Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2019, 07:05 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chappaqua , New York
Above cabinet rope lighting

I have a 2014 EXT Lounge and a portion of the over cabinet rope lighting is out. Has anyone had to replace a portion? Is this easy to fix or am I going to have to disassemble the cabinet?

I've been in touch with Airstream and can get the length of LED flex tape but they have not been super helpful in describing how to actually remove and replace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0993.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	344732  
Ajax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Can you see it? Maybe with a mirror? They plug together, perhaps it's a simple fix.

I decided to add some in my FC, and discovered that today, it's no longer "rope" which is the clear tube with LED's but rather a tape with LED's embedded along the length.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT AIRSTREAM USED, but here's the stuff I got on Amazon. It can be cut (carefully) and spliced. The side against the cabinet is simply 3M tape. Peel and stick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71rbreViqAL._SL1200_.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	344733  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chappaqua , New York
Thank you! Much appreciated

Your suggestion will be my go-to option if easily replacing with what Airstream can send me isnt easy at all. They quoted me $21 for 7 feet of the rope lighting so not so bad.

Still hoping someone here with an AI has faced this and can provide coaching on how to get easier access and make the connection.
Ajax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I had a 2014.5. At the rear end of the cabinet over the galley, there is a removable end on a little boxed-off area. Inside of that boxed-off area, I found the plug ends of the rope lights. From there, you can trace the way the lights run.

I had no reason to replace or unplug or trace the lights, so I just tucked them out of the way and re-purposed the area to hold two wine bottles.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
While I have no advice or info for your situation, I like to chime in about good uses for the self stick led light strips, which I can recommend Superbrightleds.com-my source for all related supplies. I have been buying spools of the light strip, and the power transformers, switches and dimmers and various parts to easily assemble the length of strip to fit the situation.

I have used this in home cabinets and under table lighting to great effect.

Like many others, the cool bluish harsh led lights in the Airstream is not appealing and I keep hoping for ways to change all of them to the warm led color (2700-3000K levels).

The thought hit me a couple weeks ago - why not make a led light strip for under the AS table, down the middle and long enough to go from leg to almost the wall?
Use the 120v outlet under the table for the transformer plug and the touch sensitive dimmer to adjust the level. I used the 2700K strip since I still have some from the roll I used for other things. Thus in the evening, I can turn most of the harsh AS lights off or dimmed down, and create ambience with the under the table lighting! Works great.

With that success, another thought - in the upper cabinet over the table in our Serenity (has the translucent plastic slider doors). It has an outlet inside for the transformer plug. So I cut the led strip for most of the cabinet length and stuck it to the slider door track so it is hidden. Then used a toggle switch double back taped inside (again all these parts are from the same source, and reasonably priced). I could easily swap out the switch to a dimmer, but after seeing the nice warm light, I didn't need to change anything. I wish the other two overhead cabinets had a power source inside so I could do the same...but sadly they don't.
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Pierce View Post
The thought hit me a couple weeks ago - why not make a led light strip for under the AS table, down the middle and long enough to go from leg to almost the wall?
Use the 120v outlet under the table for the transformer plug and the touch sensitive dimmer to adjust the level.
Great idea!
I plan to mount mine above the front cabinet in the FC. It would be over the table. The strip I bought contains three color LEDs in each module. It's powered by a USB port, but I think there's a power outlet in the DVD cabinet. So I bought a AC to USB cube.
It come with a remote that lets you control the brightness as well as the color, and some effects which, IMO, are all annoying. But if you feel like blue, no problem, yellow the next day, okay. It will illuminate the panel above the cabinet, but be hidden.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:49 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
Pictures or it didn't happen
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:22 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
I ordered several rolls of lights in different colors of white. Also the remotes so you can turn them on and off and dim them. Some I've got on ac but most I have on 12 vdc. Got them off ebay and I think they were about $8-$12 a roll.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote