Old 09-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Idaho Falls , Idaho
2018 AI front controls not working

HI,

After having my 2018 AI plugged in for the last three weeks, I went out to start it and the chassis battery was almost completely dead. There was enough power to make all the dash lights some on, and the starter to click, but that was it. After using the Battery Assist several times, I was able to get the motor started. The problem is now, none of the front accessories are working... the windows, the heater/AC, horn, turn signals, etc. and the Parking and Brake and check engine lights are all on as well. The unit will start and drive, but no "front" functions.

Is there a main fuse that controls all of these functions?? I've checked the "blade" type fuses on the distribution panel that is hooked directly to the battery, and they are all good.

We are supposed to leave for a 1,200 mile trip on Friday, so any help is appreciated. Our closest Mercedes dealer is 200 miles and closest Airstream dealer is 250 miles.
tjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Welcome to Air Forums. Your situation sounds like it might be yet another case of death-by-Fusion. I don't have an Interstate model with that unit installed, so I am not an expert on that and I will leave it to others to comment further. Bump!
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:43 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Franklin County , Missouri
While I cannot answer your specific question I will offer a couple of comments. I also have a 2018 Interstate. I leave it plugged in while in storage and it always has maintained charge in both the coach batteries and the "engine" battery. So it appears you have an issue here.

The following probably will not fix your problem but it may be worth a try. First I would make sure the engine battery if fully charged. Then I would turn off the DC power to the coach and then disconnect the engine battery lead down near the accelerator pedal. See the Sprinter owner's manual on how to do this. I would leave it disconnected for 5 minutes or so then reconnect it. Start the engine and see if more items work.

If this does not solve it I would call you MB dealer and get some advice from them.

Good Luck
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:51 AM   #4
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI927 View Post
First I would make sure the engine battery if fully charged. Then I would turn off the DC power to the coach and then disconnect the engine battery lead down near the accelerator pedal. See the Sprinter owner's manual on how to do this. I would leave it disconnected for 5 minutes or so then reconnect it. Start the engine and see if more items work.

If this does not solve it I would call you MB dealer and get some advice from them.

Good Luck
TJOHNSON - 100% agree with AI927. Also INTERBLOG brings up a VERY important issue with Fusion. Treat your AI like any computer (after all, it has multiple computers in MB & AS house & Fusion).. When battery runs down to low levels BUT not totally dead, the computers/ECU/Fusion/CANBUS will be in an unknown state. This has already created havoc. Rebooting them via the "jumpstart" function will start the mechanicals but does nothing to resetting the electronic processors. By completely disconnecting chassis batt, you will ensure total reset. Best of luck!
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnson View Post
HI,

After having my 2018 AI plugged in for the last three weeks, I went out to start it and the chassis battery was almost completely dead. There was enough power to make all the dash lights some on, and the starter to click, but that was it. After using the Battery Assist several times, I was able to get the motor started. The problem is now, none of the front accessories are working... the windows, the heater/AC, horn, turn signals, etc. and the Parking and Brake and check engine lights are all on as well. The unit will start and drive, but no "front" functions.

Is there a main fuse that controls all of these functions?? I've checked the "blade" type fuses on the distribution panel that is hooked directly to the battery, and they are all good.

We are supposed to leave for a 1,200 mile trip on Friday, so any help is appreciated. Our closest Mercedes dealer is 200 miles and closest Airstream dealer is 250 miles.
Hi tjohnson,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 09-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bozeman , Montana
Hello TJohnson -- I had the identical problem after my chassis battery died. The problem is that when power is restored the Fusion system resets its connection with the CANBUS incorrectly which scrambles all the Mercedes communication. The good news is that the "fix" is easy.

The Fusion headunit appears to somehow find itself in the wrong mode after a hard reboot. There is a setting ("settings" then "system") that lets you choose CAN mode, and that was in PSM mode. Navigate there and choose CAN mode ( think there was an option for "direct" or something like that which I selected as well). After correcting this all the sensors and everything have worked correctly.

Very aggravating problem with a simple fix. I spent a lot of time on this before a fellow forum user shared the solution with me!

David
ArcherTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #7
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherTC View Post
Very aggravating problem with a simple fix. I spent a lot of time on this before a fellow forum user shared the solution with me!

David
ARCHERTC - So true. Fusion is more trouble than its worth. A radio should never be allowed to do this but it is what it is. Hopefully TJOHNSON issue is resolved as easily as yours
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:43 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Franklin County , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnson View Post
HI,

tjohnson,

Did you get the issue resolved? If so what was the solution? Thanks
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:27 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Idaho Falls , Idaho
Fixed

Thanks for all the responses. I did get the problem solved... it was the Fusion radio and the CAN Bus setting.

By changing it to "Direct" rather than the factory default of "PSM", it magically fixed everything.

Thanks to the poster, AND to Airstream who contacted me directly via telephone after I called my dealer.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:45 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Idaho Falls , Idaho
Cel

I was able to get the problem fixed and make our 1,200 mile trip without issue. However, the entire time there was a CEL.

I purchased a iCarsoft scanner and was able to clear all the CAN messages in various categories. However, I have one that keeps coming back and the CEL is still on.

"Body CAN bus - Error on transmitting a message" and then it has "9332".

I also found more detail once that said something like "Function 54 - positive is shorted" or something like that (I can't seem to find that again now).

I did have a trailer brake controller installed before all this CAN bus stuff started, but I don't remember seeing a CEL after that.