Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2018, 07:30 PM   #21
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Alex, as a career electrical contractor and past IAEI member it is nice for a change to see someone on a forum that actually understands electrical distribution. I see a lot of nonsense and mis-information on various forums and often need to bite my tongue.

Most of the inspectors I have known throughout the years are retiring, as I will be soon. The new, younger ones coming in do not know the codes, and they are enforcing hearsay and whatever else they think they know. It is hard for me as an experienced tradesman with my years of code knowledge to deal with these inspectors who assume I an just some hack and need to be told the right way to do it, when in fact my knowledge far exceeds theirs. I try and teach them when I can, some listen, others pay me no mind. I have gotten more than one in hot water when I called their supervisors when they would not relent on a perceived violation but even those supervisors are gone now and the new ones are reluctant to go against their inspector's call.

My biggest complaint is this. We have a book, it's all there. If we both follow the book there should be no problems. I follow the book, 100%. If they don't follow the very code book they are enforcing then we are not on the same page, how can we expect to complete work that will pass inspections? It costs me time and money because of their stubborn ignorance.

We have IAEI meetings where we regularly meet and review codes and code changes, but none of the new inspectors go to them because they don't get paid to attend.

Sorry for the rant....I am really ready to retire.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Alex, as a career electrical contractor and past IAEI member it is nice for a change to see someone on a forum that actually understands electrical distribution. I see a lot of nonsense and mis-information on various forums and often need to bite my tongue.

Most of the inspectors I have known throughout the years are retiring, as I will be soon. The new, younger ones coming in do not know the codes, and they are enforcing hearsay and whatever else they think they know. It is hard for me as an experienced tradesman with my years of code knowledge to deal with these inspectors who assume I an just some hack and need to be told the right way to do it, when in fact my knowledge far exceeds theirs. I try and teach them when I can, some listen, others pay me no mind. I have gotten more than one in hot water when I called their supervisors when they would not relent on a perceived violation but even those supervisors are gone now and the new ones are reluctant to go against their inspector's call.

My biggest complaint is this. We have a book, it's all there. If we both follow the book there should be no problems. I follow the book, 100%. If they don't follow the very code book they are enforcing then we are not on the same page, how can we expect to complete work that will pass inspections? It costs me time and money because of their stubborn ignorance.

We have IAEI meetings where we regularly meet and review codes and code changes, but none of the new inspectors go to them because they don't get paid to attend.

A lot of us would love to follow you around and learn more. Even being in this business, I was trained as a pilot and not a electrical engineer so I pay attention when veteran electrical contractors speak.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post

ITSNO60 - No need for apologies. All so true. I dealt with same situation with the new breed of coders/programmers and field service engineers. The in-depth knowledge and logical troubleshooting processes are lacking. No surprise it's also reflective in the auto/rv industry providers. We are losing the expertise of the trades and the craftsmanship. The good thing for you (and me) is it's just a job & a career that you will be retiring soon from - then you get to really live life. Retirement is great. Sounds like you are ready. For me, it's been all good. Hoping it is for you too.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Not without changes. That is a 220 volt outlet probably for a welder. Has no neutral connection, just two hots and a ground. Not safe for a 30 amp Airstream connection under any circumstances.

Mr. Warn is also correct. No way to directly adapt that socket to RV use. Run a new circuit according to code for RV-30 or RV-50. Don’t chance blowing up all your stuff in the trailer.
Agree. DO NOT use as is or with any adapters.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Palmyra , Virginia
No, this can NOT be used as is.
1) this is a 3 wire 240v outlet using a combined ground/neutral.
2) It is probably an illegal backfeed, but could be legal if is a dedicated circuit using an interlinked lockout at the main breaker box. In short a direct run to the main breaker box and set up so that physically only the main breaker or the breaker for the generator can be on but not both at the same time.

That said, It can be made to work, but it will require some rewiring and a new outlet.
If you do not know how to handle the job. Do not try. Get a electrician to do the job.
1) lock out power to the outlet
2) confirm power is off by testing at the outlet
3) remove old outlet
4) wire black/white/ground to the new RV 30amp outlet.
5) at breaker box turn off main breaker.
6) remove interlock (if equiped)
7) remove White wire from double pole breaker and install on neutral bus
8) insure ground wire is on dedicated ground bus if you're on a sub panel
9) double check all connections at both ends
10) close everything up.
11) turn on main breaker
12) turn on branch breaker
13) using a voltmeter test hot to neutral and hot to ground to insure you read 115/120 volts.

To restore would be the opposite but only do so if it was properly set up with a dedicated run to main breaker box and an interlock device...otherwise get a electrician in to do the job right. It's not only illegal but is highly dangerous not only to the home owner and his generator, but for any linecrew working to restore power. DO NOT USE AN ILLEGAL GENERATOR SETUP. TAKE THE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT.
Scoutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiphoyt View Post
My brother has the below outlet in his barn that we would like to plug into while visiting. Is this something that would work?Attachment 324754

Attachment 324755
The MOST important thing about this situation is that YOU WERE SMART ENOUGH TO ASK!

that's a good sign right there
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiphoyt View Post
My brother has the below outlet in his barn that we would like to plug into while visiting. Is this something that would work?Attachment 324754

Attachment 324755

That may be 30 A 220V. DO NOT PLUG IN till someone confirms the voltage