Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Manassas , Virginia
Accessing the hot water heater bypass

I have a 2015 Interstate Grand Tour. I am trying to find the best way to access the hot water heater bypass valve. Last fall I laid on the floor forward of the lounge and reached though the storage doors under the lounge to turn the valve. I found that to be an unpleasant experience. Is it easier to reach the bypass valve from behind the lounge via the rear doors? There are some covers blocking access to the water heater that seem stuck. I don't want to apply more force to the covers unless they are intended to be removed.

Thanks.
curmugeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Not sure if the extended version is the same but on mine, I have to remove the gray, fuzzy fabric (Velcroed on) behind the W/H and then reach in to change the valve position.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:29 PM   #3
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
From rear, reach under lounge. You do need to pull back the carpet covering the opening, just like you do from the front. There is no good way to get to it. I wear a headlamp so I can see what I'm doing.

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I cut out a 3" wide by 6" high U shaped piece below the lounge seat in front of the water heater. Then put in back in with a spring-loaded cabinet hinge that keeps it in the closed position. I simply open it and reach in to the shut off from the front. It doesn't look bad when the seat is up - though we almost always have the seat made into the bad so it almost never shows at all.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I cut out a 3" wide by 6" high U shaped piece below the lounge seat in front of the water heater. Then put in back in with a spring-loaded cabinet hinge that keeps it in the closed position. I simply open it and reach in to the shut off from the front. It doesn't look bad when the seat is up - though we almost always have the seat made into the bad so it almost never shows at all.
That is a great idea!
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
HWH bypass

On the 2014 EXT the L-shaped rear water heater cover is attached with two or three screws.
It seems that it can't be removed entirely but can be pulled back a couple of inches.
With the lounge back in the up position you can actually reach OVER the top of the cover and then barely reach the yellow bypass valve.
Since it only has two positions it it pretty easy to manipulate in the blind.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote