Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Kansas City , Missouri
We have the black 2014 EXT (Airstream calls it a 2015 but its not) and it makes us feel like rock stars! (Till we get out people see us, that is). Love it.
MO_Moderate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
The Mercedes chassis is 2014 and airstream did the RV build in 2015.. So it's a 2015 airstream but it's probably registered as a 2014..
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:07 PM   #43
Amg
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
It

My #1 reason for upgrade was adaptive cruise and lane departure. Have it on my wife's Explorer and daughter's Cherokee and LOVE it.
Both my 2015 and 2016 have lane departure. Neither have or were offered with adaptive cruise control (where the vehicle stays a certain distance from the vehicle in front and speeds up and slows down by itself.) I know it is a Mercedes option but not on the Sprinter. Are we talking about the same thing?
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:16 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Can you provide link to the Resonator? won't use genny on this trip but will be nice to have in garage to install when I get back.
Here's the one I used.

Here's the install thread.

Even tho the muffler was a press fit on the exhaust pipe, I still used clamps on each end. Reused the original clamps for the heat shield.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #45
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjgman View Post
The Mercedes chassis is 2014 and airstream did the RV build in 2015.. So it's a 2015 airstream but it's probably registered as a 2014..
Depends on where you are - my 2014 AS on 2013 MB was registered and taxed in NC as a 2014.

We'll see what they do with the 2016 on a 2015 chassis.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:55 AM   #46
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
Both my 2015 and 2016 have lane departure. Neither have or were offered with adaptive cruise control (where the vehicle stays a certain distance from the vehicle in front and speeds up and slows down by itself.) I know it is a Mercedes option but not on the Sprinter. Are we talking about the same thing?
hmmm - I played with it a little last night, but haven't been out on the highway. I know the lane departure works, and it as collision avoidance. I sure hope it has the adaptive cruise like my ford & jeep. If not it isn't a deal breaker but I will be disappointed.

Here is a 2014 for sale listed with Adaptive Cruise

Going to have to whip out the MB owner's manual now so I can check and see. . . .
Old 12-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #47
Amg
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
hmmm - I played with it a little last night, but haven't been out on the highway. I know the lane departure works, and it as collision avoidance. I sure hope it has the adaptive cruise like my ford & jeep. If not it isn't a deal breaker but I will be disappointed.

Here is a 2014 for sale listed with Adaptive Cruise

Going to have to whip out the MB owner's manual now so I can check and see. . . .
Mercedes was the first to offer adaptive cruise in 2000 on their S class. I had one and insisted that any car I bought had it. At first only the top end models had it now it is on more cars, but most don't offer it.

I wanted it on the Interstate but it appears Mercedes does not offer it on the Sprinter. I guess the reason is most sprinters are used for commercial purposes and it is quite a bit more expensive (a few grand more) and perhaps they don't want commercial drivers to rely on it.

I wish it had it, A great option.
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #48
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
Mercedes was the first to offer adaptive cruise in 2000 on their S class. I had one and insisted that any car I bought had it. At first only the top end models had it now it is on more cars, but most don't offer it.
Based on this MB announcement of safety features in the 2015 Chassis & a review of my owner's manual I have to say I probably don't have adaptive cruise control. . . (Nice Press Announcement here describing all the features)

My 2010 Ford Taurus has Adaptive Cruise, and I had a few cadi's before that with it. I Agree 100% the adaptive Cruise is a 'MUST HAVE' on every vehicle I own; much like XM-Radio was before I had unlimited data & Amazon Prime Music & Bluetooth (not so much now) .

I guess the good news is that the "Collision Prevention Assist" should kick in if I'm running 75 MPH on cruise behind a Semi Tractor Trailer running 55 MPH. . . . .

(speaking of collision avoidance: has everyone seen the volvo dealer doing the demo https://youtu.be/IBCr-XBWZaQ

*there is a nice warning note in MB owners manual that Collision Prevention Assist CANNOT detect people! LOL
Old 12-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Because it's located over an entrance door where people have to walk under it to climb in or out?
Quote:
Here is the curb side cabinet.

Attachment 253766

Mike
Doesn'tappear to be over the entry way in this pic.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:02 PM   #50
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Doesn'tappear to be over the entry way in this pic.

It's not really in the way for me, and it's padded really nice, but if coming from rear and heading out the door I see how you might have an issue with it IF you don't have a screen door.

Mike
Old 12-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #51
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Ok so here are some underside pics. Not sure I really like the battery "box" (more a shelf) note - I didn't remove anything. This is the way it's delivered! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1450037013.816212.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	253798

Here are a couple more showing the spare.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1450037109.216573.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	253799

Mike
Old 12-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #52
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Ok so here are some underside pics. Not sure I really like the battery "box" (more a shelf) note - I didn't remove anything. This is the way it's delivered! Attachment 253798

Here are a couple more showing the spare.

Attachment 253799

Mike
Shelf indeed! Looks just like the last Grand Tour that I upgraded last month.

I find it amazing that Airstream allows those battery cables to just hang there with NO PROTECTIVE SHEATHING on them like simple wire loom. I also find it incredulous that there is no over current protection (read fusing) on the red (positive) cable at the upper left of your photo that goes to the generator positive for starting.

NEC REQUIRES OVERCURRENT PROTECTION ON ANY POSITIVE LINE WITHIN 18" OF THE POWER SOURCE. That power feed cable is definitely longer than 18"………….. WHAT"S WRONG WITH YOU……...AIRSTREAM?????????

And considering they already use an MRBF (Ice Cube) fuse on the positive lead going into the coach, why not add a second MRBF fuse for the generator lead (which, BTW, should be on the same battery terminal feeding the coach).

I correct these 'oversights' during my solar/electrical upgrades. Come on Airstream…..DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!!!!!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
It's not really in the way for me, and it's padded really nice, but if coming from rear and heading out the door I see how you might have an issue with it IF you don't have a screen door.

Mike
Another reason to add the intermediate stop for the door.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:40 PM   #54
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Another reason to add the intermediate stop for the door.
One problem with a stop at the edge of the screen door is that you may not have enough momentum to close the door (an electric door sure would be nice).

I can't count the number of times I've gotten everyone loaded and pulled out; only to pull over and shut the slider again.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #55
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
NEC REQUIRES OVERCURRENT PROTECTION ON ANY POSITIVE LINE WITHIN 18" OF THE POWER SOURCE. That power feed cable is definitely longer than 18
Great - another recall that will come out in a year, that AS owners won't bother having fixed because we all live 2+ hours from a dealer. . . .
Old 12-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Shelf indeed! Looks just like the last Grand Tour that I upgraded last month.

I find it amazing that Airstream allows those battery cables to just hang there with NO PROTECTIVE SHEATHING on them like simple wire loom. I also find it incredulous that there is no over current protection (read fusing) on the red (positive) cable at the upper left of your photo that goes to the generator positive for starting.

NEC REQUIRES OVERCURRENT PROTECTION ON ANY POSITIVE LINE WITHIN 18" OF THE POWER SOURCE. That power feed cable is definitely longer than 18"………….. WHAT"S WRONG WITH YOU……...AIRSTREAM?????????

And considering they already use an MRBF (Ice Cube) fuse on the positive lead going into the coach, why not add a second MRBF fuse for the generator lead (which, BTW, should be on the same battery terminal feeding the coach).

I correct these 'oversights' during my solar/electrical upgrades. Come on Airstream…..DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would have been so simple to use a double MRBF fuse holder on the forward terminal and connect the generator lead there. That's what I did for my battery upgrade. Also I covered all the exposed cables with split loom tubing. Here are photos of my batteries (four GPL-4CTs) mounted on right and left side. I also laid mine on their long side so they are tucked up higher with bottom edges above the body metal. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1450048416.158509.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	253820Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1450048458.231916.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	253821

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #57
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
It would have been so simple to use a double MRBF fuse holder on the forward terminal and connect the generator lead there. I also laid mine on their long side so they are tucked up higher with bottom edges above the body metal.
- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Mike You and Lew should run over to Jackson and give the designers & installers a class. Sometimes I wonder where they come up with this stuff. 15 minutes on this forum and they'd find a dozen improvements that would cost nearly nothing to install, and save thousands in warranty/recall work.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Wonder how long it'll be before the druggies start pilfering the batteries for some more stash?

Old 12-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #59
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Wonder how long it'll be before the druggies start pilfering the batteries for some more stash?
It's not exactly common knowledge where the batteries are mounted, unless they're reading forums like this one…
Old 12-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
You all seem to expect too much from Airstream. Other than cutting, punching and bending metal, what more can they offer? I am surprised they are making a B and not a B+ so they could add an Al box to the Sprinter frame.
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote