Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2015, 07:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Congrats on the new rig.

It stinks about them deducting $1,000 for the ladder. They will probably use it as a sellng point and only remove it if the new buyer doesn't want it.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
My only thought is I would have gone with the VB Air Suspension option.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #23
Amg
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
As I previously posted I traded in my 2015 for a 2016 lounge solely to get the air suspension. I am very happy with the improved ride in the rear. We use the rear seating often for my grandkids. The initial post on this threat raised questions on the benefits of certain of the changes. I will add my two cents.

1. I view (not from a service or upgrade end) the benefit of having the electronic switches in the forward cabinet verses the rear as better. I can more easily read the voltage and turn on my generator.

2. The moving of the fuse box from under the rear lounge to the drivers side rear seat I don't like. I now have no storage tray under the rear seats and while the new pass through under the rear lounge seat to the back storage might seem good I don't find it useful.

3. I don't camp with the unit but use it as a day coach. I did order the screens both side and rear. The only reason I ordered the side screens was to allow the side door to open all the way. If screens are not ordered then a permenant stop is placed to allow the door to open half way. Unfortunately when I do open the door all the way ( gravity makes it happen by itself most times) I have to get out of coach to close door since screen is in the way) Further a new overhead cabinet above the second row passenger seat by the door is a head banger. I don't use the rear screen thus have no comment.

3. I had a white coach and chose a silver one so not to look like a Fed Ex truck. The black is very good looking but I am in Florida and want to avoid the additional heat a black vehicle would cause.

4. It is mentioned nowhere but on the 2016 you must manually turn on the rear camera everytime the engine is started. As regards the new side cameras, at first I did not like them as they automatically switch to side view when the turn signal is turned on. However, now I do like them it gives me added comfort to the red warning on the mirrors.
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
Did AS put a temp sensor on the magnum this time?
YES!!!! …………….. and it even works!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
3. Further a new overhead cabinet above the second row passenger seat by the door is a head banger.
How is it different than the street side second row overhead cabinet?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:27 PM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Because it's located over an entrance door where people have to walk under it to climb in or out?
Old 12-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #27
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Done deal & delivered.

Mike at Tom Johnson in Concord NC took good care of me. Actually did entire deal on phone and Internet. I'm a busy man so their driver drove it to my house (2 hrs one way) and picked up the trade!

Already impressed with upgrades from 2014 to 2016. We will see how much I enjoy washing the black van - but it's all mine so looking forward to it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1449860067.494839.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	253714

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Beautiful, and congratulations on your new baby.

Maggie
Old 12-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #29
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Thanks Maggie

No I have to go through and make all the modifications that I did my 2014

Cook ground in stereo so navigation and DVD work in Drive

Adjust wiring in step so that it will extend when door is open an engine running so when dripping 85 yr mother inlaw near entrance at the store. (Tricky since screens block the lower storage area I removed on 2014)

No need to adjust the stereo system great head unit good speakers and even a sub woofer on the curb side rear wheel well

Even the night shades for the front and side windows are decent much better than the cloth curtain, but side curtains not completely private.

All in all very happy a few QC issues as expected but as this is my second vehicle from Airstream I knew there were going to be some issues with double-sided tape and fit and finish.

Mike
Old 12-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
MJ Your navigation should work in drive.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:44 PM   #31
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Navigation does, there's just those pesky 'you can't search for a gas station while moving' meanwhile I'm driving & wife is trying to look ahead for fuel or a wal-mart to park at for the night (LOL).
Old 12-11-2015, 08:06 PM   #32
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
My only thought is I would have gone with the VB Air Suspension option.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
I hope I don't regret it on the 16 hr drive to Illinois next week. It was $7,000 difference but I'm sure that would have passed through to resale value. Really would have been different if I had driven it and loved it. But we only ride in back once a year, to bring my kids (now 25-30yrs old) from NC to IL and back at Christmas.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Regarding the resonator: Using a smart phone App I showed a 3 db reduction outside and a slightly bigger reduction inside. Even better than the inside db reduction was a reduction of the sharp rap to the noise. Well worth the $40, and easy to install. I didn't see a need for more clamps.

