Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
AC freeze up

Came 265 miles home today from north east Texas. Fields along the road were flooded and the humidity was very high. There was severe flooding near my home, but we found home high and dry on the top of my hill.

First 150 miles was fairly cool (70s). Stopped for lunch at the Flying J (Denny's) at Waco and it was in the low 80s when we started home. I had the AC on and 2 bars on the fan. It started getting warm, so I went to 3 bars on the fan and then 4 bars. I soon noticed that I had very little air flow.

I turned the AC off and within half a minute, I had cool air and steadily increasing airflow. The ice took a couple of minutes to melt. When the air warmed, I turned the AC back on. No problem the rest of the way home.

I had icing problems in my 2014. Looks like the 2018 (2017 Sprinter) has the same icing susceptibility.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
My original Coleman, and subsequent Mach 8 Plus, have a probe that inserts into the expansion coil. I thought it's job is to prevent icing events such as yours by sensing the condition and turning off the compressor often enough to prevent it.

Someone who knows much more about a/c's can tell me if that what the probe does, and if so, whether your a/c has one.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
It's been reported here in the past that turning off the Recirc periodically will help prevent this. Another possible cause of A/C evap freeze up is a low charge.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
It's been reported here in the past that turning off the Recirc periodically will help prevent this. Another possible cause of A/C evap freeze up is a low charge.
Ok, so we're talking about the Sprinter dash a/c and not roof air. Yes, the only time I ever had dash a/c in a vehicle freeze up was when it would get slightly low on freon.

New vehicles have cabin air filters that need to be changed periodically to maintain peak air flow.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I happened to have a set of AC gauges. When I get a chance, I'll check the Freon level in my coach.

The Freon level in my smart toad also seems to be low. When I replaced the evaporator last year, I had great AC at 105 degrees mid-summer. I still have some cooling, but it is weak. Trouble is, it is very hard to get to the AC connections in the smart without removing the entire front clip.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:35 PM   #6
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
We had the same issue at first until we figured out how to setup the dials...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote