Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2016, 06:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
2017 Interstate w/ Fusion infotainment system - update to v2.8

Hello all -

I haven't seen much published anywhere on the new Fusion RV-IN801 infotainment system that comes in the new 2017 Interstates, so I thought I'd post this as it may help other new owners with this system.

When you set up the Fusion, in the Apps menu there is something called Auto+. Auto+ is neat because it allows you to use your smart phone as a remote control so while sitting in lounge, you can change radio stations, etc (or I suppose be trolled by your kid changing it to "their" favorite music ) once you download the phone version of the app using the QR code on the Fusion screen.

Trouble is, I couldn't get it to work with my iPhone 6. Being a stubborn tech type, I finally sent email to Airstream tech support and Garmin tech support (since Garmin bought Fusion and also published the Auto+ app) with the hope that one of them would come through with a solution. You'll likely be shocked to hear that within 24hrs Airstream tech support got back to me with a procedure to update the Fusion to the latest revision, which they "hoped" would allow the iPhone app to actually talk to the Fusion unit. In contrast, the Garmin tech support staff got back to me today and basically said that while Garmin did indeed buy Fusion, the Fusion folks are still the experts on that model so call them.....in New Zealand.....

Anyway, the Airstream tech sent me a link to a dropbox file that I downloaded and unzipped to a microSD card (if you don't know how to do this, get one of your kids to help ). I then put the SD card into the SD slot on the front of the Fusion, which it recognized and went through the update process. For reference, my unit was at software version 2.7, and you need ver 2.8 to get the app working correctly, at least with the iPhone.

Once the update was done, I deleted the RV-IN801 from my iPhone's Bluetooth list, deleted my iPhone from the Fusion's Bluetooth list (note you MUST do this to get it to work....I found this out via trial and error.....mostly error.... ), re-paired the iPhone with the Fusion, and viola, success! The phone app is now able to connect to and communicate with the Fusion, allowing me to sit in the lounge with a cool beverage and scroll through my radio channel list, etc., just as if I was sitting up front.

Technology is great.....when it works.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
I am shocked you got it working.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #3

Mobile , Alabama
You are lucky that you bought a 2017 because you got the new Fusion radio and didn't get stuck with the Kenwood monster. Through trial and error I did find out that "some" of the problems could be fixed by updating the firmware and then the bluetooth. The Airstream folks didn't have a clue but the Kenwood technician was very helpful and emailed me the instructions. So, if you are struggling with your Kenwood DNN992 I recommend you contact Kenwood directly. They will actually spend time on the phone with you while you are in front of your radio.
MobileRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:11 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Can you share the link to the Dropbox file so we can update ours when received?
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post
Can you share the link to the Dropbox file so we can update ours when received?

Here is what I was sent:

- Download the file at the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ow25kprqj8..._User.zip?dl=0
- Unzip the contents onto an SD card by right clicking on the file and selecting Extract All to the SD card. The file system should be:
o 006-B2411-00
o 006-B2488-00
o Garmin
- Insert the SD card into the head unit and allow software update to run. A couple of restarts will likely occur.
- Confirm software update completed: Settings > System > Device Information
o Software version: 2.80
o VIM Version 2.50
Old 09-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Here is what I was sent:

- Download the file at the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ow25kprqj8..._User.zip?dl=0
- Unzip the contents onto an SD card by right clicking on the file and selecting Extract All to the SD card. The file system should be:
o 006-B2411-00
o 006-B2488-00
o Garmin
- Insert the SD card into the head unit and allow software update to run. A couple of restarts will likely occur.
o VIM Version 2.50

Excellent - thank you!
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple City , California
Quote:
Here is what I was sent:

o 006-B2411-00
o 006-B2488-00
o Garmin
o VIM Version 2.50
Thanks! I'll give it a try later. I have version 2.6, does your navi show you traffic conditions and have you unlocked the siriusxm radio yet?
dapolrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapolrbear View Post
does your navi show you traffic conditions and have you unlocked the siriusxm radio yet?
No and yes.

Re. traffic info, I use Waze on my smart phone for real-time traffic, road hazards, etc. It's far more accurate than using SiriusXM's NavTraffic or Google's traffic info (and it's free!). Both of those use historical information combined with limited traffic cam data to determine traffic flow, and both suck IMO. Waze uses crowd-sourced info that is constantly being updated by people around you so it reflects what's actually going on vs. what typically happens.

Re. SiriusXM radio, I'll save you some headache and tell you to contact SiriusXM by phone because you can't activate the XM tuner online (I tried and was told nope, that model can only be activated by a "special" group within customer service....whatever.....). It's model number SXV300BV1 and comes with 3 months of free service once activated. Be sure to write down the Radio ID # prior to calling customer service (select XM radio on the Fusion, tune to channel 0 (zero), and write down the ID#).
Old 09-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple City , California
Quote:
No and yes.

Re. traffic info, I use Waze on my smart phone for real-time traffic, road hazards, etc. It's far more accurate than using SiriusXM's NavTraffic or Google's traffic info (and it's free!). Both of those use historical information combined with limited traffic cam data to determine traffic flow, and both suck IMO. Waze uses crowd-sourced info that is constantly being updated by people around you so it reflects what's actually going on vs. what typically happens.

Re. SiriusXM radio, I'll save you some headache and tell you to contact SiriusXM by phone because you can't activate the XM tuner online (I tried and was told nope, that model can only be activated by a "special" group within customer service....whatever.....). It's model number SXV300BV1 and comes with 3 months of free service once activated. Be sure to write down the Radio ID # prior to calling customer service (select XM radio on the Fusion, tune to channel 0 (zero), and write down the ID#).
Yes I like Waze too. Sometimes I like to just get an over view of the traffic situation. I called and got the XM activated with the 3 months free but need to call back to cancel at the end of the trial otherwise i'll get charged $22/month. I only have access to the 6 presets on the XM screen. To access other channels I have to directly enter the station numbers. There isn't an XM1, XM2, etc. I'm going to try and update today and see if it fixes the little bugs.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple City , California
Tried updating with SD card. Uploaded the files to the card but the Fusion keeps indicating blank SD card every time I inserted the card. Is there a special format?
Old 09-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapolrbear View Post
Tried updating with SD card. Uploaded the files to the card but the Fusion keeps indicating blank SD card every time I inserted the card. Is there a special format?
Nope. In fact, I took a uSD card that I use as a backup for one of my cameras, so mine wasn't even prep'd by a PC.

If you want to be sure everything is OK with the format, use the Fusion to prepare it. There's an option for that in the Fusion menu.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple City , California
Quote:
Nope. In fact, I took a uSD card that I use as a backup for one of my cameras, so mine wasn't even prep'd by a PC.

If you want to be sure everything is OK with the format, use the Fusion to prepare it. There's an option for that in the Fusion menu.
Ok finally got it updated. I used the USB input instead of the SD card input. Fixed some volume level issues I was having between sources.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:03 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Panama City Beach , Florida
We have spent many hours on the phone with Kenwood tech support trying to get our kenwood dnn992 to work�� Under the direction of the tech we have been unsuccessful with doing the update on the radio. Because the radio will not update we can only use it as a 'guest' which means that we do not have access to all the features on the radio..........the most important to us is to have the hotspot which can not be used unless you set up an owners account and you can't setup an owners account without the softaware update... last week I was on the phone with kenwood tech support again and the gal did not even follow through with sending us another software update.....I also ask for service center help with the software update and she said the warranty did not cover the software for the radio and refused to get us help from a service center.....so their software needs a fix, their software update will not load on the radio....they won't warrant their software......bottom line.....we have an expensive non working radio����������
2Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:05 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Panama City Beach , Florida
Does the screen on the dnn992 adjust to a different position for better viewing?
2Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Camarillo , California
Fusion RV-IN801 drops bluetooth phone

Well, I have updated the SW to 2.8 but my issue is slightly different. The Fusion RV-IN801 drops my bluetooth connection quite frequently. It still sees the phone in the BT list and I can reconnect but within minutes to an hour or so, it will drop the connection and I have to reconnect. Quite annoying. Any ideas?
Thanks, Jack
1jacobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobo1 View Post
Well, I have updated the SW to 2.8 but my issue is slightly different. The Fusion RV-IN801 drops my bluetooth connection quite frequently. It still sees the phone in the BT list and I can reconnect but within minutes to an hour or so, it will drop the connection and I have to reconnect. Quite annoying. Any ideas?
Thanks, Jack
If your phone is at the back of the coach and/or outside the coach when it drops, I'd consider that fairly normal as different Bluetooth implementations have different effective ranges. I have an iPhone 6 and it seems to be fairly robust as long as I don't move it too far away from whatever it's connected to. In the case of the Fusion, the back lounge area is about the best it will do. If I go outside the van, all bets are off.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #17
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
v2.90 update

It looks like Fusion just released another software update - v.2.90

https://fusionentertainment.com/life...units/rv-in801
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
It looks like Fusion just released another software update - v.2.90

https://fusionentertainment.com/life...units/rv-in801

Thanks for the heads up.

2.8 added a bunch of functionality, let's hope 2.9 adds some stability. I'll load it up and give it a go ASAP.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Vero Beach , Florida
Quote:
Once the update was done, I deleted the RV-IN801 from my iPhone's Bluetooth list, deleted my iPhone from the Fusion's Bluetooth list (note you MUST do this to get it to work....I found this out via trial and error.....mostly error.... ), re-paired the iPhone with the Fusion, and viola, success! The phone app is now able to connect to and communicate with the Fusion, allowing me to sit in the lounge with a cool beverage and scroll through my radio channel list, etc., just as if I was sitting up front.
Thanks for the link and information. I downloaded the new update (2.9) and then tried to make it work After repeated attempts including turning on and off Bluetooth on iPhone and radio, I could not connect. I spoke with a tech at Fusion and he encountered the same problem. The sequence of events is critical to get this app working. Here is what we came up with.
1. unpair your phone from the radio (Settings/Bluetooth/"Forget this device") and then turn off your phone's bluetooth.
2. On radio (Settings/Bluetooth) select your phone and in the phone settings "unpair" the phone.
3. Turn off the Bluetooth on the radio (top of screen, slider button)

Now:
1. Turn on radio bluetooth
2. Turn on phone bluetooth and pair with radio
3. Go to Apps on radio, select Auto+Connect app and and below phone icon (left of screen) select "change".
4. On the screen that comes up make sure your phone type is selected. (blue dot with light next to selected phone)
5. MOST IMPORTANT PART: DO NOT select "connect" from Radio app, rather go to your phone and connect using the mobile app on the phone.

The tech and I replicated this sequence repeatedly and it works consistently. The mistake is to follow the onscreen instructions in mobile app or try to connect from the radio unit.
pilotbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Northern , California
2017 Interstate w/ Fusion infotainment system - update to v2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbit View Post
Thanks for the link and information. I downloaded the new update (2.9) and then tried to make it work After repeated attempts including turning on and off Bluetooth on iPhone and radio, I could not connect. I spoke with a tech at Fusion and he encountered the same problem. The sequence of events is critical to get this app working. Here is what we came up with.
1. unpair your phone from the radio (Settings/Bluetooth/"Forget this device") and then turn off your phone's bluetooth.
2. On radio (Settings/Bluetooth) select your phone and in the phone settings "unpair" the phone.
3. Turn off the Bluetooth on the radio (top of screen, slider button)

Now:
1. Turn on radio bluetooth
2. Turn on phone bluetooth and pair with radio
3. Go to Apps on radio, select Auto+Connect app and and below phone icon (left of screen) select "change".
4. On the screen that comes up make sure your phone type is selected. (blue dot with light next to selected phone)
5. MOST IMPORTANT PART: DO NOT select "connect" from Radio app, rather go to your phone and connect using the mobile app on the phone.

The tech and I replicated this sequence repeatedly and it works consistently. The mistake is to follow the onscreen instructions in mobile app or try to connect from the radio unit.

I finally updated to 2.9 and the steps above don't work for me. In fact no sequence of pairing and connecting worked for me. After 30 minutes of dickin' around I gave up as I had a lot better ways to waste my time LOL.

So, I'm back to where I was before 2.8. I should have just stayed with that release because it worked most of the time, just not all of the time. I was hoping 2.9 would add a bit of stability but it appears to have taken a step backwards.

What's frustrating is this is just Bluetooth, it's not some brand new tech that's not yet proven. The Fusion/Garmin guys really need to get their collective **** together. >

At least this isn't critical to the operation of the unit. :/