Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
RJC
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Reston , Virginia
2019 Airstream Interstate

I'm finalizing options for my soon-to-be-ordered AI Grand Tour, and the dealer in Virginia told me that at this point all new orders will be built out as 2019 Airstream models (not 2019 Sprinter ). I can't find any details on the 2019 AI, Airstream is marketing the 2018 still yet we know there's been a 2018.5. The only two differences he noted between that and the 2019 was making 4 coach batters standard (yes still 12v car batteries, not LiON) and generator auto-start standard. He has no additional information.

Has anyone heard similar, or is anyone able to confirm that a new order would be a 2019 Airstream model year? Does anyone know any details about other possible changes that would be present in the 2019?

This will be my first RV ever, and I'm trying to avoid being sweet talked too much. Logic dictates I should cryogenically freeze myself until they build the AI GT on the 2019 Sprinter, but I don't think I want to last that long!

Thanks!
RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
I'm finalizing options for my soon-to-be-ordered AI Grand Tour, and the dealer in Virginia told me that at this point all new orders will be built out as 2019 Airstream models (not 2019 Sprinter ). I can't find any details on the 2019 AI, Airstream is marketing the 2018 still yet we know there's been a 2018.5. The only two differences he noted between that and the 2019 was making 4 coach batters standard (yes still 12v car batteries, not LiON) and generator auto-start standard. He has no additional information.

Has anyone heard similar, or is anyone able to confirm that a new order would be a 2019 Airstream model year? Does anyone know any details about other possible changes that would be present in the 2019?

This will be my first RV ever, and I'm trying to avoid being sweet talked too much. Logic dictates I should cryogenically freeze myself until they build the AI GT on the 2019 Sprinter, but I don't think I want to last that long!

Thanks!
Based on what I've heard, your dealer is correct on all counts:
- All new orders at this point are Airstream MY '19
- They will be built on the current Sprinter chassis, not the '19 Sprinter (no clue when that will start....maybe Airstream MY '20)
- Changes on the GT are 2 more house batteries (not sure if this is also true on the Lounge) and both GT and Lounge get auto gen start standard
- All other options are as they appear on the website for the '18's, but ask about levelers. I've heard those are now a dealer option but they don't appear on the website
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:

Thanks!
Depends on how long you have been in "Search & Research" mode. I was in this mode for 2 years, then decided to pull the trigger. Funny, before your post, I was just reading the latest article on the 2019 Sprinters. It appears to be worth waiting for BUT once you are ready, I know the feeling is hard to resist. As FLYFISHINRVR noted, it may not be until MY 2020 before upfitters build on 2019 Sprinters. That is a long ways off if you have already been searching awhile.

And yes, do get the E&P Hydraulic Levelers. Is it worth almost $7,500? Probably not, but you'll soon forget the price the first time you use it. When I pulled the trigger, I was resigned to the fact that the option was still a MY away, but I was just at the right dealer at the right time to get one of the very first ones. To this date, my sales rep says he doesn't even have another unit yet with levelers.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Yes... get that self-leveling system... you have no idea the suffering I am going through every time Alex AVI shares photos...

For example...

I know that I might not be able to do so... but if I can ($), I plan on replacing my AI the second year Airstream starts building them on the new Sprinter platform... I want to give them a year or two to sort some of the normal first year issues that come from a new platform...

If you are buying now... get the self-leveling system, get the air suspension...

Glad to see that they are doing 4 batteries... instead of going lithium you might want to wait until the new battery tech is out... three-dimensional solid-state electrodes that have 25 times more surface area than flat thin-film solid-state electrodes and high electronic and ionic conductivities, according to Green Car Congress. That enables fast charging and cold-temperature operation.

Wish you luck on trying to wait
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Yes... get that self-leveling system... you have no idea the suffering I am going through every time Alex AVI shares photos...

Wish you luck on trying to wait
Yes, waiting is tough.
Hahaha! But you got 4 batteries, mod propane box, and ARB freezer & built in compressor and a super espresso machine

TB Lightning by 2 in Game 7. Will be rooting for ya, until the Finals
Old 05-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Sounds normal to me. Most B-vans are built on vans from previous model year. My 2013 Interstate is built on a 2012 Sprinter and I bought it in October.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #7
RJC
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Reston , Virginia
I love this forum!!

I appreciate the heads-up regarding the levelers. I definitely want that, even if only because my driveway at home is crooked!

I also just learned that 4x4 + Air Ride is an option. Is 4x4 worth it if I'm not flying into known ice conditions?

Finally, one peeve I have is regarding workspace. I'm going to follow another forum user's advice (will find again and credit, can't find it now) regarding removal of the front TV. Does anyone know if there is a 3rd party table option for the rear table that is bigger than the one that ships with the AI? And does it ship with 1 total table top, or two?

And no chance I'm waiting, I'll take the advice above and enjoy my 2019 AI until the new Sprinter has been out for at least a year.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The same table goes front and rear.

I don't know how you would live with a larger table then the one supplied. It is already difficult to wiggle around it, front or rear. I removed the mounting ring in the back of mine because the table just did not work for me in the rear.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #9
RJC
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Reston , Virginia
My thoughts on a larger table surface are for the back, so 3 people could sit and eat together. I'm considering just making an overlay that fits on the unique shape of the stock table with a couple swing arms that would keep it from tipping off. Not much bigger, but just enough.

Received a response from my sales person on options:

N/C - Rear Hanging Wardrobe
$398 - Rear Carpet Kit
$452 - Golf Bag Storage
$955 - Front Bed System
$6900 - Leveling Jacks
$7500 - Air Ride Suspension
$8700 - 4x4

I love the Air Ride Suspension, don't like that it deletes the under-floor storage, but am prepared to get used to it. Seems leveling jacks are the way to go, and I'm getting the front bed for my 3 year old. I don't golf, so that's problem solved.

Does anyone have a picture of the Rear Hanging Wardrobe, or the Rear Carpet Kit installed? I don't think I need the carpet but it would be nice to know how those options present in the AI.

Thanks again!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #10

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
My thoughts on a larger table surface are for the back, so 3 people could sit and eat together. I'm considering just making an overlay that fits on the unique shape of the stock table with a couple swing arms that would keep it from tipping off. Not much bigger, but just enough.

Received a response from my sales person on options:

$398 - Rear Carpet Kit
$452 - Golf Bag Storage
$955 - Front Bed System
$6900 - Leveling Jacks
$8700 - 4x4

I love the Air Ride Suspension, don't like that it deletes the under-floor storage, but am prepared to get used to it. Seems leveling jacks are the way to go, and I'm getting the front bed for my 3 year old. I don't golf, so that's problem solved.

Does anyone have a picture of the Rear Hanging Wardrobe, or the Rear Carpet Kit installed? I don't think I need the carpet but it would be nice to know how those options present in the AI.

Thanks again!
$955 - Front Bed System

If you want to safe a few bucks and don't mind getting your own bed sheets... you can get the one from Pleasure Way for 169.00... same system minus bed sheets...

https://pleasure-way.myshopify.com/products/bed

$6900 - Leveling Jacks
$8700 - 4x4

4x4 is a complete several-threads discussion... I like that it provides additional clearance for an already low RV... so that is a positive. There were rumors that the new one was going to be the same height independent of drive train...

Most folks will tell you that you can't really take it off-road like you would with a Jeep... but peace of mind of driving in bad weather... I don't know... this is one that I wanted initially, and that was the first AI I went to see and buy... so can't help you there... At the time, I could not select them all... Airstream made you choose between 4x4 and Air Suspension... now you can have it all! I would get it all just for peace of mind... even if I never really need it...

Rear carpet kit? Nah... so another carpet on top of the carpet already in place... okay... I did not get that. Do not miss it...but I have an ARB cooler 24x7, taking most of the trunk space... I guess that it would be good to keep the stock carpet clean...
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-22-2018, 02:19 PM   #11
RJC
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Reston , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
$955 - Front Bed System

If you want to safe a few bucks and don't mind getting your own bed sheets... you can get the one from Pleasure Way for 169.00...

https://pleasure-way.myshopify.com/products/bed
But that's just a bed, not a bed SYSTEM!

Thanks for that, I'll owe you a drink and a passably-prepared steak when we eventually cross paths!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #12

Orlando , Florida
Talking

Quote:
But that's just a bed, not a bed SYSTEM!

Thanks for that, I'll owe you a drink and a passably-prepared steak when we eventually cross paths!

I updated my post and added a few more comments... but yes, some of us were scratching our heads on the pricing of that option...
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #13
RJC
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Reston , Virginia
Now you've made me want 4x4 as well. There's fine print on the options form next to some of the options saying "Limited Availability" while 4x4 has "Extremely Limited Availability" next to it.

I'll have to chat with the dealer tomorrow and see if he can forecast build/lead times for both ARRS and ARRS+4x4. Would be nice on the west coast to visit places to go snowboarding without worrying as much about sliding off into the ditch. Fortunately I grew up in snow so I comprehend that 4x4 isn't an exemption from the laws of physics like some!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Would be nice on the west coast to visit places to go snowboarding without worrying as much about sliding off into the ditch. Fortunately I grew up in snow so I comprehend that 4x4 isn't an exemption from the laws of physics like some!

Keep in mind that places out here can require chains to/from in the winter, so don't get too carried away. Trying to put chains on duallies is a royal PITA, and I bet if someone read through the fine print, using them may void the Sprinter warranty.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
$398 - Rear Carpet Kit
$452 - Golf Bag Storage
$955 - Front Bed System
$6900 - Leveling Jacks
$8700 - 4x4

N/C - Rear Hanging Wardrobe - makes 1 jumpseat unusable for passenger, it matters to us coz we use AI as people mover at times (big fam or tailgate parties)
$398 - Rear Carpet Kit - mine came with it, but I wouldn't order if it didn't
$452 - Golf Bag Storage - only if real die-hard golfer, you said not
$955 - Front Bed System - got the Pleasure Way, tip from FLYFISHINRVR, same (but cheaper) than AI bed system (minus customer sheets & comforted, buy your own, all out still be under $250
$6900 - Leveling Jacks - a want, not a deal breaker, but got lucky at dealer
$7500 - Air Ride Suspension - must have

$8700 - 4x4 - you really need to have honest conversation with yourself on this one. Even if price was not a consideration, the issue I had was my garage door opening is only 9' 10". Spec on non-4x4 is 9'8". I slam my VB Air rear suspension to ingress/egress just to be safe that I clear the A/C. 4x4 will be much taller to fit my garage, and even worse/taller sail profile (pretty windy here in the high desert). And I barely use my 4x4 suv as it is, so decided I don't want it, even knowing that 4x4 adds even more capability. Also consider how much cargo capacity weight you lose. But if you know you are definitely intentionally going to use in snow conditions, you should get it.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #16
RJC
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Reston , Virginia
Based on the information I can find, and comments here, I don't think 4x4 is something for me. Taller vehicle without substantial ground clearance gains, a significant extra cost, and something else to break/maintain.

I have asked my dealer and they're taking a long time to locate this information, but does anyone know what the net loss to useful load is by adding the 4x4 option? Also what is the net change in vehicle height, as well as net increase in ground clearance?

If someone does know of a thread or page that has Specifications of that type please post a link, I'd be happy to dig and sort it all out myself.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
TRUCKNEWS reviewed this extensively and is borne out by the AI specs I saw during my search (I do have to find those pics including the GVWR, etc.)

"The 4×4 technology adds about 270 lbs (most of which is up front) to the vehicle’s weight compared to the rear wheel drive version, and the 4×4 bodies are about three inches higher at the rear and nearly four inches up front. Axle heights are the same in both versions, however.

“What this does is increase some of the approach angles, the breakover angles,” Calwell said. “They’re all improved by about 10 degrees, and the wading depth, for those who are going to take it through a shallow creek, is improved by about five inches.”

The actual ground clearance, at about eight inches, is the same in both versions. “The body is lifted but the actual driveline isn’t changed,” Calwell noted. The 4×4 Sprinters do have a slightly smaller fuel tank (93 litres versus 100), however." <<Curtis Calwell, product manager for Mercedes-Benz Canada>>

Tell dealer to do their homework. This is info they ought to have all the time. Why am I not surprised? My dealer didn't even know my unit had E&P Levelrs & the PDI Tech didn't know how to operate it. I had to show them all that
Old 05-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
RJC - Apologies, time limit prevents me from editing prior post. I hate to post outdated numbers (it's my engineer prior life). Review was few years ago. Was wrong of me to assume those numbers would carry over to 2019. And I can only dig up 2018 numbers. I am only guessing the improvements in latest 4x4 caused the discrepancy. So instead of 270 lbs. , the 2018 Data Sheet for regular vs. 4x4 show payload capacity decrease of 309 lbs. going to optional 4x4. So much for improvements. YMMV with 2019. Data pages below, but as a side note - check out the official MB Data Sheet pic for the 4x4 - WOW-WOW-Weee! Ain't that sweet!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180527-121521.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	312206

Name:	Screenshot_20180527-121535.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	312205

Name:	Screenshot_20180527-121547.jpg