Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Saint Petersburg , FL
2018 Lounge EXT OEM Subwoofer

Hello,

I have a 2018 EXT Lounge. Under the rear passenger side, side facing seat is a small subwoofer. i have not read any mention of this on these forums. Is that standard equipment? Mine has issues. The sound is awful, and when I tap on the top screen, it makes a very harsh noise.

How do I get this thing out of there for inspection? The top grill does not have any screws going through it. Do I need to use a pick or something to pull the grill off?

Any information at all, related to this sub is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
gpern83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I have a 2016 that has this subwoofer. I believe you can access from the vertical panel below the seat. I do not have access to the coach to confirm but I removed this panel to install the LP tank valve shut off and remember seeing the sub woofer. Mine works fine with no sound anomalies
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Western , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpern83 View Post
Hello,

How do I get this thing out of there for inspection? The top grill does not have any screws going through it. Do I need to use a pick or something to pull the grill off?
You need to remove the passenger side jump seat, 4 bolts/screws. Remove the whole seat, not just the bottom. Then remove the wood platform the seat was affixed. Then you will see the sub-woofer. There is one screw in the cup holder slot.

If you just need to adjust or look, as the above post says, remove the panel in back of the hinged door on the passenger jump seat.
TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
AUSTIN , TX
GPERN83. This unit is a powered sub enclosed in a box. This means it has an amplifier as a component of the whole unit. If it sounds bad the sub could be blown. The quality of the cone iis not the greatest It takes some tweaking on the EQ to make it sound better and carry the right frequency. Let us know what you find after removal.
TX-Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Saint Petersburg , FL
Thanks everyone. I'll dig into it this evening and see what I can find.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Santa Clarita , CA
I changed mine out with a 8 inch kicker .
Moereece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I removed my 2018 sub-woofer when I converted to twin beds. It is sitting here in my office. I offered it on EBay with no takers. It had no issues, but would have taken up storage space in the rear that I didn't want to give up.

Anyone who wants it can have it for the cost of shipping + $10 for my time packing it and taking it to UPS.

We never listen to the radio except when driving. I can't tell any difference in the cab before or after removing the sub-woofer, so I just left it out.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:13 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Saint Petersburg , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moereece View Post
I changed mine out with a 8 inch kicker .
Did you swap out just the driver, or the entire enclosure? Was it worth the effort?
Old 07-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpern83 View Post
Did you swap out just the driver, or the entire enclosure? Was it worth the effort?
It is a self-contained plywood box covered in black cloth with a built-in amplifier. It was sitting on the wheel well, under the CS jump seat and was held in place by screws through two small angle brackets. I cut and taped the 12V leads and unplugged the audio jacks. Took about 2 minutes to remove the whole thing.

If anyone wants it, it is heavy to ship, but it is in pristine condition. If there is no taker, I may hang it under my desk and hook it to my computer to augment my Bose speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190722_092200.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	347321  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Santa Clarita , CA
I just swapped out the sub and it sounds good.
Moereece is offline   Reply With Quote