Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Unhappy 2015 Grand Tour Ext bad batteries?

How do you determine if coach batteries are bad?

These are the stock batteries (AGM 24) and I think they may have been bad when I purchased the unit. I ran a test last night to try and determine if I could overnight with just the fridge and freezer running and nothing else running other than what draw occurs from items that can't be turned off. I unplugged the unit at 9pm and then checked this morning at 7am, batteries were drained. I know that you aren't suppose to go below 50% but I didn't know how else to test. I tested with the unit in the garage, temperature was approx 70 degrees and down to 66 overnight.

Am I expecting to much for the batteries to run the fridge and freezer overnight?
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalwyn View Post
How do you determine if coach batteries are bad?

These are the stock batteries (AGM 24) and I think they may have been bad when I purchased the unit. I ran a test last night to try and determine if I could overnight with just the fridge and freezer running and nothing else running other than what draw occurs from items that can't be turned off. I unplugged the unit at 9pm and then checked this morning at 7am, batteries were drained. I know that you aren't suppose to go below 50% but I didn't know how else to test. I tested with the unit in the garage, temperature was approx 70 degrees and down to 66 overnight.

Am I expecting to much for the batteries to run the fridge and freezer overnight?
A single-door Nova Kool refrigerator draws about 2.4 amps. A single-door Nova Kool freezer draws 4.4 amps. Together they draw 6.8 amps. Those of us without Grand Tours only have to deal with a 2.4-amp draw, those with Grand Tour with a 6.8-amp draw.

Two Group 24 house batteries have a total capacity of about 160 amp-hours, so drawing them down to a 50% charge state SHOULD let you use 80 amps. Well, 80 ÷ 6.8 = 11.76 hours. The fridge and freezer cycle on and off, so let's round up to 12 hours for planning purposes. But when initially cooling the units from room temperature, they will be on continuously until they reach the temperature you set on the thermostat and they can cycle off for the first time.

If the fridge and freezer were the ONLY load on the house batteries, you'd get about 12 hours of run time before you had to recharge the house batteries. With the parasitic draws, you'd get less than 12 hours before your house batteries dropped below 50% charge state. Also, since you were running the units in a garage, and overnight besides, no help at all from the solar panel.

So to answer your question, your batteries may not be bad— or at least they weren't. This appears to be more along the lines of a design flaw. Airstream really should have calculated the loads and sized the batteries accordingly, instead of adding more loads to the Grand Tour and keeping the same two Group 24 batteries used in other Interstates. Really, limiting battery capacity so that you get less than 24 hours off the grid before recharging is necessary means the Grand Tour is the LEAST boondocking-capable Interstate when it SHOULD be the MOST capable.

Wonder if there is room underneath the van for a second battery box, and/or room in the battery box to replace the two Group 24s with two 6-volt batteries in series to give you greater amp-hour capacity?
Old 09-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
Protagonist - Thanks for the great info. I not sure about being able to add a second battery box. Someone suggested that I try and upgrade to a Lifeline GPL31XT. Do you know if the stock batteries are Lifeline?
Old 09-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Protagonist - Thanks for the great info. I not sure about being able to add a second battery box. Someone suggested that I try and upgrade to a Lifeline GPL31XT. Do you know if the stock batteries are Lifeline?
Pretty sure they are.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
2015 Grand Tour Ext bad batteries?

Stock AI batteries are usually Lifeline GPL-24T. I typically remove the battery box structure and install a pair of GPL-6CT golf cart batteries at 300! amp/hours. The GPL-31XT should also fit if you want to stay with 12VDC batteries.

I don't advise splitting battery locations, as it will create a problem with the battery temp. sensor if some are inside and others are outside.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #6
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
What do you think of the Lifeline GPL 4CT's Lew. They will easily fit the OEM battery box.
Bill
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
What do you think of the Lifeline GPL 4CT's Lew. They will easily fit the OEM battery box.
Bill
Just as good as the GPL-6CTs.....only shorter with 220 amp/hours rather than 300.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Lewis, thanks for the info on separating the batterys. Makes sense. Never thought there could be a problem.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:26 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Stock AI batteries are usually Lifeline GPL-24T. I typically remove the battery box structure and install a pair of GPL-6CT golf cart batteries at 300! amp/hours.
Are there any issues in using 6volt vs 12volt if I switch to the GPL-6CT? Anything else that needs to be changed or do I just remove old and install new? Does the battery box structure need to be changed or will what's there work?
Old 09-28-2015, 07:00 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
Also, one other question. How long does it normally take for the house batteries to completely charge? I leave my unit plugged in to 30amp outlet all day and when I unplug the monitor only reflects 80% charge. Am I hurting the batteries by leaving the unit plugged in all the time?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, still learning.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Re: 6 volt swap....your 12 volt batteries are wired in parallel. You would need to re-wire the 6 volt in series to get 12 volt service. If you have a Magnum charger in the Grand Tour (I think you do) continuous plug-in is not damaging....quite the contrary....it is recommended. IMHO
Old 09-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
The OP has a Grand Tour model. The batteries are mounted under the van in rear roadside corner. Not sure those brackets will work with a different battery.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1443450584.511015.jpg
Views:	1292
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	249209

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Also, one other question. How long does it normally take for the house batteries to completely charge? I leave my unit plugged in to 30amp outlet all day and when I unplug the monitor only reflects 80% charge. Am I hurting the batteries by leaving the unit plugged in all the time?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, still learning.

Thanks
Your Magnum MMS-1012 inverter/charger has an integrated 50 amp charging section. you should see 100% charge over an entire day. I always use a Magnum ME-RC programmable remote when I do a Magnum install or upgrade. This gives you far ore capabilities than the ME-MR that Airstream installs.

If your batteries are drawn to 50% and you have the stock group 24 batteries, that means that you have to replace 80 amp/hours of charge. With a 50 amp charger, that should take less than 2 hours when plugged in and utilizing the Magnum. Sounds like something is not set correctly in the Magnum........which wouldn't surprise me at all.

I wold suggest doing the monitor upgrade and also adding their temperature sensor if they have not included one. This is especially important now that they have moved their batteries outside!!
Old 09-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Sounds like something is not set correctly in the Magnum........which wouldn't surprise me at all.D

I have a 2 page Magnum Settings PDF sent to me by Airstream. Haven't found a way to include it here using my iPad which I'm using while on a trip, but I can email it to anyone on request.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Would light to see it if possible, just to see what they recommend. lew@gorge.net

Thanks!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 09-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Would light to see it if possible, just to see what they recommend.

Sent. Feel free to post it here if you're happy with it.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-28-2015, 04:16 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
The OP has a Grand Tour model. The batteries are mounted under the van in rear roadside corner. Not sure those brackets will work with a different battery.
Attachment 249209
Does anyone know if I would have to change our the brackets?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

Thanks
Measure your existing batteries and compare dimensions w/ those of the batteries you want to install. If Airstream is using the same Lifelines, then the 6V batteries are a small amount taller and in the Grand Tour configuration, may not require bracket changes.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:

Thanks

Lifeline battery sizes are tabulated on their website;
http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/rvd...ebatteries.php

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-29-2015, 03:52 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the link to Lifeline will do some measurements.