Old 04-29-2018, 09:44 AM   #21
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
God willing and financing permitting, we will change ours for a Grand Tour in three years (with 4x4, air, and leveling option!!)...would not mind a power assisted door to make it easier on my wife and daughter...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Not a problem. We have 2 minivans with power sliding doors & power rear liftgate (domestic Chrysler Town & Country and import Nissan Quest). Power sliding doors can be operated manually whether motor is well or completely dead. I know this firsthand due to failed motor on Nissan & wiring harness break on Chrysler. My MB S-class has power assist on all 4 doors & trunk. If any of the assist fails (and they FAIL because it has a stupid vacuum assist system) the doors & trunk still open or close just like a manual door. My point is any power assist system will eventually fail due to their MTBF being ridiculously under-engineered (my opinion only from many vehicles used with such option) but will not disable the doors from functioning. This is one option I wished was offered in our AI. I do have to say that I would not recommend this option for those who are not mechanically or electrically adventurous. They will probably fail DURING & AFTER warranty 😣
Good to know!

Totally agree, and why I made my snarky comment about the door motor failing: It's gonna happen eventually. Being able to open it anyway is critical.

Still, I agree with both you and Wachuko, it would definitely be a "nice to have" option for wife and daughter, and I imagine as owners age, slamming that heavy beast of a door repeatedly would get old (no pun intended). I think the hinged door on the Atlas and LTV's are a big plus in this regard, and would still love to see more manufacturers building on the Chevy Express platform for similar reasons (the Express 3500 with the 6.0L Vortec V8 and a Quigley 4x4 conversion could make a very interesting RV.... ).
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #23
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
"nice to have" option for wife and daughter, and I imagine as owners age, slamming that heavy beast of a door repeatedly would get old (no pun intended). I think the hinged door on the Atlas and LTV's are a big plus in this regard,
Funny you mention wife & daughter - their current practice is to ingress/egress via passenger hinged door. A big 👍👍 on Atlas / LTV hinged door
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:10 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Cape Coral , Florida
FYI - LTV is now offering the 2019 chassis as a no cost option for units purchased on order. There delivery time is 9 months.
Atlasonorder is offline   Reply With Quote