Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2024, 07:48 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
2017 AI Lounge EXT Inverter Replacement

We have been battling and tracing powerplant issues in our AI for a few months. Enlisted the help of my son who is a mechanic and super knowledgeable of vehicle electronics. The Magnum MMS1012 inverter kept going into fault NO COMM initially. It would turn on sometimes then return to fault again. We had the GFCI behind the driver's seat trip. We could not get it reset because they won't reset without a load on the receptacle. The inverter then was just permanently in fault and then just wouldn't turn on.

We went the path of least expensive to most expensive when diagnosing the issue.

1. Replaced GFCI receptacle. Still nothing. Again no load.
2. Tore apart the jump seat and gained access to the many wires and fuses. Discovered an inline 150 amp fuse blown to the inverter. Replaced the fuse and when we turned things back on we heard a POP and discovered we blew the 150 amp fuse at the house battery. Sigh...
3. Investigated the inverter by removing the cover to discover the circuit board was toast. Which was the MOST expensive option.

Resigned ourselves to buying a new inverter $$$. Little did we know, but that was not to be an easy task. After many online searches and phone calls we found out that the replacement inverter (another Magnum) was on backorder everywhere! My son suggested we replace the circuit board. On to another rabbit hole. This time we discovered the circuit boards were even more rare and 3+ years on backorder.

While talking to a supplier about the circuit board, they casually told my son they had a single Magnum MMS1012 on the shelf. I felt like we won the lottery even though we paid a premium. With shipping it was $1300. So it goes with owning an RV.

We got the inverter in 2 days and my son installed it and the 150 amp battery fuse we had blown. Finally got the GFCI to reset. Kept the new receptacle even though it wasn't the problem. In no time, our son had us back in business!

Now to install the new water heater...went tankless and propane only...stay tuned...
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote