Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2018, 07:07 AM   #1
DudleyD

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Victor , Idaho
4 versus 2 wheel

My wife and I just put the down payment on 2018 Interstate. I am really laboring over the need for 4 wheel. We will use unit most in West and sometime in east. We like shoulder seasons. Lack of crowds. My wife and I are concerned over height and wind impact, drive. Does anyone have info on gas mileage difference. An expensive option and I don’t want to waist money but there is sways “peace of mind” anyone who can give us some insight? Need to decide today[emoji3] sorry
Old 01-15-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
We use an SUV that has 4 wheel drive. Have had it for the past 10 yrs. with no problems. Pulling the trailer I have had to use it at least once or maybe twice a yr. Ea. time I was very happy to have it. If I was to get a different vehicle, I would make sure it had 4 wd. I've been stuck backing up with trailer on wet pavement that had an incline, going back or forward on wet grass. Just this past week , I was trying to back up on a driveway that had a very steep incline with 4 people, back tires started to spin, put it in 4 wd and up we went. JMHO
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
I like the confidence of 4wd. Have been in many situations over the years that required 4wd for me to get into or out of my campsite. Most of those times were simply wet grass. Under normal circumstances you may never need 4wd, but when you need it it's nice to flip a switch and motor right along. You can expect a 4wd to get worse economy than a 2wd, usually 2 to 3 mpg. Most 4wds are fitted with heavier sway bars than thier 2wd counterparts, which helps keep the higher body stable in winds. You will hear a lot about limited slip and posi traction 2wds. Yes a limited slip or locked rear end is better than an open rear end 2wd, but I'll take 4 wheels spinning over two in low traction situations any day.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I don’t know that he will be pulling a trailer much with his Interstate.

I personally would go with the air suspension over the 4x4. Out west there are more unpaved BLM roads where the extra height of the 4x4 may come in handy but you also have some long distances to travel where the air suspension will be nice. There is some ability to raise the rear with the air suspension so that may reduce the risk of getting stuck high center but air will not help with approach angles so it’s not as capable off-road.

We try to avoid traveling in really cold weather because it’s difficult to stay warm in a minimally insulated metal box. But if you do get caught in inclement weather driving through a mountain pass in late fall or early spring you may find that the active stability control does an adequate job keeping you nose forward which mitigates many of the advantages 4x4s had in the past.

Oh, and if you ever get a 4x4 stuck, you’re really stuck.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #5
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
This is the only option I kept going back and forth...and my initial purchase was going to be a 4x4 Grand Tour that the dealer had in their lot. But wife saw the interior color of the TB and the Lounge layout and we ended ordering one. I would have like to have both air ride and 4x4 but Airstream does not offer both. Either you select air ride or 4x4 option. In the back of my mind I wish I had gone with 4x4.... only for the piece of mind it provides...

Now I hope that I am never in a situation where I will need it...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Hephzibah , Georgia
AI GT 4WD - Food for Thought

As new owner of a 2018 AI GT 4WD with just under 4000 miles under the belt, the biggest benefit IMHO has been in the area of road clearance. I have less anxiety for high curbs, speed bumps, an high angles of departures from driveways and filling stations. Having crawled around underneath my AI for inspections, I appreciate the extra 4 inches of clearance as there are several low hanging critical systems. I also relish knowing that that wet grass/mud during heavy rains will be less of an issue at less improved/primitive campsites. Another benefit of having 4WD is that it makes the art of driving onto leveling blocks significantly easier to accomplish.. Just my thoughts and observations...Good Luck and Happy Camping!!
MISGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Read previous comments about this subject in the Forum. I have the air suspension and prefer a smoother ride and less rattling. The 4WD model sit's up too high and has a bumpy ride.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
My local dealer told me the other day that you can now have 4x4 AND the air suspension, and he followed up with a confirmatory email. It’s started to make me interested again!

I would always go for the 4x4 option for the extra ground clearance alone: our preference is for dry camping, BUT I have grounded the rear overhang many times, breaking the trailer socket and bracket each time. The extra 3-4” would also help in getting underneath for maintenance.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurossjr View Post
My wife and I just put the down payment on 2018 Interstate. I am really laboring over the need for 4 wheel. We will use unit most in West and sometime in east. We like shoulder seasons. Lack of crowds. My wife and I are concerned over height and wind impact, drive. Does anyone have info on gas mileage difference. An expensive option and I don’t want to waist money but there is sways “peace of mind” anyone who can give us some insight? Need to decide today[emoji3] sorry

Do you really live in Victor? We lived in Jackson and Teton Springs during the past five years.

Huh...

Please don’t take this badly, but how could you not choose 4wd?

And I mean that in the nicest way.

I’ll PM my cell phone, and I encourage you to call if I can help in any way.

It’s not even a choice, or an option to skip 4wd in my opinion...between the Pass, the terrain there, the amazing access.

From our perspective the increased height of the front end (4wd) contributes to a better handling van, with a better ride than the 2wd. Gas mileage? We don’t notice any difference.
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurossjr View Post
1/2 ton 3/4 ton? For us 4x4 hands down.

Safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
1/2 ton 3/4 ton? For us 4x4 hands down.

Safe travels
Sorry I missed the boat on this one.

Best regards
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
Well I hate to be the odd man
I have had both
The initial cost savings is enough to convince me to stay with 2wd
The real savings is in fuel mileage and those costly front U joint replacements
I enjoy the softer ride.
You could get a whole lot of short tows with the savings
Old 01-15-2018, 10:27 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
It’s the sort of thing you probably won’t use a lot, but when you do, you will be VERY glad to have it! Personally, I wouldn’t be without it!
LazyGray2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
We prefer a two wheel drive. You talk about extra ground clearance but that also means higher to get in and out of. We don't boondock and have never had an instance where we needed four wheel drive. We have over 90,000 miles towing our 30' Classic and are very happy.
YMMV.
Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
We took delivery last year on our ordered 4x4 GT. Both of us liked the look of the higher clearance (note, the back end isn’t as lifted as the front, so a bit odd), but also wanted the extra traction if necessary to get in/out of sticky situations.
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post
... but also wanted the extra traction if necessary to get in/out of sticky situations.
I actually find the sticky situations less a problem than those non-sticky (slippery) situations.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
We are on our third AI, in the last eight years and we have never had an issue with ground clearance or been uncomfortable driving the two wheel drive version. The latest 2017 has the air suspension and I was surprised at what a difference it makes in the handling and smooth ride, especially on curvy mountain roads, and towing the Jeep.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:10 PM   #18
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Peace of mind... goodness... not piece of mind... I will give you a piece of my mind... I want the peace of mind...

Anyway... we are new, this is our first... if we ever change for a newer model down the line we will go with 4x4 and hopefully by then air ride will be something that can be ordered as well...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
Mpg

No one addressed mpg like you had asked for. We went 8,000 in 2017 pulling our AS . Our trip gauge read 13.6 mpg ,usually our 2013 F150 gets 19-21mpg when not pulling. We were caught in snow in Montana and was I happy we had 4 wheel drive available.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Ground , Washington
2 WD for me!

For all the other reasons, if I’m pulling my Flying Cloud and need 4wd then I’m in the wrong place and need to shut down!!! The tongue weight will get me a short distance to camp until things melt!!!
Deserthiker is offline   Reply With Quote