Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2019, 10:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
5 states, 2 provinces, 2800 miles of trouble-free exploring

Just thought I'd post a quick note about my recent trip up to Banff/Jasper and many points in between. Often times folks post about troubles they've had, and I think it scares some peeps away from this type of travel. Sure, troubles can happen, but it's not all doom and gloom. I was re-reading a post by ScottP and I think he summed it up pretty well: Get out there. Pick a travel rig (anything....Airstream, SOB, doesn't matter), point it in a direction, and go! Make awesome memories for you and your family.

On this trip: Bear? Yup! Glaciers? Uh huh (lots of them). Mountain goats? Check! Aqua blue lakes and rivers? Mhmm. Even had a friendly elk come by our campsite in Banff to say "Hello" and make sure we were enjoying our stay. Everything worked perfectly, and we had a great time. Memories made.

Safe travels.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Awesome!
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Love it! Those elk are right friendly!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:16 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Poulsbo , Washington
We’re leaving in 4 days for our first trip to Banff! Can’t wait! What one thing should we be sure to do while we’re there?
DougFelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFelts View Post
We’re leaving in 4 days for our first trip to Banff! Can’t wait! What one thing should we be sure to do while we’re there?

Hopefully you booked your camping spots already as they are VERY busy this time of year. Jasper in particular is hard to get a spot for due to the various campground closures as they update/upgrade them.

The ONE thing to be sure to do when visiting that area is take your time to drive the Icefield Parkway between Banff and Jasper, and stop at all the little pullouts to see stunning glaciers and aqua blue lakes. If there's a sign for a campground and hiking, stop in and go for a walk. It's so pretty up there! Also always have your camera at the ready. You never know when you're going to see a bear, moose, elk, deer, or mountain goat!

Oh....and one thing NOT to do: I would avoid Lake Louise like it was the plague. Too many people! The overflow parking 2km away fills up by 10am, and even driving a smaller coach through town is not recommended. Spend your time at the little pullouts along the way and you'll be much happier.

Have a great trip!
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
We just came back from the same 5 state 3 province trip at a little over 3500 miles. Flawless performance from the T1N 2007 Airstream Interstate. I agree about Lake Louise. We were fortunate to find a no reservation camp ground along the Icefield Parkway.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
MJAI

2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
north Prince George , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebtown View Post
We just came back from the same 5 state 3 province trip at a little over 3500 miles. Flawless performance from the T1N 2007 Airstream Interstate. I agree about Lake Louise. We were fortunate to find a no reservation camp ground along the Icefield Parkway.
Lake Louise was beautiful but very busy place.
MJAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We visited Lake Louise very early in the morning and had no problems parking near the lake. You must get there as early as possible. Before 9am!
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:28 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
Thankfully we have been to Lake Louise in the past. We unfortunately arrived there in the middle of the day this trip.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote