation of watching Real Housewives of New Jersey whilst cruising at 70 mph. So I think the permanent mount would be problematic. Actually the first place I wanted to put it was in the hatch on the dash but after accessing the wiring involved it just seemed a lot easier to go with a ceiling mount with one hole right into the satellite receiver.
So I may reconsider the hatch idea. We are TV people so it would be nice to have it there even when parked or so when the grandkids want us to change the channel we can at least see the channel without having to get up and smash our heads into the big TV. Again. Many Thanks!
Old 07-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
This might seem like a silly question but why does she not sit in the second row since she won't be talking to you, no reason to sit in front?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
That is a good question. Answer? Because the TV's are usually used with 7 grandkids in the back. And they don't take kindly to Grandma sitting on their laps. Haha.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Wow, and I thought I had a crowd w/ four or five in back.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
If you replaced the front passenger seat with a seat like your second row seat, she could swivel the seat around to watch the TV you mounted above the second row seat on the side of the shower. Swiveling the standard seat around would mean you could not fasten the seat belt. Since the seat belt is built into the second row seat, that would not be a problem. She could use headphones for sound. And she could see what the grand kids are up to.

Giving up airbag protection would be a strong negative to this idea.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
My wife watches dvd's in the kenwood unit. You will have to ground the parking brake wire to the kenwood to do it while in motion.

I don't find it distracting at all. I barely watch it when I'm not driving at home and it's on in the living room.

Brian
AtlantaCpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
If you replaced the front passenger seat with a seat like your second row seat, she could swivel the seat around to watch the TV you mounted above the second row seat on the side of the shower.

Giving up airbag protection would be a strong negative to this idea.
A rearward-facing seat probably provides more protection than the airbag would, at least in a frontal impact.

On the other hand, the second-row seat in mine is a low-back seat, and that could create a problem if it replaced a front seat— no head or neck protection in any position. But if you could get a high-back second-row seat with headrest, that would work.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:56 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
A rearward-facing seat probably provides more protection than the airbag would, at least in a frontal impact.

On the other hand, the second-row seat in mine is a low-back seat, and that could create a problem if it replaced a front seat— no head or neck protection in any position. But if you could get a high-back second-row seat with headrest, that would work.
I was thinking of my second row seats which have high backs with the seat belt built in.

jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:52 AM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
I was thinking of my second row seats which have high backs with the seat belt built in.
My second-row seat isn't tall enough to rest my head against it like I can with the front seat headrests. It only comes up to my shoulders. Those headrests are there to prevent whiplash injuries. But if yours is tall enough, then no problem.