Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2024, 06:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Plant City , Sunshine State on the west coast.
2024 or 2025 looking to jump into Interstate 19e

We are in-search of a shorter VAN and looking to jump from our very much loved 24' foot to a 19' foot Interstate 19e. We're not selling our current brand. Click Here not interested in pricing differences.

It's just that our brand does not build a 19' foot or 144WB in MB. I did read through the online Owner's Manual and parts listing which I enjoyed. Our Van has the Lithium system which we also like a lot. We jumped into our current VAN when COVID came to our world.

"Tell me your likes and dislikes of the "AI-19e"

1. Our van is great for eating out or taking a shower as our bathroom doors open into the hallway, for a protected little dressing room, of a sort.

2. I love the rear door as I can stand our suitcase up on end. With more storage under the seats.

3. I'm concerned about the AI-19e, which has a smaller 4-cylinder engine, as we would be stepping down from the 6-cylinder we currently have.

4. We like having two induction cooktops on ours and not happy seeing only one Induction cooktop, how does this work for you? good bad. Also, a smaller kitchen cabinet looks grim based on many posts on cabinet construction and flooring issues.

5. I do like a clean stealthy VAN that does not appear to be off-road as 100% of my driving is on roadways.

I hope the little listing above will help you with your feedback on the AI-19e. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 05-18-2024, 08:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
You have posted this in two separate threads about 15 minutes apart. Which one do you want us to post some answers to you questions?
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 06:49 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
You have posted this in two separate threads about 15 minutes apart. Which one do you want us to post some answers to you questions?

Hey Boxster1971, YES, I'm new to this forum and having a bit of a time with the controls. The few things I know that are important i have been unable to use. Photo uploads are most challenging. I have done some reading as this forum is in no way like or mirrors other forums. One wrong move and your stuck, which makes for me a bit of a workout. Also seems to have a lot of members but a small number of Sprinter VAN users, but then I'm new and hoping I'm wrong. As vans are not the same and what may be right or found in one is not in the other and this forum dose not seem to address those small tweaks.

If you know someone who can remove the other that would be helpful. Thanks
Still in my forum learning curve. Thanks for asking.

As to what made the two posts, I had hit enter and saw that I could change the SUBJECT LINE, i think in doing that created the two postings, sadly.

Also, I did look into being a supportive member, but have had bad issues using pay pal with other outlets. That has been my stop sign, but have been informed the from is free and I do hope in time they workout another way for membership to donate to this forum. I also have issues giving truly unneeded information about my ID and having it possibly sold on the world market place to a sub networks. Not that sure about your PAY PAL, I'm sure is safe.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Trails View Post

4. We like having two induction cooktops on ours and not happy seeing only one Induction cooktop, how does this work for you? good bad.
.[/B]
Welcome to Airforums. Yeah, the learning curve is a bit tricky on this forum and even harder on a mobile device.

Do you mean a two burner induction cooktop or two individual cooktops? I’m scratching my head on why you would need two induction cooktops in such a small van so I’m going to assume that you mean two burners. If this is the case, you can easily replace the one with a two burner with some slight modification. I removed our propane cooktop and replaced it with a two burner induction cooktop. The boss lady loves it as she always hated the propane cooktop.

We got this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VVXF4YL...kipTwisterOG=2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2992.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	443551  
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 06:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
E1 Package

Another thing that just came to mind is that since you are now use to the Volta system with your current Coachmen which is nice to have for some - I’m not sure if you are aware of this but with Airstream, that is an added 24k option if I remember correctly. This includes the induction cooktop.

If you don’t spring for that option, you’re going to get a lithium battery setup no where in the 600Ah neighborhood like your Coachmen which is an upgrade from a few years back when they were still installing AGM batteries. That is another thing to consider if you were not aware of it.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:30 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by StogieMan View Post
Another thing that just came to mind is that since you are now use to the Volta system with your current Coachmen which is nice to have for some - Iím not sure if you are aware of this but with Airstream, that is an added 24k option if I remember correctly. This includes the induction cooktop.

If you donít spring for that option, youíre going to get a lithium battery setup no where in the 600Ah neighborhood like your Coachmen which is an upgrade from a few years back when they were still installing AGM batteries. That is another thing to consider if you were not aware of it.
=========================================

StogieMan,

Yes I enjoyed a good cigar for years and loved my old Fuentes and for the newbies I sujest the Kuba-Kuba and a big fan of the General.

Jumping onto he VANs' Thanks for your questions as I will try and address each.
YES, in our brand RV we have two INDUCTION COOKTOPS, no Gas or propane burners. CLICK HERE This should give you the up-to-date changes and not much has changed. Our Brand Is not a VOLTA, it's a Lithionics system with 16.000+ watts output. With 630AH and our VAN is 24' foot at 170WB can stand alone for up to 10 hours with A/C which is 12V Note that the wall of the van are packed and the system cost us $12.000 US Dollars. But we need something smaller and our Brand does not build an MB 144WB. I do have issues but it's got what we need. If we could get a 144WB I would not be searching here. But I'm truly not putting down Airstream and trying to deal with facts. The smaller VAN is $70.000 dollars more for a smaller van with much lower quality. But it works and fills our needs. I do hope I'm wrong and all the hosting aside it will be interesting which I suggest you review page 16, of the Brand link and I noted the interstate did not say 19e.

Hope I got to all of your questions as I look it over once more. No the Galleria truly has not changed that much as were still at 630AH and now you can add another 630AH for 20-hrs standby times. They made it good and built around fixing areas to improve three area three solar panels. Which a person at I think 300 pounds and walk on without harming them. Click the link.

But I did enjoy your feed. Oh yes, also when you store and put on a charge it will also change both house and underhood chassis battery.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:43 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
YES, here is a picture showing both of our induction cooktops.

Here are our two Induction Cooktops.

Name:	two induction cooktops.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	443596

Sadly, this forum will not auto-reduce photo sizing sorry all. If you are reading on your cellular turning sideways is the correct way. One should be viewing pictures and holding a photo up is truly created for video chatting which I hate looking up someone's nose when talking. But that is a putter thing, But I'm sure it's not an issue for phone folks.

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	651.3 KB
ID:	443597

If you own a MB Van 2000+ you will need to pull up tables to lower the spare tire only 21 turns will lower the tire. In case your were thinking about the number, if not sorry.

Name:	REAR DOOR RED LIFT TABS.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	443598
Old 05-20-2024, 02:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
=========================================

StogieMan,

Yes I enjoyed a good cigar for years and loved my old Fuentes and for the newbies I sujest the Kuba-Kuba and a big fan of the General.

Jumping onto he VANs' Thanks for your questions as I will try and address each.
YES, in our brand RV we have two INDUCTION COOKTOPS, no Gas or propane burners. CLICK HERE This should give you the up-to-date changes and not much has changed. Our Brand Is not a VOLTA, it's a Lithionics system with 16.000+ watts output. With 630AH and our VAN is 24' foot at 170WB can stand alone for up to 10 hours with A/C which is 12V Note that the wall of the van are packed and the system cost us $12.000 US Dollars. But we need something smaller and our Brand does not build an MB 144WB. I do have issues but it's got what we need. If we could get a 144WB I would not be searching here. But I'm truly not putting down Airstream and trying to deal with facts. The smaller VAN is $70.000 dollars more for a smaller van with much lower quality. But it works and fills our needs. I do hope I'm wrong and all the hosting aside it will be interesting which I suggest you review page 16, of the Brand link and I noted the interstate did not say 19e.

Hope I got to all of your questions as I look it over once more. No the Galleria truly has not changed that much as were still at 630AH and now you can add another 630AH for 20-hrs standby times. They made it good and built around fixing areas to improve three area three solar panels. Which a person at I think 300 pounds and walk on without harming them. Click the link.

But I did enjoy your feed. Oh yes, also when you store and put on a charge it will also change both house and underhood chassis battery.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, Fuentes are good but too strong for me.

Ah, ok, I think weíre talking about the same thing. One induction cooktop with two burners. I thought that you were referring to two individual induction cooktops and that didnít make any sense to me unless the second one was some sorta outdoor one that you could use when at a campsite.

Got it on the Lithionics setup. I think that Iíve read about fewer issues with that setup than the Volta System so that is something to be aware of and others that have had issues with it can chime in on that. There was another post about a member having Volta issues today. I do the like the build quality of the Coachmen but not a big fan of the interior look and prefer the more modern and sleek looking inside in the Airstream. No offense taken on the Airstream build quality as it really stinks. Many folks on here have complained about it and me being probably one of the loudest ones. Again, what I do like about Airstream is their clean and updated look. Under the covers - now thatís a different story!

I just took a look at the spec sheet and see that they kept the generator along with the Lithionics system which is smart in my opinion. When in doubt and if all else fails at least you have the generator to get you by. With the Volta System, theyíve eliminated the generator option but it does come with a second alternator. I really do like that Coachmen spec sheet and wish Airstream did that or maybe they do and Iíve missed it but itís pretty detailed.

Iím still on the fence about installing a 12v AC but itís on top of my list when ours eventually dies. 12v is definitely less power to run than 120 AC. I too have the 170WB version with duallies and donít think that I could downsize from that. I like the space that I have but then again, there is probably not too much that is stock in our unit. I have a bad habit of tinkering and making changes.

The trick to the pictures is to rotate them a full circle before posting them. At least thatís what works for me.
Old 05-20-2024, 03:36 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, Fuentes are good but too strong for me.

Ah, ok, I think weíre talking about the same thing. One induction cooktop with two burners. I thought that you were referring to two individual induction cooktops and that didnít make any sense to me unless the second one was some sorta outdoor one that you could use when at a campsite.

Got it on the Lithionics setup. I think that Iíve read about fewer issues with that setup than the Volta System so that is something to be aware of and others that have had issues with it can chime in on that. There was another post about a member having Volta issues today. I do the like the build quality of the Coachmen but not a big fan of the interior look and prefer the more modern and sleek looking inside in the Airstream. No offense taken on the Airstream build quality as it really stinks. Many folks on here have complained about it and me being probably one of the loudest ones. Again, what I do like about Airstream is their clean and updated look. Under the covers - now thatís a different story!

I just took a look at the spec sheet and see that they kept the generator along with the Lithionics system which is smart in my opinion. When in doubt and if all else fails at least you have the generator to get you by. With the Volta System, theyíve eliminated the generator option but it does come with a second alternator. I really do like that Coachmen spec sheet and wish Airstream did that or maybe they do and Iíve missed it but itís pretty detailed.

Iím still on the fence about installing a 12v AC but itís on top of my list when ours eventually dies. 12v is definitely less power to run than 120 AC. I too have the 170WB version with duallies and donít think that I could downsize from that. I like the space that I have but then again, there is probably not too much that is stock in our unit. I have a bad habit of tinkering and making changes.

The trick to the pictures is to rotate them a full circle before posting them. At least thatís what works for me.
====================================

Hey StogieMan,

Your back so soon, Yes here is a better photo of the Induction Cooktops. "When you say Burners, I think GAS! but I understand what you mean now.

Name:	Referator in Galleria.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	443601

As for your second paragraph; I do agree.

NO there is NO, FUEL Burning Generator in the Li3, If you don't add the Li3 system then YES you would have a GENERATOR. But I have none. What I do have that is a bit confusing is a second Alternator under the hood. One for the vehicle we all understand. This looks just like that Alternator but recharges the HOUSE Batteries only. The downside some refer to it as a generator which I feel is misleading. The Li3 has no Fuel running Generator.

As for the A/C, being 12V, I live in Florida. Now this brings up my point. My brand took a good system and began tweaking to make it better. Each year it keeps getting better, as they are working for a full four seasonal RV VAN. I think is where they are going from what I have seen.

Don't get me wrong some folks still report issues and not a lot of good. When it comes to my points on being man-made ha-ha. I belong to a group where us older folks were told that the newer VANS were using longer bits of "Shrink-wrap" as some were noticing loose connections. I took a look at my 2000 chassis which was upfitted to the 2021 model. NOTE in the photo shrink-wrap seems to help in two ways 1. makes for a stronger connection. 2. Being mobile keeps electrical current more at an even flow.

This guy, I have learned a lot from as he has the same type of MB brand. I just installed Hood Struts to make opening and closing my hood easier. Check out Click Here

But I do feel like it or not AI-19e is the way we're going to go. Your Paragraph two is why along with that 144WB.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
We are in-search of a shorter VAN and looking to jump from our very much loved 24' foot to a 19' foot Interstate 19e. We're not selling our current brand. Click Here not interested in pricing differences.

It's just that our brand does not build a 19' foot or 144WB in MB. I did read through the online Owner's Manual and parts listing which I enjoyed. Our Van has the Lithium system which we also like a lot. We jumped into our current VAN when COVID came to our world.

"Tell me your likes and dislikes of the "AI-19e"

1. Our van is great for eating out or taking a shower as our bathroom doors open into the hallway, for a protected little dressing room, of a sort.

2. I love the rear door as I can stand our suitcase up on end. With more storage under the seats.

3. I'm concerned about the AI-19e, which has a smaller 4-cylinder engine, as we would be stepping down from the 6-cylinder we currently have.

4. We like having two induction cooktops on ours and not happy seeing only one Induction cooktop, how does this work for you? good bad. Also, a smaller kitchen cabinet looks grim based on many posts on cabinet construction and flooring issues.

5. I do like a clean stealthy VAN that does not appear to be off-road as 100% of my driving is on roadways.

I hope the little listing above will help you with your feedback on the AI-19e. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Based on your comments above I donít understand why you are even considering an AI-19e? As far as I know there are no small Sprinter based B-vans with two burner induction cook tops.

The AI-19e has very limited storage space under the read lounge/seat as that space in consumed by the Volta Power Distribution Hub.

The 4-cylinder OM654 diesel with 9-speed transmission now in all Sprinters in USA since 2023 is a big improvement over the old V-6 diesel. The new engine has more horsepower and torque, plus the 9-speed is well matched to provide a smooth driving experience.
Old 05-24-2024, 09:52 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Based on your comments above I don’t understand why you are even considering an AI-19e? As far as I know there are no small Sprinter based B-vans with two burner induction cook tops.
Boxster1971,

As for your question shown above. I would keep our current brand if I could. But our brand does not build an MB 144WB, which I think, I posted this information above. Truly there is just no room at places we go that permit a 170WB. The AI-19e 144WB appears to be the best we come across with the package we need.

My likes and the differences between the two vans came up in decisions as I'm still learning about the AI-19e systems, still not a fan. It just works or I hope it all will. Plus $65,000 more than what we paid for the 170WB.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Boxster1971,

As for your question shown above. I would keep our current brand if I could. But our brand does not build an MB 144WB, which I think, I posted this information above. Truly there is just no room at places we go that permit a 170WB. The AI-19e 144WB appears to be the best we come across with the package we need.

My likes and the differences between the two vans came up in decisions as I'm still learning about the AI-19e systems, still not a fan. It just works or I hope it all will. Plus $65,000 more than what we paid for the 170WB.
Have you considered the GrechRV TURISMO-ion AWD - a direct competitor to the AI-19e with Lithionics batteries like your Coachman Galleria?

There are many features of the GrechRV TURISMO-ion AWD that I like better than the Airstream AI-19e. The TURISMO-ion AWD has a dual burner induction cooktop that you like.
Old 05-26-2024, 06:46 PM   #13
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ocala , Florida
What he said ^^. Looks like the only one that I could find with dual burner induction cooktop.

https://grechrv.com/model/turismo-ion-awd/

On a side comment, it is ridiculous how prices are now. I must be completely out of touch with the market now... wow!!

Eventually we would love to upgrade to a new AI with the E1 package...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Induction.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	443766  
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 08:17 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Have you considered the GrechRV TURISMO-ion AWD - a direct competitor to the AI-19e with Lithionics batteries like your Coachman Galleria?
Good suggestion still reviewing info as its the same systems as our with the twin induction cooktops thanks as I will be learning more about the 144WB GrechRV today..
Old 05-27-2024, 08:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
+3 on the Grech

Wachuko and Boxster - you guys are back so soon - LOL.

Yup, I like the Grech too and by far they do a better job at attention to detail and with their quality build too unlike Airstream. Price point for them is up there too. If I had the choice to buy new right now - it would be a Grech hands down!
Old 05-27-2024, 10:05 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Ha you long term AI GL owners must know something we don’t yet . When we looked through all the AI GL competitors in 2023. While the prices were 20k less or more on 2021/2022 models
The fit n finish and MB Sprinter options were not the same / or par to us.

Good luck finding the right one. Now I’m wondering when will be looking again and what usable years are for us on our AI. If it’s in 5-7 years, our 2021 would be 10 years old. I’m imagining pricing would be insane in our view than.

Reflecting how RV life is a privilege for us and worth the expenses and difficulties for the memories and time.
Old 05-27-2024, 12:54 PM   #17

Ocala , Florida
Smile

Quote:
Wachuko and Boxster - you guys are back so soon - LOL.

Yup, I like the Grech too and by far they do a better job at attention to detail and with their quality build too unlike Airstream. Price point for them is up there too. If I had the choice to buy new right now - it would be a Grech hands down!
You know... I just noticed that Boxster1971 now has an AI-19 with the E1 option. Very cool.
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-27-2024, 01:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
You know... I just noticed that Boxster1971 now has an AI-19 with the E1 option. Very cool.
Yes - I traded in my old 2013 Interstate 24 for a new AI-19 with E1 back in September last year.

I'm still on the fence about the Volta system. I've had several issues with it already. Worst was the alternator charging didn't work and it took a specific test run to determine it wasn't working since it requires several conditions to work. I suspect it never worked as I had never looked at it closely until I could monitor the Volta system using the myVolta app on my iPhone while driving down the road.

Biggest issue with Volta system is that the Airstream dealers can't fix it without help from Volta in Michigan. It took a remote computer connection of the system with Volta to troubleshoot the fault. In my case the alternator charging wasn't working because of a failed component inside the Volta Power Distribution Hub (PDH). The Airstream dealer is not allowed to open the PDH so to repair it has to be shipped back to Volta or wait for them to ship a replacement to the Airstream dealer.
Old 05-28-2024, 06:00 AM   #19

Ocala , Florida
Quote:
Yes - I traded in my old 2013 Interstate 24 for a new AI-19 with E1 back in September last year.

I'm still on the fence about the Volta system. I've had several issues with it already. Worst was the alternator charging didn't work and it took a specific test run to determine it wasn't working since it requires several conditions to work. I suspect it never worked as I had never looked at it closely until I could monitor the Volta system using the myVolta app on my iPhone while driving down the road.

Biggest issue with Volta system is that the Airstream dealers can't fix it without help from Volta in Michigan. It took a remote computer connection of the system with Volta to troubleshoot the fault. In my case the alternator charging wasn't working because of a failed component inside the Volta Power Distribution Hub (PDH). The Airstream dealer is not allowed to open the PDH so to repair it has to be shipped back to Volta or wait for them to ship a replacement to the Airstream dealer.
Good to know. We do not have that many miles in our rig. 25,000 miles so far. And everything seem to be working fine. But in a few years I would like something with more battery/electric capabilities to not have to depend on having to turn on the generator.

And I really do not feel like tackling a lithium upgrade myself in this rig. Would be nice to buy something that has all this figured out from the factory. Anyway, that is far, far in the future.
WBCCI #26769

Tags
difference, interstate19e, mercedes benz, side by side, van life