Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2020, 01:53 PM   #21
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I really do not understand why they still use the 1K watts inverter... at a minimum they need to use a 2K inverter/charger... that size will fit where the 1K is now... so minimal changes needed to accommodate it.

If they do that, then they can wire the microwave to the inverter circuit. Leisure Travel Vans is doing this now... again, not a big change and it would make it soooo much better for customers. We hate having to fire up the generator only to use the microwave for a few minutes...

But I am happy with the upgrades made so far... I just hope they would have added those few additional changes as well...

Oh well... I am at a point that I need to decide if I continue to modify mine or not... I do not want to spend the additional $ to do the inverter, rewiring of the microwave, replace AGM batteries for Lithium, quiet A/C....
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #22
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
...and that's what makes the decision to buy a new Airstream Interstate such a difficult one. We had washed our hands of the idea. If it was a new one, it would not have been an Airstream, it would have been something else. But then, this beauty of a used 2016 Interstate pretty much fell into our laps, so now we're upgrading this one instead of buying something new.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:28 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
An alternative is to tote one of the Goal Zero power stations and you can plug in your microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer, even your extra ARB cooler (wachuko).

The microwave has a 3prong 110V power cord and it plugs into a wall outlet behind the microwave. This is accessible (barely) by reaching through the open drawer area next to the microwave. Plug in a 3foot heavy duty extension cord and lash it to the side of the microwave so you can easily reach to unplug the microwave and plug it into an extension cord you have coming from your Goal Zero. Maybe you have that sitting on the floor near the sofa, or way in the back. Maybe you have that cord running behind the jackknife chair so it's easily accessible yet mostly hidden.

Small hassle, huge benefit. Way cheaper than the major upgrades you speak of. Plus, when you sell the rig, you keep the GZ.

As you probably know, I use the big 3000 unit and I have a power cord connected to a second transfer switch to integrate into the coach electronics and charge the house batteries. You don't need to go to all that trouble. You could get the 1000 or 1400 model to save weight and money.

Heck, if you really needed to, you could even run an extension cord outside and plug in the coach as if you were plugging into shore power (haven't done it but seems feasible), but I would only do that if the inverter were off so the limited amount of juice you have would go toward helping your batteries. Options.

I recommend the smaller Goal Zeros only if you just need some assist on shorter trips. If you really want to take advantage of this technology for powering everything for an extra overnight or longer, you will need the 3000.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:53 PM   #24
The Gadget Guru

Airstream - Other
2021 Interstate 24GT
Golden Oak , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
So, after a quick call to Airstream customer service back in August, this is what they told me was in the Lithium Tech Pack. I have yet to see this information on any website since:
  • A pair of 100AH Lithium Batteries
  • Generator Autostart feature that only works off battery voltage, but does not work off the air conditioner thermostat. Ironically, the voltage coming off a Lithium battery pack does not decrease steadily over time as it does for lead-acid batteries.
  • This pack does not change the inverter, which stays at 1,000 watts.
  • It throws in 50 watts of solar to charge the chassis battery and 200 watts of solar to charge the house batteries
  • It includes a dogbone adapter for 30-15 amp
  • It adds some kind of fancy digital media receiver / radio in the rear.
For me, the biggest disappointment in this package was that they did not upgrade the inverter.

I'm receiving some conflicting information from my dealership. I'm to understand that on pre-lithium Interstates, that the autostart can be set to monitor the thermostat and automatically start the generator and the A/C should the temperature rise above a preset level.

By reading the above post, it appears this feature has been removed.

Can I get some clarification? Thank You!
GadgetGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGuru View Post
I'm receiving some conflicting information from my dealership. I'm to understand that on pre-lithium Interstates, that the autostart can be set to monitor the thermostat and automatically start the generator and the A/C should the temperature rise above a preset level.

By reading the above post, it appears this feature has been removed.

Can I get some clarification? Thank You!

I'm not aware that Airstream Interstates ever had this feature, but our new-to-us 2016 unit (pre-firefly!) is also our first Interstate, so it's entirely possible I simply don't have the data, or that its a feature that showed up after they added the touch-screen firefly control system.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:57 PM   #26
The Gadget Guru

Airstream - Other
2021 Interstate 24GT
Golden Oak , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I'm not aware that Airstream Interstates ever had this feature, but our new-to-us 2016 unit (pre-firefly!) is also our first Interstate, so it's entirely possible I simply don't have the data, or that its a feature that showed up after they added the touch-screen firefly control system.
Based on this video, it seems that it is supposed to have this feature. In all fairness, it appears he's talking about the AGM setup and not lithium. Just trying to figure this out.

GadgetGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGuru View Post
Based on this video, it seems that it is supposed to have this feature. In all fairness, it appears he's talking about the AGM setup and not lithium. Just trying to figure this out.

To get a clear answer, at this point I'd be calling Airstream Corporate with this question. [emoji16]

Old 10-10-2020, 10:42 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
Los Angeles , California
on my 2021 Interestate with lithium batteries, I have the options to set the AGS to turn on with HVAC, low voltage...etc. i'll get a picture tomorrow of my setting page.

but AGS is kind of useless, it resets everytime the car is started.
mike2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:05 AM   #29
Amg
3 Rivet Member

Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
It only monitors the batteries and when it reaches level you set the generator will go on. The reason it resets each time is safety. No one would wants the generator to go on automatically by mistake because the auto start was left on.
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:39 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Santa Cruz , CA
I upgraded my 2018 GT to 2021 GT and really love the upgrades! Lithium is great, Sony radio is fine, but my favorite upgrades are the Automatic side door switch and the new kitchen sink & faucet! Sink can fit pots & pans! Also, enjoying new interior lighting motion in bath, aisle, & step!
I wish I understood more about the electronics but I'm leaving that to Airstream (part of the reason I upgraded to the lithium)
I also got the automatic jack option which really seems to help with leveling tanks, etc.
Still discovering upgrades that are not listed in manual
Safe Travels!
RDRYSDALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:21 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
Los Angeles , California
Airstream could've used all Victron products and make them all connected, with a single interface that monitors / control everything for power.

dont understand why they would go with 3 different brands -

Victron for solar MPPT charging
Magnum for inverter / charger
Precison power for AC power load
Old 10-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #32

Probably saved at least $50 bucks that way.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:26 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
Los Angeles , California
Here's the AGS menu on mine. 2021 Interstate 24 GL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68E84631-CB60-494B-AB63-6B607E581302_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	381244  
Old 10-19-2020, 05:16 AM   #34

2021 Interstate GT

Cool, thanks. What happens if you touch the "HVAC Load" button under "Triggers" on the top right of that screen?

Old 01-24-2021, 06:20 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Clinton , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlmeshay View Post
Did you also get the upgraded kitchen sink with the external regular style faucet. I have heard from others who just received their 2021 GT that the sink/faucet was a nice surprise.

Safe travels in your new ride!

Yes! Was also a nice surprise. Sorry for the late response. Safe travels to you!
SSr2rivets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:23 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 Interstate 24GT
Los Angeles , California
I have a 2021 GT on order for May-June delivery. Total newbie. What are the implications of the inverter being 1000w vs 2000w?

Thanks.
Photoshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #37

Implications are that if you have any appliance that draws more than 1,000 watts of AC power, you have to either be connected to shore power or start up your generator. That would include your microwave and most hair dryers, among other things.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
I would second the recommendation for a GZ Yeti 3000 w/ 300AH capacity ... The new X models now have a 2000 Watt inverter (sustained), and can drive most microwaves and other high amp appliances. I just picked up one of the new ones on a Costco sale (which included a 200W portable Solar panel suitcase setup). I have two of the older Yeti 3000's. I don't have an Interstate, but the same applies the trailers. Well worth the investment and they are portable/transferrable which we are thinking ahead for.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #39

2021 Interstate 24GT
Lorton , Virginia
2021 Interstate GT on the way!

Hell all,

I am new to this forum and applaud all the information sharing! Very helpful! We ordered our 2021 AI (gt) a few days ago (Feb 11, 2021) with a delivery date of May (so we were told). We are very excited about entering this new way of traveling. We are not full-timing (even though I would love to), just using it for travel. Likely, not staying out more than a week or so. We will also visit our kids in Texas and Nevada respectively. I have created a "box" for our AI; surge protector, collapsible dish drainer, a few dishes just for rv, and flashlights. We did upgrade to the levelling jacks but declined the 4x4, even though I struggled with that decision. Not sure if we will end up in Lake Tahoe one day! I appreciate any tips for a newbie as we wait a few months (hopefully not longer) as I am going stir crazy working from home. Be blessed!
Conrad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:28 AM   #40
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad W View Post
We ordered our 2021 AI (gt) a few days ago (Feb 11, 2021) with a delivery date of May (so we were told).

Wow, if you can get it in 3 months that’s impressive. Took us almost 6 months from order date (ordered end of August just picked up last weekend). I have heard deliveries on new orders are out to September. Maybe your dealer had a production slot from a canceled order or something?
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote