Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Seattle , Washington
2022 Airstream Interstate 19 features

Hearing that some of the Airstream Nineteens that are on order will be delivered as 2022 models. I haven’t been able to confirm if mine will be a 2021 or 2022 model. Any idea what the changes for 2022 will be?
Gehlenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:33 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Most dealers seem to be saying that the 2022's will be the same as the 2021's. It looks like there has been a running change on the generator ( new one is not as noisy). I'd bet on a few component changes like that.

Equally interesting: it is not uncommon to see a price increase each year. It looks very much like at least the "early order" 2022's are selling at 2021 prices.

Crazy !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Wapakoneta , OH
I've heard that there are more efficient solar panels, a new house radio, and new house speakers.
wiseguy2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:09 PM   #4

Morgan Hill , California
We just ordered a 2022 4X4 19ft Interstate and they told us they were not aware of any changes - they mentioned the lithium power pack is ordered on all and the quieter generator which we heard and is quiet. The one question I have for the group is the need for a generator still vs other models that are upgrading batteries so you don’t need a generator. Thought on the good and the bad of the current 19 ft Interstate offering ? Thanks -
MNMOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:53 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMOR View Post
We just ordered a 2022 4X4 19ft Interstate and they told us they were not aware of any changes - they mentioned the lithium power pack is ordered on all and the quieter generator which we heard and is quiet. The one question I have for the group is the need for a generator still vs other models that are upgrading batteries so you don’t need a generator. Thought on the good and the bad of the current 19 ft Interstate offering ? Thanks -
Hi

We were told pretty much the same thing when we placed our order. As always, I've heard more about changes here on the forum than elsewhere.

You have 200AH of battery on the Interstate. Since it's Lithium, you can use all of it ( no "only use half" stuff). That sounds like a lot.

The Interstate (like the Classic) has a control system onboard. Depending on this and that, you will dump an amp or two into that all the time. If the fridge is working hard, it will run up to about 3.5A. You *could* be around 5A average drain without working at it very hard.

5A drain is 120AH a day. You would go through your batteries in under two days. That's a pretty tight budget if you aren't out driving around charging things. Even going up to 400AH (by adding 2 more batteries) pushes this out to < 3 days. Still not a lot for off grid kicking back style camping.

Since those numbers are against an assumed 5A load, they should be taken with a bit of care. There are use cases that would pull more power (...turn on the inverter ...). I suspect somebody will pop up with a use case that pushes the 1.5 days out past 2 days.

Yes you *do* have solar. That's great if you are out in the desert with a clear view of the sky. If you are up around the Great Lakes and in deep forest .....maybe not so great. I have a lot of data on that side of it. One day you might get < 10 AH, on another day you might get 60AH.

At least in my book, good to have the generator. Will we use it a lot? I doubt it.. However, it is very much worth having.

Bob
Old 05-14-2021, 08:17 AM   #6
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Given the new generator is quiet and still runs on propane, I'd say it should be a welcome addition to any Class B RV.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Given the new generator is quiet and still runs on propane, I'd say it should be a welcome addition to any Class B RV.
We just received our AI19 a week ago. So far it has been fantastic. The generator is indeed very quiet. That said, we have worked with Lithionics and will be installing a 555 ah battery under the front edge of the sofa. We will also be keeping the 200 ah Battle Born batteries that it came with. That will give us a total of 755 ah to work with. With a 3000 watt inverter, everything will run off battery power and Lithionics has estimated 3 to 4 hours of running the air conditioner on full power. We are having a 2nd alternator installed to fast charge the batteries. Our plan is to remove the generator and install a spare tire back in it’s place. We can’t exactly justify the changes from a cost perspective but for about 8% of our purchase price, we feel like it will be a nice upgrade. The generator was the most annoying part of our 2005 Winnebago View… maintenance hungry, loud, and would randomly not start after a few years. I doubt that would happen again but excited about the idea of battery power. Other than having the 2nd alternator professionally installed we will be doing the rest of the installation ourselves. It will be nice to design and understand exactly how everything works. We are using Victron components because they have a well developed phone app and integrate nicely with CZone in the AI19.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:53 AM   #8
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
The new quieter inverter Cummins generators are in short supply, so you would likely have no trouble quickly selling your quieter inverter generator at a good price, should you wish to do so.

I suggest that before you install a 2nd alternator, make sure doing so won't affect any aspect of your MB warranty or possibly get in the way of (or damage) any existing hoses or belts. I only suggest this because I saw a blog somewhere that said some part of their 2nd alternator pressed or rubbed against and damaged a critical line of some kind (coolant, I think?), which resulted in damaging the engine. That then forced them to pay for the requisite engine repairs without any help from the manufacturer. I might also be confused about which type of van had this issue, because right now I can only find a reference for a Ram ProMaster. So, maybe this hasn't happened on a Sprinter?

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I'd seen only Promaster's with this problem, including James at FitRV. They were mounted too low (possible curb impact) and too close to lower coolant hose.

Transit comes with a factory mount for second alternator so should be ok. No sure, but I think I heard Sprinter has a suitable mount.