I did add a chrome sink drain at the end - looks real nice but am not sure how long it will last. Not out much if it doesn't last.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #34
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
It is a little smaller and sticks out into the door area, you can smack your head while exiting the van if not careful.

Some other points he made.
1) I miss the under seat trays as well - they were PERFECT for the water bottles and dog food.

2) The rear camera is wired to a switched power - I've already decided I'll be finding that and figuring it out - that Right Side Camera is a PERFECT video camera down the right side of the door. (lots of curious people knock on my doors for some reason after I have all the shades pulled and windows covered. Will be nice to have a video camera looking out there rather than having to hold the .45 behind my back

3) The new 22" TV (or whatever size it is) in the front is nice, but I've hit my head on it twice today while crawling around in the cab working on connections - at least it has a break away (tips up) so when I smacked it really hard the whole TV popped up!

4) they put nice hanger hooks in the back of this one too! I actually had placed nice stainless drawer pulls to my ceiling and then attached a coat rod across it - nice to see they include that as standard now.

5) MOST USEFUL TODAY - as I was still reloading tools, cords, targets, etc after dark - were the two LED lamps mounted in the rear under the lounge - I can't count the number of times I went to the back to get something only to be wishing I was wearing Night Vision Goggles because it was so dark! Even bought a 12v dome light to put up just never got it installed.

I'll keep everyone up to date on what I find as I go along - and will report on the roll and roughness of the suspension compared to my upgraded Sprinter Store suspension on the 14

My #1 reason for upgrade was adaptive cruise and lane departure. Have it on my wife's Explorer and daughter's Cherokee and LOVE it.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #35
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Regarding the resonator: Using a smart phone App I showed a 3 db reduction outside and a slightly bigger reduction inside. Even better than the inside db reduction was a reduction of the sharp rap to the noise. Well worth the $40, and easy to install. I didn't see a need for more clamps.

I did add a chrome sink drain at the end - looks real nice but am not sure how long it will last. Not out much if it doesn't last.
Can you provide link to the Resonator? won't use genny on this trip but will be nice to have in garage to install when I get back.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:06 PM   #36
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Can you provide link to the Resonator? won't use genny on this trip but will be nice to have in garage to install when I get back.
I ordered mine from americanrvcompany.com. Part no is 155-2449 made by Onan.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:35 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
Quote:
Navigation does, there's just those pesky 'you can't search for a gas station while moving' meanwhile I'm driving & wife is trying to look ahead for fuel or a wal-mart to park at for the night (LOL).

This is a good app we use it all the time to find out what's ahead of us.. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1449930900.743338.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	253740
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #38
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Insurance -

I had insurance on my 2014 through Geico and it was great (had a wind damage claim - paid it no problem, even let me do the repair so I didn't have to drive 6 hrs to dealer)

Unfortunately Geico doesn't offer insurance for this rig in NC so they flipped me to Foremost for coverage. I have great credit no claims (the wind doesn't go on record) my zip in Pinehurst, NC has no crime at all, and they gave me a rate of $837.00 for 12 months (I think its 12 months, that is when card they sent me expires).

Anyone else ever heard of FOREMOST? Any feedback on the rate I received?

Motorhome Insurance | Foremost Insurance Group
Old 12-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #39
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Any feedback on the rate I received?
I think it's a good rate. Here in the New Orleans suburbs I pay about 1% of the purchase price, per year, for my Agreed Value insurance policy with comprehensive coverage equal to the purchase price plus the contents value, with liability coverage equal to the value of everything I own— which in a litigious state like Louisiana is the only sane liability coverage limit to have.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #40
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Here is the curb side cabinet. Lose my cubbyhole where I kept bug spray, sunscreen and solarcain (in case we didn't use sunscreen)

Also the bathroom light switch is moved to over the sink, next to water pump (more rational then where it was, but betting I still forget to turn it on when I go in, since I normally leave pump on when on the road.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1449944758.382521.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	253766

Mike