Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Basking Ridge , New Jersey
a few more Northern California/Oregon Questions

Thanks to all who replied to my other post about the routing.

I do have some more questions:

1) Are we restricted from taking Interstates through the Caldecott Tunnel (California Highway 24)? Conflicting messages about LP gas. If my switch is off, am I okay to pass through the tunnel? or do I carry too much propane?

2) If the Sysikou Pass is open on I-5 I still need to be carrying chains correct? and that would be a dually set for the drive wheels only? Anybody have recommendations on a supplier?

3) anybody know dump station locations in the North Bay and East Bay areas?

Again, Thanks in advance for your reponses.

Silver 2014.5 Interstate EXT
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Regarding the tunnel, I would contact CalTrans for the regulations.

Mountain passes in the winter are subject to sudden weather changes, I would carry chains. Again contact CalTrans or CHP regarding regulations on duals.

Bill Kerfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletbison View Post

1) Are we restricted from taking Interstates through the Caldecott Tunnel (California Highway 24)? Conflicting messages about LP gas. If my switch is off, am I okay to pass through the tunnel? or do I carry too much propane?

2) If the Sysikou Pass is open on I-5 I still need to be carrying chains correct? and that would be a dually set for the drive wheels only? Anybody have recommendations on a supplier?

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:

1) Are we restricted from taking Interstates through the Caldecott Tunnel (California Highway 24)? Conflicting messages about LP gas. If my switch is off, am I okay to pass through the tunnel? or do I carry too much propane?.
Looks like you are good on that. The regulation they cite is this: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...ctionNum=31301.

"No person shall transport any explosive substance, flammable liquid, liquefied petroleum gas or poisonous gas in a tank truck, trailer, or semitrailer through the Caldecott Tunnel located on State Highway, Route 24, near the Alameda-Contra Costa County boundary, connecting Oakland with Contra Costa County in the East Bay area at any time other than between the hours of 3 a.m. to 5 a.m."

AI is not a tank truck, trailer or semitrailer. If you are really in doubt, looks like they let you go between 3:00am and 5:00am.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The other original thread is here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...st-174605.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Looks like you are good on that. The regulation they cite is this: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...ctionNum=31301.

"No person shall transport any explosive substance, flammable liquid, liquefied petroleum gas or poisonous gas in a tank truck, trailer, or semitrailer through the Caldecott Tunnel located on State Highway, Route 24, near the Alameda-Contra Costa County boundary, connecting Oakland with Contra Costa County in the East Bay area at any time other than between the hours of 3 a.m. to 5 a.m."

AI is not a tank truck, trailer or semitrailer. If you are really in doubt, looks like they let you go between 3:00am and 5:00am.
My understanding is that the regulations relate to commercial transport. It was a gasoline transport truck the exploded in the tunnel in the 80's that triggered the change.

I would call the CHP office in Oakland
https://www.chp.ca.gov/find-an-offic...-gate-division

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:

scarletbison, just a heads up, you have two passes in 2 jurisdictions that likely have different regulations.

In CA you have the Weed/Black Butte pass and the snow zone often extends much further S & N. http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist2/chainup/allcntys.htm the link to the CA chain control chart (pdf) is on the left.

In Oregon you have Siskiyou Pass. https://tripcheck.com/Pages/Chain-Law The snow zone is much shorter, basically up and over.

Even tho they about an hour apart, I have experienced different weather and road conditions. Last Feb heading S, Siskiyou was dry and clear and Black Butte, the roads were bladed but had 4" of snow on the ground/shoulder and lightly snowing.

I tow and carry two sets of chains (TV & TT) because in OR, if you don't have them and controls are in place (not necessarily meaning that they need to be installed) the ticket is quite significant.The regulations (when not towing) may be different, depending on GVW and whether you have traction tires. https://tripcheck.com/Pages/Traction-Tires

I watch tripcheck closely as it covers both Siskiyou but also the Weed/Black Butte section of I-5. My advice is to buy chains and carry them They're not that expensive and much cheaper than the ticket. Plus not towing and chaining up and making headway is a good option If I'm towing and need to chain up both rigs, I'll likely wait at the bottom of the hill.

Safe journey.

Bob

p.s. do your homework but it looks like you only need 1 tire/side chained in a dually setup
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Seattle , Washington
That accident in the Caldecott Tunnel was horrifying. I lived there and once they reopened the tunnel, you'd drive over patches of molten metal that used to be cars. The patches were spread out over quite a distance.
FarFetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Buy chains from Les Schwab. They are all over in Oregon, California, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, and Utah.

You can return them at the end of the season if you do not use them.

I like their quick fit cable option.

Also, remember if chains are required in Oregon, then you must chain at least one axle of the trailer.

Lastly, you might consider snow tires for the pickup, or having your current tires siped.