Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
J&J In A Can

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cottonwood , Arizona
2016 Interstate Documentation

Hello everyone. Yep, we are new to the forum. For the last few months we have been searching the internet (and forum) for information on the care and feeding of the new 2016 Grand Tour Interstate, since we have money down on one. It’s nice to find all the videos that show how to open and close all the nice cabinet doors, but it’s not so easy to find information about how to operate all the electrical systems and how they interact.
I downloaded the 2016 owner’s manual from Airstream and while it talks about the various systems it doesn’t present any kind of high level system overview. For example, should the inverter be turned off when running the generator or connected to shore power? I’ve been doing a study of each system component to figure this out for myself, but it would be nice if the system designers had produced a document that explains what they were thinking when they did what they did. Does anyone know if there is such a document? (Lewster perhaps?)
I’m thinking a trip to Jackson Center may be in order just to see what they have on site. I’ve called but no one answered and apparently they don’t call back. Probably too busy building our Interstate, I hope.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToWander View Post
I’ve been doing a study of each system component to figure this out for myself, but it would be nice if the system designers had produced a document that explains what they were thinking when they did what they did. Does anyone know if there is such a document?
Try this one…
http://www.amazon.com/Airstream-Life.../dp/B00O4G13L6
Old 12-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #3
J&J In A Can

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cottonwood , Arizona
Protagonist, that's awesome! Thanks. I hope to meet you in person some day.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the Air Forums. Enjoy you new ride.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Here's the good news - it gets a lot easier with actual practice. You can read, study, and add your own idiot-proof labeling and punch lists (one of my examples here), but no matter which learning routes you take, a short time into ownership you'll be pushing buttons and pulling levers and most of it will become automatic, second nature. Welcome to the jungle.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:25 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Welcome!

We used to live near Elkhart, IN, the home of many RV and MH companies. Most of them have traditionally shut down for at least a week over the holidays.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Here's the good news - it gets a lot easier with actual practice. You can read, study, and add your own idiot-proof labeling and punch lists (one of my examples here), but no matter which learning routes you take, a short time into ownership you'll be pushing buttons and pulling levers and most of it will become automatic, second nature. Welcome to the jungle.

^^^ This ^^^

I had the exact some questions when I bought my van. You will learn more here and with practice than you will from the dealer orientation (at least in my case).

And then again...there will be some things you may never understand
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
As Protag has said in the past, it's a good idea to video tape your orientation. And also after the dealer shows you how to operate something, go thru it again yourself w/ his assistance, and then repeat again on your own.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
As Protag has said in the past, it's a good idea to video tape your orientation. And also after the dealer shows you how to operate something, go thru it again yourself w/ his assistance, and then repeat again on your own.
That goes back to what one of my college professors said… You learn everything three times. Once when you see it, once when you hear it, and once when you do it.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Good that you can still remember those days.

Hope I quoted you accurately.