Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #1
The Gadget Guru

Airstream - Other
2021 Interstate 24GT
Golden Oak , Florida
2020 AI GT A/C Noise

While I'm tossing and turning trying to decide between either a:

1) AI GT
2) Atlas
3) LTV Unity

...one question I have is about the noise level of the A/C in the AI GT. Does it "thunk" when the compressor turns on/off, or is it fairly quiet?

Yes, I realize the Atlas and Unity are different animals than the GT, but these are the three on my short list at this time. FYI, I'm downsizing and coming from a Prevost.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
GadgetGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
The Gadget Guru

Airstream - Other
2021 Interstate 24GT
Golden Oak , Florida
I'll add a second question:

Using the propane generator on the AI GT, approximately how many hours of A/C usage can I expect on a full tank of propane.

Yes, I live in FL and we like air conditioning!
GadgetGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Maybe I can answer. I did get an easy start put on my air conditioner so that helps...I don't really hear a thud. It is not what I would call a quiet air conditioner, but I have gotten used to it. You can leave the fan on continuous if you don't want to hear it stop and start.

Now the generator. Here's my story. I rolled in to South Texas end of May around 2pm and it was hot. I needed my fridge to stay cold. My understanding is that unless plugged in you can't continuously use air. At night, there would be no way to sleep with both the noise of air and generator going. I was going to sleep inside my brother's home one night, then hit the road. So at 2pm with full propane, I turned off everything except fridge, opened windows put up reflectix, and turned on generator. It ran till 8am when it was almost empty and I was leaving anyway. I have boondocked and run the generator and air for an hour in the evening just to cool down.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:11 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Mine does not have the EasyStart and the compressor surge noise is not significant. What IS significant is the fan volume inside the coach. The stock Dometic A/C units are damn loud. Forget about watching TV... and conversation is reduced to the minimum needed to function.

If I lived in the South and spent more than a week per year in the Interstate, I would make it a priority to replace this unit with the Houghton that Advanced RV sells (and they can install). Heck I might do it anyway. I know there are other manufacturer options but I would rather spend another grand or so and knock those decibels down as much as possible. Think resale value and write the check.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I finally installed the EasyStart I have had in a box for about 2 years. I was looking at having ARV install their Houghton(?), but they aren’t doing that kind of work right now.....

I did have that “thud” whenever the compressor started up, but my real reason to install it was give my inverter a break. I had Lew do a lithium upgrade some time back so I can run AC off the larger inverter, but whenever the compressor started I would see a momentary overload on the inverter. It can handle that, but I felt it would be bad in the long run. The EasyStart eliminated the problem, along with that awful “thud” when it started.

Additionally, in very hot conditions before EasyStart, my compressor start would cause the generator to kick out. I had to have the hybrid inverter on to provide that extra kick at startup. Now it works just fine.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:44 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
We had similar usage rates on the generator, about a night is what you can get running both. It does make some noise when the compressor kicks in but it’s not obnoxious in my opinion. We are also looking at replacing the AC unit with the Houghton unit to reduce the decibel levels and sounds like it draws less amps to run.

We toured the Unity in Florida and the ducted system did seem much quieter than the unit in the Interstate.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote