Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2016, 12:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loma Mar , California
2016 Interstate Interior Mirror flashes brightly with side camera use

Our 2016 Interstate has side mounted camera's to help with lane changes, projecting an image on the central mounted "rear-view" mirror. The same mirror where the rear camera image is projected. Yes, it does seem luxurious. I would do without them, but it was standard equipment.

When using these side cameras that are triggered with the turn signal, there is a flash of the central, before mentioned interior mirror. Not particularly noticeable during the day, but at night, the flash is quite distracting and potentially dangerous.

Anyone experience this? Anyone know of a solution or update?

Haasman
Haasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:26 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
Our 2016 Interstate has side mounted camera's to help with lane changes, projecting an image on the central mounted "rear-view" mirror. The same mirror where the rear camera image is projected. Yes, it does seem luxurious. I would do without them, but it was standard equipment.

When using these side cameras that are triggered with the turn signal, there is a flash of the central, before mentioned interior mirror. Not particularly noticeable during the day, but at night, the flash is quite distracting and potentially dangerous.
Does this have to do with the amber turn signal light built into the lower part of the outside mirror?

One way to find out is to temporarily tape over the turn signal and try signalling a lane change. If the flash in the monitor goes away, then that turn signal light is your culprit. Then you'd have to decide which is more important— the camera or the extra turn signal (neither of which is legally required). If you decide to forgo the extra turn signal, removing the bulb from that signal is all you need to fix the problem forever.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:08 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Does this have to do with the amber turn signal light built into the lower part of the outside mirror?

One way to find out is to temporarily tape over the turn signal and try signalling a lane change. If the flash in the monitor goes away, then that turn signal light is your culprit. Then you'd have to decide which is more important— the camera or the extra turn signal (neither of which is legally required). If you decide to forgo the extra turn signal, removing the bulb from that signal is all you need to fix the problem forever.
If your state mandates a safety inspection, in most of those states all factory installed exterior lights have to be installed and operable. I've attempted to remove bulbs that were not required by law (think fog lights) when they constantly burned out, and the truck failed safety inspection. I had to remove the entire assembly, and install the factory block off covers, before it would pass.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:15 AM   #4

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
If your state mandates a safety inspection, in most of those states all factory installed exterior lights have to be installed and operable.
Good point. I suppose replacing the mirrors with similar models that don't have turn signal lamps built in would be a better— albeit more expensive— solution. But still, before going to the expense, the OP should try the experiment to see if that's really the problem.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loma Mar , California
The flashing I am speaking about, is not from the exterior mirror signal indicator. It is the central, interior mirror. On the 2016 Interstates, an image appears on the center interior mirror from one of the outside cameras when the turn signal is used.

At night, the INTERIOR center mirror flashes brightly.

Haasman
Old 04-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #6

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
The flashing I am speaking about, is not from the exterior mirror signal indicator. It is the central, interior mirror. On the 2016 Interstates, an image appears on the center interior mirror from one of the outside cameras when the turn signal is used.

At night, the INTERIOR center mirror flashes brightly.
The interior "mirror" is not a mirror, it's a camera monitor, so any flash you see in the monitor is probably a flash picked up by a camera. If that's not the case, then I've got nothing and someone else will have to figure it out.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Heathrow , Florida
The flash I see is when the turn signal view returns to the rear camera view. I don't see anything abnormal about that though it does get your attention
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
How do you contact the moderator

I paid my supporting fee but it doesn't show up on my profile
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post

Might try the "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the page.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #10
J&J In A Can

Cottonwood , Arizona
Ours does the same thing. I'm just glad we don't drive it much at night as it is somewhat annoying. It probably happens because the backlight come on before the LCD activates, giving you unfiltered backlight for an instant. That would be in the software of the monitor itself most likely. I'm choosing to ignore it as much as possible.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post

Sometimes it can take them a day or two to respond, in my experience.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:43 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loma Mar , California
Moderator:
Quote:

This doesn't belong in this posting.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:47 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loma Mar , California
Yes, the center interior mirror is not a real mirror. It is a screen. I agree it must be either a software error or a firmware error. On long drives at night, away from city lights it is very distracting. I think it is dangerous because you eyes have adjust.

It is a bright flash. Enough so that it disturbs the passenger in the right-front seat, and even passengers in the very back will ask "Was that lightening".

Wonder who the manufacturer of this mirror is? Like to contact them.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
They used to use Pyle. Don't know what the new ones use. Didn't a manual come w/ the Airstream portfolio on instructions? Or did they quit doing that?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
2016 Interstate Interior Mirror flashes brightly with side camera use

Quote:
Yes, the center interior mirror is not a real mirror. It is a screen. I agree it must be either a software error or a firmware error. On long drives at night, away from city lights it is very distracting. I think it is dangerous because you eyes have adjust.

It is a bright flash. Enough so that it disturbs the passenger in the right-front seat, and even passengers in the very back will ask "Was that lightening".

Wonder who the manufacturer of this mirror is? Like to contact them.

Agree on the annoying flash - visible at night

Was not an issue on the 2015 ASI, but is a problem on the 2016 ASI

Scott
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:23 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loma Mar , California
I will go through the literature again and see if I can find something related to the mirror and its manufacturer. Who knows, maybe there is an update that can be implemented.

Haasman