The quiet propane and gas generators (gas has fuel injection) should be more reliable. Although I quieted my older gas Onan, it has only briefly been reliable. I with I had one of the new ones, if only for more reliability.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:25 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I'd seen only Promaster's with this problem, including James at FitRV. They were mounted too low (possible curb impact) and too close to lower coolant hose.

Transit comes with a factory mount for second alternator so should be ok. No sure, but I think I heard Sprinter has a suitable mount.

The quiet propane and gas generators (gas has fuel injection) should be more reliable. Although I quieted my older gas Onan, it has only briefly been reliable. I with I had one of the new ones, if only for more reliability.
Yeah… on the 2nd alternator there is a kit (from Nations) that mounts to the factory location but runs off of a separate pulley and belt of its own. This leaves the existing alternator pulley belt system as is… and hopefully lowers the chance of breakdown. The Sprinter is definitely designed for a 2nd alternator vs. the Pro Master. Now I just need to locate an experienced/reputable installer. That’s next on my list.

What worries me on the generator in the AI19 is it’s location and how difficult it is to access for maintenance even though more than likely we’d be taking it in somewhere if there is a failure anyway. On our 2005 Winnebago View, winter road salt was a big challenge and really degraded the non Sprinter portions including the generator, exhaust, slides, etc. Mostly our experience with the propane generator was it would just not always start reliably after a few years.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:42 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Putting two very different makes / models of battery in parallel is generally a bad idea. Yes, a BMS on each battery does help with this. Still, you tend to "overwork" one of the other while letting the other one loaf. The guys at Battle Born have commented on this in various places.

If running the A/C for a couple hours is the target here, you might do better to simply wire that up to the new batteries. Let the Battle Born's run everything else. If using the microwave is part of this, I'd put it on with the A/C. There are a lot of alternatives ....

Bob
Old 05-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Putting two very different makes / models of battery in parallel is generally a bad idea. Yes, a BMS on each battery does help with this. Still, you tend to "overwork" one of the other while letting the other one loaf. The guys at Battle Born have commented on this in various places.

If running the A/C for a couple hours is the target here, you might do better to simply wire that up to the new batteries. Let the Battle Born's run everything else. If using the microwave is part of this, I'd put it on with the A/C. There are a lot of alternatives ....

Bob
Yep! No plan to try and tie the two systems together. We are thinking we’d add a switch that would either direct all the load to 555ah battery system or to offload some to the Battle Born system. We still need to map it all out and come up with something clever. Lots to learn.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:50 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gehlenv View Post
Yep! No plan to try and tie the two systems together. We are thinking we’d add a switch that would either direct all the load to 555ah battery system or to offload some to the Battle Born system. We still need to map it all out and come up with something clever. Lots to learn.
Hi

Blue Sea makes a line of high current latching relays:

https://shop.pkys.com/Blue-Sea-7700-...2V_p_1691.html

They aren't cheap, but they can be "zero drain" if you don't hook up the LED on the switch. Because you can mount the relay remotely from the switch, they make this sort of "switch over" stuff a bit easier. I have several of them on the Classic. I suspect there will be a couple going into the GT when it gets here.

That said, I'd vote for the KISS approach of putting just the big loads on the big batteries. Working out the solar with several battery banks will be enough fun ....

Bob
Old 05-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

So back to the original topic:

Anybody hear any more details about the 2022 Interstates (19' or the 24') ?

Bob
Old 06-02-2021, 07:13 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Bakersfield , California
Our dealer informed us our 19 will be delivered Aug. 27 as a 2022 model, and so there will be a $5k increase in price but not sure if that is true or he’s trying to milk another $5k from us.
Vincentesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:18 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincentesq View Post
Our dealer informed us our 19 will be delivered Aug. 27 as a 2022 model, and so there will be a $5k increase in price but not sure if that is true or he’s trying to milk another $5k from us.
So how does that work? The agreed on price is non binding? Unless you got a deeper discount than anyone else since last years run on RVs started and dealers pretty much decided demand ended negotiating, I'd guess they have room to eat an increase.
Crazy times!
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:37 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Bakersfield , California
My wife changed her mind on the interior colors, so it got bumped from late July to late August. We said ok, then 15 minutes later he said his manager forgot to tell him about the $5k increase in the Mfrp. The increase is firm, no negotiation.
Vincentesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:22 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincentesq View Post
My wife changed her mind on the interior colors, so it got bumped from late July to late August. We said ok, then 15 minutes later he said his manager forgot to tell him about the $5k increase in the Mfrp. The increase is firm, no negotiation.
Sounds like a grab by the dealer but obviously it isn't a buyers market. The purchase is just the start and it's important to get what will make you feel good every time you use it. Shake down in August early September then ready for fall adventures
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

This *is* the time of year that the new prices normally get published. That's the point that the unwashed masses get to see what's what. Eventually we might also find out what options are now standard on the AS we ordered ...

My understanding is that the dealers get the pricing information way ahead of the rest of us.

Bob
Old 06-12-2021, 03:26 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Naples , Idaho
What idea did they give you for a delivery time frame?
CindyIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote