Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Central Coast , California
2016 Inverter Question

I brought home a 2016 Grand Tour Twin last week. I am totally new to RVing. I have been trying to read the manuals and am kinda overwhelmed, as I am not mechanical or 'handy.' I have a question on my inverter. All the manuals I was given say that my inverter is a Magnum. The remote in the locker behind the driver's seat is a Magnum. It was also my understanding that's what Airstream installed in the newer units. The Airstream Certified Performance Checkout sheet the dealer gave me when I purchased the RV says it is a TrippLite model #MMS1012. I see that is the model number listed in the Magnum Owner's manual. Did someone just make a mistake and type TrippLite on the Performance Checkout sheet when they meant Magnum or did Magnum buy TrippLite? I know from reading posts on this forum that the Magnum inverter is superior and there are different shore power practices with each, so I want to do the right thing. Also, where does the actual inverter reside - I couldn't find anything in the manuals. Thank you!

Susan
Newbie2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
I have a 2016 too and it came with Magnum so pretty sure that is what you have. The control panel should say the brand on it too.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2016 View Post
... I have been trying to read the manuals and am kinda overwhelmed, as I am not mechanical or 'handy.' ...
Welcome to Air Forums. Don't worry - it gets better. Reading and working with the rig leads to better comfort levels and competency no matter where the level of self-confidence first starts out on the gauge. When my husband and I first got our Interstate, it was so unfamiliar to me that I had to write Sharpie notes on pieces of masking tape and stick them throughout the rig so that I would not forget things. That was about 2.5 years ago. These days, I can tear bits of the rig apart and rebuild them without much assistance.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
I brought home a 2016 Grand Tour Twin last week. I am totally new to RVing. I have been trying to read the manuals and am kinda overwhelmed, as I am not mechanical or 'handy.' I have a question on my inverter. All the manuals I was given say that my inverter is a Magnum. The remote in the locker behind the driver's seat is a Magnum. It was also my understanding that's what Airstream installed in the newer units. The Airstream Certified Performance Checkout sheet the dealer gave me when I purchased the RV says it is a TrippLite model #MMS1012. I see that is the model number listed in the Magnum Owner's manual. Did someone just make a mistake and type TrippLite on the Performance Checkout sheet when they meant Magnum or did Magnum buy TrippLite? I know from reading posts on this forum that the Magnum inverter is superior and there are different shore power practices with each, so I want to do the right thing. Also, where does the actual inverter reside - I couldn't find anything in the manuals. Thank you!

Susan
Susan, your 2016 Interstate definitely has the Magnum MMS-1012. The reference to the Tripp-Lite is a misprint. The definitive clues are your Magnum remote in the control panel area behind the driver's seat and the fact that the location of the Magnum (beneath the rear jump seat on the driver's side of the coach) would not permit the placement of a Tripp-Lite unit.

Also, no worries about leaving your coach plugged in full-time. The Magnum has a very 'smart' charging section that 'knows' when the battery is full and automatically switches to 'float' charge, which is a maintenance charge that will not ruin your batteries.

Welcome to the Forums and don't be afraid to ask 'newly' questions. We were all there once!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
Quote:
Susan
I have a 2013. The manual says I have a Tripp-Lite. I have a Magnum. In looking at the wiring schematics in the 2015 Manual, so far they match what is in my 2013. I think Airstream is slow to update their documentation to reflect changes that have already happened in production. That is probably the case for the checkout sheet the dealer used, along with an editing mistake.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:42 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Central Coast , California
Thank you all for your comments and helpful info! Feel 110% confident that I have the Magnum inverter. Now just have to take up with Airstream/dealer the fact that I think my batteries are toast since they are not holding a charge at all.

Susan
Newbie2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #7
J&J In A Can

Cottonwood , Arizona
Inverter

Newbie2016: Just look under the roadside mattress. There is a big hole cut just below the TV. You will find the inverter in there. Most of the other interesting things are in there too. Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Ft. Myers , Florida
Refrigerator?

Does anyone know what is plugged in to the outlet behind the driver's seat on the 2016 Interstate EXT GT?
Thanks
rolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:08 PM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolitsky View Post
Does anyone know what is plugged into the outlet behind the driver's seat on the 2016 Interstate EXT GT?
Thanks
The TV above the desk. That outlet is serviced by the inverter. The inverter passes AC through when hooked up externally or generator is running. The outlet over the driver's head is also on that circuit.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote