Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
2016 interstate grand tour house battery problems

Newbie alert. First post

Could anyone please help me with an issue I am having with a 2016 airstream interstate grand tour ? The house batteries take a charge while plugged in to 120 shore power. Then while driving along with the fridge and freezer turned the batteries continually drain until the generator must be started to bring them back up to charge. Then same thing happens again. We are in the process of driving from Toronto to Florida and had to run the generator most of the time just to keep the fridge and freezer going. Turned the master switch and propane switch off at night so that we did not have to run the generator all night. Seems like there must be An issue. I would have thought that the BIM would have kept up with the draw from the pRopane switch, fridge and freezer during the drive down ??

There was snow on the roof so no solar until 18 hours into the drive. When I picked up the airstream from the first owner he said he had challenges with the batteries (he only used it for 10000 miles and three trips). I called Lifeline and they told me that there was a recall on the airstream interstate grand tour as the disconnect switch did not turn off the inverter. Airstream sent me the parts and a mechanic installed them. Now there is a solenoid that cuts off the inverter when the master switch is flipped. There was also a ground wire change recall to stop the coach from burning up.. Both are done now. Happy to share details on these if helpful to others. there are new lifeline batteries in coach (thanks to LIFELINE who were very helpful and offered batteries at a discount to account for air streams recall issues that toasts batteries ).

Any and all help is appreciated. Please call if it is easier. Happy to talk live and diagnose this if possible. Let me know if I can post a phone number here or if Better in pm. Thanks again.. Cameron
Camerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
It's possible that the batteries have been damaged by discharging a lot or completely so now even with the recalls done, they won't hold a charge.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I experienced a similar problem with my batteries on my first trips....just would not hold a charge. Called Airstream, as there is a 3 year warranty. I went to local dealer and Batteries were replaced, and no further problems with them. Hope this helps.

One should avoid posting personal info, I.e., phone, email, address, etc, on forum, as it is not a secure site for your info. For the same reason, never tell when you leave home, exactly where you are going, etc. Security issue for you, as this forum may be viewed by other than honest campers. Just my simple advice.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Since you stated the batteries have been replaced I would assume it is not the batteries. Plus you state the Generator will charge the batteries. I suspect the BIM because if you are driving then the batteries should remain fully charged with far more accessories running than the just the Fridge and Freezer. I would:

1) Check fuses to the BIM (I think there is a 1 Amp fuse) to make sure it is receiving power.

2) I would press the Emergency Start Battery Push button on the dash and see if you can hear the BIM connect.

You can read this thread to understand the recall and solenoid installed as a part the recall. Very mixed views on the benefits of this change by AI.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...aw-144101.html
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
I am with Mcrider. The BIM allows over 100 amps of charge current to come from the engine which is far superior to charging with the generator. There is a fuse that is in line with the power feed from the main engine battery/alternator. Maybe it is blown?
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
BTW if you are electrically inclined, you can measure the voltage going into the BIM to rule out a problem on the input side.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
BTW if you are electrically inclined, you can measure the voltage going into the BIM to rule out a problem on the input side.
Actually you can just read the voltage going into the BIM right on the Monitor Panel. See attached image, switch on lower right corner allows you to check both battery systems voltages. BATT MAIN is the Sprinter chassis battery voltage at the BIM and BATT AUX is the coach batteries voltage also at the BIM.

If the BATT MAIN voltage is zero it could mean that one of two fuses are blown. There is a 1A fuse inline holder right near the BIM. This fuse does not affect the BIM function, it just goes to meter and the CO Detector . The other fuse is the large 200A fuse right at the battery under the driver seat. If that large fuse is blow then no power from chassis batter will reach the coach batteries via the BIM. Also if this 200 A fuse is blown you need to determine the cause as you likely have a major short in the wire from chassis battery to the BIM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monitor Panel.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	277517  
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
Thanks for all the advice !

Appreciate all your help ! I also talked to Lew on the phone who was really helpful. Here is the latest.

The solar charge panel reads all over the place. Sometimes it says the battery is at 10% sometimes at 100% however it also thinks sometimes that the voltage is 22v not 12v. When it thinks the system is on 12 v then the batteries are at 95-100%. I.e. Everything is working perfectly. Then for some reason it will switch to 24v and think the batteries are terribly run down. Lew said to heck the solar charge wires on the bus under the jump seat. Will do that later looking for a lose wire.

The main battery often reads 14 when engine running. Or -a little less with engine off. The aux battery reads 12.7 or 12.4 when it is low. When it is at 12.4 and the engine is running it does charge back up to 12.7. The problem was I was assuming that the solar gauge was correct and then it was saying that the batteries were at 15% they really were not. I gather either lose wire on the solar or the solar panel is broken.

Right now with all the stars aligning the solar panel is working and early in florida sun the solar panel is putting out 0.9 amps. Batteries are 100%