Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ouray , Colorado
2018 Interstate GT TB Questions

Hi! Happy to announce we are new Airstream Owners again! A few questions from the maiden voyage back home.

1. There are 2 GFCI outlets that keep tripping, or at least the 20amp breaker that controls these keep tripping. This only happens when I turn on the inverter. They work just fine on Shore and Gen power. Is this by design? Is this breaker supposed to trip whenever you turn on the Inverter? We are just trying to charge phone, and that is how we found out that last breaker which is a 20amp, keeps tripping when the Inverter is turned on.

2. Garmin / Fusion head unit. No steering wheel controls for audio or phone answer / disconnect. Maybe this is because it still needs 3.8 firmware?

3. Hot water heater. So to get Hot water on this new 2018 Interstate I need to turn on the Gas Water Water control panel button. However the hot water heater pulses hot water, and the control panel then throws the error - fault turn off and on again. Is this common?

4. The light switch dial does not illuminate at all. Is it supposed to, and it just needs a new bulb? There is no tire pressure monitoring system?? I really expected more bells / whistles on the MB chassis.

Thanks!
Jason
jasperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:45 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Ouray , Colorado
I was referring to the light switch dial on the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel. The dial and bezel dont light up, which make it difficult to see.
jasperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:18 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Franklin County , Missouri
1. GFCI breaker should not trip unless there is some problem in theory. These are sensitive devices which might trip when there really is no problem. Mine has never tripped while using the inverter. I do recall mine tripping once when I used the generator. If your breaker keeps tripping I suggest you have someone work on it..

2. The volume control works from my steering wheel. I never syncd a phone to the system so I cannot answer that question.

3. Error codes for water heater not normal. I would suggest you look up the codes in your manual or internet.

4. I do not have a light switch dial to the right of the steering wheel. If you are talking about the headlight switch to the left of the wheel I don't specifically remember if it lights up. I have never had an issue finding it and turning on the lights. Like any vehicle I have owned I have found I just need to remember where the various controls are.

Not a lot of specifics here but I hope it helps.
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #4
Prof. of Pending Projects

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperkins View Post
Hi! Happy to announce we are new Airstream Owners again! A few questions from the maiden voyage back home.

1. There are 2 GFCI outlets that keep tripping, or at least the 20amp breaker that controls these keep tripping. This only happens when I turn on the inverter. They work just fine on Shore and Gen power. Is this by design? Is this breaker supposed to trip whenever you turn on the Inverter? We are just trying to charge phone, and that is how we found out that last breaker which is a 20amp, keeps tripping when the Inverter is turned on.

2. Garmin / Fusion head unit. No steering wheel controls for audio or phone answer / disconnect. Maybe this is because it still needs 3.8 firmware?

3. Hot water heater. So to get Hot water on this new 2018 Interstate I need to turn on the Gas Water Water control panel button. However the hot water heater pulses hot water, and the control panel then throws the error - fault turn off and on again. Is this common?

4. The light switch dial does not illuminate at all. Is it supposed to, and it just needs a new bulb? There is no tire pressure monitoring system?? I really expected more bells / whistles on the MB chassis.

Thanks!
Jason
1. Yes. Happens to me a lot too... We just reset the breaker and move on. Have not looked into it any further.

2. If I remember correctly, only volume control works in mine...

3. Not common, something is wrong with it... (1) Turn on the propane gas switch (2) Turn Water Heater in control panel (3) Open faucet and water will be hot after a few minutes (so much for instant hot water and not wasting water )

4. Not sure which one your are referring to... Center dash? On the steering wheel? Photo? And yes, not TPMS... I bought one for it.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The USB outlets that Airstream installs are junk! Two out of the three in my GT failed on the first trip, and all of them overheated while charging my S10 Note.

I replaced all three with higher quality fast chargers with switches so that I don't waste battery power when not charging phones. I found the fast chargers with switches on Amazon.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:05 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
I believe your MB Chassis does have a TPMS but rather showing you tire pressure readings it is just a warning light on the dash if a tire is low. My 2008 had this and would need to be recalibrated at tire rotations because rear tires carry more pressure.

Speaking of tire rotations - never let a tire shop jack your Sprinter using a floor jack on the differential, it will bend the cover and create a massive leak!
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
I believe your MB Chassis does have a TPMS but rather showing you tire pressure readings it is just a warning light on the dash if a tire is low. My 2008 had this and would need to be recalibrated at tire rotations because rear tires carry more pressure.

Speaking of tire rotations - never let a tire shop jack your Sprinter using a floor jack on the differential, it will bend the cover and create a massive leak!
Only the Interstate Nineteens have a built in TPMS since they are built on a Sprinter 2500 cargo vans that require TPMS by the USDOT regulations.

The larger Interstates with dual rear wheels are built on Sprinter 3500 cargo vans that don't require TPMS by USDOT - so they don't them.
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote