Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2020, 08:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
AC unit swap out?

Anyone attempted to swap out their own AC unit on an Airstream Interstate?
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #2
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
On my to-do list...

Would love one that is quiet and could still be controlled by the main panel...

I got confirmation that the Atwood (Advanced RV) does not connect to the stock control panel in my 2018 AI. It has a remote control and control in the actual unit.

I do not have confirmation on the Coleman-Mach 10 NDQ ability to connect to the stock panel in my AI...

As to replacing. I know of two fellow members in this forum that have done so. Not complicated. But you need a good and safe way to get up there and have a way to lift the old unit out and lower the new one in place.

Not an AI, but I watched these two videos to start looking at the process...

And a photo a fellow owner shared...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8452.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	380987  
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
I sure hope not to get to a fourth unit replacement!

Good luck on your search on what works with the new multiplex system. I have not seen anything on compatible units in my search. Hope they exist. Good information and pictures.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #4

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
I sure hope not to get to a fourth unit replacement!

Good luck on your search on what works with the new multiplex system. I have not seen anything on compatible units in my search. Hope they exist. Good information and pictures.
Email sent to both Coleman RV A/C company (https://www.airxcel.com/) and Firefly Integrations (http://www.fireflyintegrations.com/)... Hoping that one of them can answer my question on the integration....

At the end of the day, I rather have the quiet A/C even if it does not integrates to the main controller... but would be nice to maintain all of it controlled from it....

Because of price and thinking of doing it myself... I am inclined to go with the Coleman Mach - Mach 10 NDQ Low Profile RV AC unit... The Atwood is even quieter, but at over twice the cost, not sure...
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-21-2020, 03:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Good luck with your possible purchase and install Wachuko. It helps to have a predecessor for sure. We are a bit luckier to have an older model on this subject, but I’m sure you’ll get to the bottom of it. The Mach 10 looks promising decibel-wise. I am not familiar with the Atwood.

After owning the Interstate, I am finding myself regretful for not having asked my father to teach me more about electricity and wiring! That part I will leave to the experts. Guess it’s never too late to learn though, just not on this project. Maybe I should have planned better too. I will be blowing freezing air through that AC unit just to warm it up!! Even got snowed on this week. Seems too early to be thinking about freezing temps and snow, even for us in the Midwest! At least it will be ready for next season and hope to be sleeping quite a bit better next spring. Can’t wait.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #6

Orlando , Florida
The Atwood looks a lot like the Houghton A/C on this link... And the company, Atwood, has been owned by Dometic for awhile now (since 2014)... You would think that some of that technology would make it to the Dometic line... life would be much easier if they had done that already...

Outside of Advanced RV this is where I found it for sale:

Houghton A/C

I know I got another link from a member here, but can't find it now...

Also, I did get a response from both Airxcel/Coleman and Firefly Integrations...

Airxcel/Coleman sent me the wiring diagram for the Coleman NDQ (could not find it anywhere online...)

So it looks like I should be able to wire the Coleman to the existing control panel...

In your case, it should be even easier to wire it...

I need to decide on which one to go with... comparing pricing, looks like buying the Houghton from that link I provided, the price between it and the Coleman is about the same...

So quieter A/C without integration or a few decibels louder A/C with integration (but still far quieter than what I have now...)

Edit: I might be confusing an Atwood model with the Houghton... what Advanced RV sells is the Houghton unit... Now I need to figure out where the heck I got the Atwood A/C information from....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Houghton AC-1.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	381396   Click image for larger version

Name:	45203-8793 wiring.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	381397  

Name:	2018AI-TB- Multiplex Diagram.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	381398   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018AI-TB-Multiplex System.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	381399  

WBCCI #26769
Old 10-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Ohhhh. Yeah, i’ve heard of it.... That’s what we are swapping out for. Houghton. Got it, just hadn’t seen it called an Atwood. Excited to have it land on our doorstep but shipping is a little slow so far. Understandably with COVID though.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:06 PM   #8

Orlando , Florida
That is the quietest of them all... Where did you buy it from? If you do not mind sharing...
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Sorry Wachuko, I edited my post after seeing you got the Atwood mixed up possibly with the Houghton, but the internet hasn’t been working great since the big storm and it didn’t update. Here’s my edited comment:

We have a Houghton on order and excited to have it land on our doorstep but shipping is a little slow so far. Understandably with COVID though. I saw a video on the Houghton being swapped at Advanced in an AI so I am wondering if it would work for you although I’d have to go back and look at if it’s a newer AI or not. Glad you got the information on the Coleman and that it should work for you.

Try www.recpro.com, probably the website you had. I think they are the only distributor outside Advanced RV in the US so far. I didn’t want to miss out as distribution got slow with COVID. I didn’t get to talk to a member in person as they offered to talk to me about it, but they messaged they were extremely happy with their unit so I got one snagged before they possibly ran out again.

I would have looked at the Mach 10 as an option, too. I agree on Dometic, they seem to be a little behind the 8 ball on the quiet AC front.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:54 PM   #10

Orlando , Florida
Same vendor, cool! I know of three AI with it... yours would be the 4th that I know of...

I might just end up going with that one as well... Dehumidification mode, heats, cools... low profile, lower power consumption, the most quiet...

Please keep us posted on the install... See if you can get photos of the process.

This is some of the feedback that I got from a fellow AI owner from his install:

Quote:
Very easy. Four bolts. Only three 120v wires. No thermostat wiring. I now have a remote to control the unit and it’s temp status displayed on the ceiling cover. I can control it from the drivers seat. If remote fails you can still control it at the ceiling.

I capped off Airstream wires that went to the original unit.

One issue: the original unit had sense wiring if the generator ran out or fuel or failed, the ac would shutdown before low power went to the unit. Now that protection is not there.
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-21-2020, 02:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa

Comparisons of the AC model decibels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CC23A529-BC84-4533-8C97-16D6202B092C.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	381419  
Old 10-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Following
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
It’s HERE!!!

I feel like a kid on Christmas Day! Nix the slow shipping, it wasn’t that bad. Maybe a week or less.

Might keep some of you wondering because I’d like to see if I can’t get it painted before we attempt to mount it. The weather is just looking nasty too, and I’m not sure I can find a shop with a tall enough roof to borrow. Might just take it up to the RV dealer who I’m pretty sure can make it all happen. I’m so anxious to (not) hear the thing run!!

Will keep you posted...