Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-22-2019, 07:09 AM   #1
Just an old timer...
 
85MH325's Avatar

 
2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,505
Images: 37
A nearly quarter-million-dollar Airstream!

I never thought I'd see the day...

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/202...ion-5007197687
__________________
AIR 2053 Current: 2004 Airstream Interstate "B-Van" T1N Sprinter & 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
kidjedi's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 973
Really? Matthew McCaughnahay has multiple million dollar plus builds.
__________________
25' 1972 Airstream Trade Wind Land Yacht (heavily customized)
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel)
BeahmStream.com
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
Really? Matthew McCaughnahay has multiple million dollar plus builds.
Reference? The only one I've heard talked about is this 2004 International which, while nice, does not appear lavish.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
kidjedi's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 973
Not sure if there's an online reference. I heard it "straight from the horse's mouth." (Timeless Travel Trailers here in Denver (Wheatridge) made them for him).
__________________
25' 1972 Airstream Trade Wind Land Yacht (heavily customized)
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel)
BeahmStream.com
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
Site Team
 
wulfraat's Avatar

 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,911
Images: 1
A nearly quarter-million-dollar Airstream!

Yes Timeless will build you a custom trailer from scratch. They are one of 2 outfits that can order blank shells from airstream to my knowledge. (No windows, no interior, just basic electrics required for rolling down the road legally).

When they order a blank shell it costs almost as much as a finished unit dealer cost. From there, well, when you put several thousand man hours of skilled labor into a custom build youíll pay for it, and youíll get what you pay for.

Iíve seen much of their work here in Denver and itís outstanding. Itís a different level. Fit and finish and quality is what your expect from a full custom build with no compromises. Theyíve worked on two of my trailers to customize after purchasing from the factory. Very happy with the outcome and cost / value equation. Most importantly they are 100% customer focused and will do what it takes to ensure their customers are wicked happy with the outcome.

$250k would be on the lower end of a full custom trailer build.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #6
Just an old timer...
 
85MH325's Avatar

 
2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,505
Images: 37
The Sprinter-based van I linked to is NOT a custom build. Itíd on an Airstream dealerís lot.
__________________
AIR 2053 Current: 2004 Airstream Interstate "B-Van" T1N Sprinter & 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:49 PM   #7
Site Team
 
wulfraat's Avatar

 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,911
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
The Sprinter-based van I linked to is NOT a custom build. Itíd on an Airstream dealerís lot.
Yeah but you are out the door at $196 + taxes/registration on that RV. So does that count?
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:53 PM   #8
The Aluminum Tent 3
 
pcskier's Avatar
 
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,739
A nearly quarter-million-dollar Airstream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
Really? Matthew McCaughnahay has multiple million dollar plus builds.
Custom builds by Timeless have nothing to do with the OPís point...that AS now has units priced at $250,000 list.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:29 AM   #9
Just an old timer...
 
85MH325's Avatar

 
2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,505
Images: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Yeah but you are out the door at $196 + taxes/registration on that RV. So does that count?
Not. Even. A. Little. Bit.

Iím afraid itís pretty rarified air up there from down here where I live.

I bought my first Airstream, a 1970 Safari Special in 1987 when it was just an old trailer for $2k. I bought my Ď61 Bambi in 1998 for $1200. I bought my Ď85 325 motorhome in 2000 for $29k. I bought my Ď04 Interstate in April for $12k. All used, and all old I recognize... but thatís a far cry from $250k. Or even $196k!

And, quite honestly, even if I HAD that kind of money to throw away, I sure as H*ll wouldnít spend it on a motorhome!
__________________
AIR 2053 Current: 2004 Airstream Interstate "B-Van" T1N Sprinter & 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:05 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
AlanMcD's Avatar
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 174
Class A's

Their class A's they used to make were over that price point plus rumor has it they're coming out with class A's again and they will undoubtedly be well over that price point, too.
__________________
-Alan
Cincinnati, OH
Blog: https://alanandcarie-airstream.blogspot.com/
AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,614
A fool and his/her money are soon parted. I hope that anyone considering a quarter-mil Airstream first reads the "Atlas is history" thread (or what's left of it) and related forum threads.

That being the case, people have the right to spend their hard-earned money the way they see fit. Personally I believe some investments are better than others, but (drumroll please) guess what? Not everyone agrees with my assessment.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:57 AM   #12
Just an old timer...
 
85MH325's Avatar

 
2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,505
Images: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
A fool and his/her money are soon parted. I hope that anyone considering a quarter-mil Airstream first reads the "Atlas is history" thread (or what's left of it) and related forum threads.

That being the case, people have the right to spend their hard-earned money the way they see fit. Personally I believe some investments are better than others, but (drumroll please) guess what? Not everyone agrees with my assessment.

I'm all FOR "investing." BUT, "investing" means that you're trying to get return on the money you invest. It is possible, for example, to invest in real estate in anticipation of positive returns on your capital. Motorhomes, however, are a depreciable asset, and buying new loses you money. In the case of Airstream motorhomes, BIG money.

And you're absolutely right on two counts; first is that folks have the right to spend their cash in any way they see fit; and second is the old saw you started your post with, "a fool and his money are soon parted."

I don't have a lot of money, and what I have was too hard earned to throw away to depreciation... ESPECIALLY the kind of depreciation we see on these coaches. But, I'm really in awe of those who have enough cash that it's not an issue for them. AND I appreciate them, because their used coaches are ultimately the ones I buy... ten or fifteen years down the road.
__________________
AIR 2053 Current: 2004 Airstream Interstate "B-Van" T1N Sprinter & 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
Mansderm161's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 798
I was at the factory last month. They told me list price on the new Atlas was $260K.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
I'm all FOR "investing." BUT, "investing" means that you're trying to get return on the money you invest. It is possible, for example, to invest in real estate in anticipation of positive returns on your capital. Motorhomes, however, are a depreciable asset, and buying new loses you money. In the case of Airstream motorhomes, BIG money. . .
Agree motorhomes are not investments - but rather depreciating assets.

My favorite B-van builder, Advanced RV, just announced a program to help minimize some of that depreciation loss. They will buy back their vans at above market for cash. Linked video has details.

https://youtu.be/fk0hOdSfrGQ
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
....Advanced RV, just announced a program to help minimize some of that depreciation loss. They will buy back their vans at above market for cash.....
"Baja" is currently listed for sale for the deeply discounted price of $328,013.



With its electric green and turquoise interior, "Baja" won't be to everyone's taste. Looking at the specs, I can't really see anything that justifies that price, even with superior workmanship relative to the industry average.

Anyway, yeah, there are others in the range of about half that price. Interesting that ARV is offering financing on many of these. That's a hassle that I would not expect an in-demand upfitter to mess with.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
"Baja" is currently listed for sale for the deeply discounted price of $328,013.



With its electric green and turquoise interior, "Baja" won't be to everyone's taste. Looking at the specs, I can't really see anything that justifies that price, even with superior workmanship relative to the industry average.

Anyway, yeah, there are others in the range of about half that price. Interesting that ARV is offering financing on many of these. That's a hassle that I would not expect an in-demand upfitter to mess with.
Yes - that Baja model is pricey - but it has a combination of systems you can't get on any other B-van.

I posted that video as this thread is about quarter-million dollar vans. That is about the starting price of an Advanced RV.

Offering financing is very typical for RVs in general. Outside Van, a custom van builder in the same price range does not offer financing directly, but will help owners find it. However, Sportsmobile, another ARV competitor, does also offer financing.

https://sportsmobile.com/buying-preowned/
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,445
Buying a quarter-million dollar RV requires financing for most people. With that thought I saw this article in WSJ about how people are buying cars they can't afford using long term financing.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-sev...e002689b40d3b1

"The Seven-Year Auto Loan: Americaís Middle Class Canít Afford Its Cars
Inexpensive and generous financing is putting consumers deep in debt"


For RVs some people are using 20 year loans. Seems crazy to me.
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #18
Prof. of Pending Projects
 
wachuko's Avatar
 
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,569
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Buying a quarter-million dollar RV requires financing for most people. With that thought I saw this article in WSJ about how people are buying cars they can't afford using long term financing.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-sev...e002689b40d3b1

"The Seven-Year Auto Loan: Americaís Middle Class Canít Afford Its Cars
Inexpensive and generous financing is putting consumers deep in debt"


For RVs some people are using 20 year loans. Seems crazy to me.
Count me in the crazy bunch... it was the only way that we could get one now...
__________________
Safe travels!
Wachuko
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #19
Contributing Member
 
Pahaska's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 7,070
Images: 4
I would like to see a low-cost Atlas. Eliminate the slide, but keep the storage under the slide. Keep the nice bath. Replace the Murphy with at least 30" wide twins. Use the current GT interior as a general pattern for the balance of the interior. Make the jacks optional. One 24" TV, non-retracting.

It would make a perfect 2-person rig with plenty of move-around space with the price brought down to something more reasonable.
__________________
John W. Irwin
2018 Interstate GT, "Sabre-Dog V"
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #20
Prof. of Pending Projects
 
wachuko's Avatar
 
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I would like to see a low-cost Atlas. Eliminate the slide, but keep the storage under the slide. Keep the nice bath. Replace the Murphy with at least 30" wide twins. Use the current GT interior as a general pattern for the balance of the interior. Make the jacks optional. One 24" TV, non-retracting.

It would make a perfect 2-person rig with plenty of move-around space with the price brought down to something more reasonable.
I would buy that to stay with Airstream... would prevent me from buying the LTV Unity TB that we are looking at now ( I can't get my wife to back of that purchase... I can delay it maybe by a year or so, but she is completely set on moving on to it... I tell you! I do not know this woman, I tell you!)

They copied the LTV Unity MB so why can't they copy the LTV Unity TB?? Does not hurt to send Airstream an email asking for it... let me do that now...
__________________
Safe travels!
Wachuko
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st Year AS FC had Never-Lube Bearings and Never-Adjust Brakes? cru-in Airstream Lifestyle 2 07-29-2019 08:04 AM
Never say never..... StuartsDad Member Introductions 3 08-27-2018 04:36 PM
Never thought of this jcanavera Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 4 06-11-2017 05:36 AM
Never Thought I'd Get Excited About This..... Fly at Night Airstream Lifestyle 45 03-11-2012 09:28 AM
Thought for the day - Airstream Rear Window THEPILL Our Community 20 04-12-2010 06:26 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.