Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
SCOTTP - I am an ex bike racer in ultra endurance events, so I definitely have a passion for anything bicycle related. But I am afraid to drown in my own bathtub, so no Patagonia rafting for me. I do like the trailer homebase idea. That would be awesome! I did read you got your F350 + Globetrotter. I can deal with F350, but pulling Globetrotter is beyond my skill level and confidence. Baby steps, maybe after a Nest for a few years, I can graduate to longer.

Keep the pics coming. You definitely having much more fun than me (and I having a blast as it is, both using the AI and working on personalizing it).
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Thank you for sharing your great adventure! Photos were breathtaking. Hope to do a similar out this coming year.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:08 PM   #23

Currently Looking...
vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
Well we just completed a two week trip through British Columbia and Eastern/Central Oregon. We put about 2,000 miles on the Interstate and came away with only a few minor items needing attention. The van performed flawlessly - and we couldn't be happier with this Interstate. Our FAVORITE by far.

Punch List to fix or improve:

Ceiling Fan air cabin noise - discussed before

Fusion Unit - rip out with a hammer, or install a power kill-switch as before

Toilet Paper receptacle replace - see photo

Hope you enjoy the photos and I hope this helps stimulate each of you to call in sick, or just quit your job, and get out on the road. I can tell you the Canadian's are so happy to see you, perhaps you might consider a trip way North?

The trip plan was for my wife to get North to BC to scout out upcoming ski adventures and enjoy the scenery (you see, my wife of ten years, is from Duluth Minnesota, so North/and cool to chilly temps is how she's wired) and for us to tour BC areas by motorcycle using our ASI as a base camp. No Gusto dog on this trip allowed us to enjoy a dynamic and flexible journey. Maybe find a hotel if the weather dumped rain on us (it did) or we just found a place we'd like to hang out longer and not worry about hitting a deer/bear/moose at twilight.

The ferry system in BC is a true joy to utilize, especially with motorcycles. The system is no-charge to all, and you meet some enjoyable local characters along the way while waiting for the ferry or underway across a body of water.

(Just a quick note - we did hit "SNOW" in Jasper ... unexpected road covered with 6"+ of white powdery SNOW)

We worked our way through part of BC shown on the map, then eventually headed South to discover lovely, quaint Joseph Oregon (Wollowa Mtn Range), rode our motorcycles through Hells Canyo and later through La Grande, Pendleton, Ukiah, and to Hood River for breakfast at Broder Ost.

Purchase Angst:

When I read online someone anguishing about whether to buy an ASI or any adventure travel machine (Cirrus Aircraft etc) I am reminded (as they calculate the acquisition cost, depreciation, cost of ownership blah blah blah) ... how often potential buyers miss the point. These Interstate units are meant for creating memories - tools to enhance our personal relationships with family and friends, or to explore our planet and create new experiences.

Whether it's a pickup with a rooftop tent, an ASI or some other unit in the marketplace - I'm reminded we all need to travel more. Explore more. And get outside more. Our ASI's have allowed us remarkable flexibility and offer substantial utility for our personal use. YMMV

Sure an Interstate will cost more than many/most competitive units in the market. But when considering total cost of ownership, make sure you "put a $$ value" on experiences shared and relationships strengthened with your passengers as you explore new environments together. And yes, I mean put a value on those personal experiences. Just because it's difficult to quantify doesn't mean it doesn't have value.

Finally, from a resale standpoint, I've already discussed our ROI for previously owned ASI units. It costs us pennies per mile to trade up each year. And truthfully, considering the 4wd units costs us nothing to utilize each year. Because of the limited supply and strong secondary market demand. Sure there are cheaper Class B units out there, there are more comfortable and larger B+, or C units out there, there are other 4wd B vans out there with better departure angles and more rugged looking. But for our needs, and possibly your needs, the ASI is perfect! Elegant, versatile, practical, cost effective considering resale, safe with 4wd, and very comfortable on the road and while parked. It's the right product, with the right design being offered to the right (expanding) demographic.

I know it sounds like an AS pitch. But that's not my intended message. I've been equally critical of AS in the past when build quality or the 2017 Fusion fiasco started.

How about this take-away? Let's all GET OUT THERE a bit more this year eh?

Let's all plan one-extra-trip and stop believing we'll all live forever. We can buy groceries along the way, just walk out to your adventure machine, start it up and drive away from the minutia of home

Hope the photos are not too boring ... they're just meant to inspire you a bit
Just to be clear: not ALL ferries in BC are free!
aluminatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:57 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Richland , Washington
Sounds fun! Can you share where you stayed in Golden, Jasper and Revelstoke BC? Hubby and I are going to Joseph OR this week. Thanks.
caronair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #25
New Airstream Owner

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
Bend , Oregon
Great Advice

ScottP, I've been enjoying hitting the road as well. Got to tag on to a work trip and hit up Craters of the Moon,ID on my way to Snowbird, UT.
Can't wait to find out on Monday if I got offered a 10 month job instead of staying a year round employee. That means I get 2 whole months a year to enjoy the Interstate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interstate.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	324086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interstate 2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	324087  

Name:	Interstate 3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	324089  
skihikejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
How much off-roading have you done in your AI 4x4?

We always wished our 2005 AI was 4WD. We had ours for eight years before switching to AS trailers towed behind RAM 4x4s.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:53 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
2019 Interstate 4x4 "shake down" Adventure trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by caronair View Post
Sounds fun! Can you share where you stayed in Golden, Jasper and Revelstoke BC? Hubby and I are going to Joseph OR this week. Thanks.

Golden - Kicking Horse Ski resort for free

Jasper - Private home (estate/ranch) of someone who bought my aircraft in 2010

Revelstoke - Blanket Creek Provincial Park ... we left ASI there for a few days to explore Nelson and other towns (photo) lots of room, nice facilities, and virtually empty. Photo of toasted coconut margarita in Revelstoke

Nelson - we stayed at the Adventure Hotel, which was great (for me) because they had a Hog Wash area for our motorcycles (complete with everything you’d need to detail your bike)...sometimes you take too long cleaning your bike and your wife gets kinda frustrated because you keep her waiting!

Adventure hotel has a nice location and you MUST try Empire coffee shop bakery next door ... best cherry choc chip muffin (poor photo) ever!!!

Fernie - Himalayan Spice Bistro ... amazing cuisine... Bre’s fifth time dining here and we actually spent the night right on the street at the restaurant (photo included) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4293.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	324136Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4330.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	324137Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4332.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	324138Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4269.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	774.2 KB
ID:	324139Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4340.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	547.6 KB
ID:	324140Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4344.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	588.0 KB
ID:	324141Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4505.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	324142

Joseph:

We will be there also this weekend - Wollowa State Park most likely

BMW service first...

Sadly our bikes were damaged on the trip, when a brand new tie down strap snapped and Bre’s bike tumbled into my bike (while being trailered).

So both bikes have had their outrageously expensive plastic parts fixed...and we will pick up both bikes Friday late. Will be at the park this weekend. Pls look us up!

Name:	IMG_4500.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	324147
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:00 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikejj View Post
ScottP, I've been enjoying hitting the road as well. Got to tag on to a work trip and hit up Craters of the Moon,ID on my way to Snowbird, UT.
Can't wait to find out on Monday if I got offered a 10 month job instead of staying a year round employee. That means I get 2 whole months a year to enjoy the Interstate.

10 months???

That’d be awesome!!!

For those that don’t know, SkiHikejj bought our 2018 4x4 Interstate!!!

Hey join us in Joseph this weekend?

PS I’ve got some extra stuff for you, will connect.

PS great photos too...
Old 09-30-2018, 11:12 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate 4x4 "shake down" Adventure trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
How much off-roading have you done in your AI 4x4?

We always wished our 2005 AI was 4WD. We had ours for eight years before switching to AS trailers towed behind RAM 4x4s.

Hi

Virtually zero.

It’s really a feature improved safety and improved road manners on existing roads vs new trails.

I can think of a few times with our 2017 unit, when we got into a predicament and had to keep climbing with a road narrowing at the top and no turn around possible. The road footing becoming more unstable every one hundred feet, climbing the bluff in Gold Beach Oregon near Bandon. Plus getting stuck in multiple snow storms...

We use it (4x4) often, but we don’t necessarily go looking to off-road with it.

I can promise SkiHikejj will take hers off-road. She’s not a sissy about dirt and scratches like I am.

Name:	IMG_E0189.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	548.7 KB
ID:	324148
Old 10-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikejj View Post
ScottP, I've been enjoying hitting the road as well. Got to tag on to a work trip and hit up Craters of the Moon
Back when I was working telecom- I used to go to Craters of the Moon regularly to service the radio system. There is a repeater on top of Sunset cone- not far from a rattlesnake den...

I remember the signs at Arco, ID talking about ‘the first nuclear powered city’. Then I read more, and it was powered for a matter of minutes. I wonder if the submarine conning tower is still there?

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote