Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 04:21 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...to_threadtools

Above link is the discussion about the solenoid and what a cheap piece of junk it is. It would work intermittently and show a no connection error. I removed mine because it smelled like it was going to cause a fire from over heating. It is easy to remove the two cables and use a bolt and nut to connect them together. Insulate the connection and you should have no more trouble. The magnum will charge the batteries with the main switch in the off or on posistion now. You will have to remember the turn off the inverter when not in use to avoid excessive battery drain.
Good Luck !
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:48 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Susan,
You can check to see if the selenoid is your problem by simply connecting both red wires to the same terminal on the selenoid. This will bypass it.

I had a bad selenoid but it gave me a “ no com” fault on the magnum display. As I recall you were not seeing this fault

Do worry, you’ll figure it out
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:50 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitte View Post
Susan,
You can check to see if the selenoid is your problem by simply connecting both red wires to the same terminal on the selenoid. This will bypass it.

I had a bad selenoid but it gave me a “ no com” fault on the magnum display. As I recall you were not seeing this fault

Do worry, you’ll figure it out

Don’t worry! [emoji3]
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:04 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...to_threadtools

Above link is the discussion about the solenoid and what a cheap piece of junk it is. It would work intermittently and show a no connection error. I removed mine because it smelled like it was going to cause a fire from over heating. It is easy to remove the two cables and use a bolt and nut to connect them together. Insulate the connection and you should have no more trouble. The magnum will charge the batteries with the main switch in the off or on posistion now. You will have to remember the turn off the inverter when not in use to avoid excessive battery drain.
Good Luck !
Magic1820, start looking at around post #100. Good visual pictures for what you need to work on. Remember to disconnect your batteries first and sounds like you can tie the two leads together as a simple solution.
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitte View Post
Susan,
This is good advice and an easy way to determine is the SB164 solenoid is causing the problem.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:36 PM   #26
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
On my former 2014.5 AI, I replaced the solenoid with a heavy-duty battery switch.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:03 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
On my former 2014.5 AI, I replaced the solenoid with a heavy-duty battery switch.
Yet another switch to add.
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:41 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Rancho Santa Fe , California
Those posts have been VERY helpful.

I bypassed the solenoid SB 164 and for the past two days everything is functioning.
I will install a switch in its place in the next few days.

Thanks to everyone on this forum
This is starting to be fun.
Magic1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:39 PM   #29
Engineer

Airstream - Other
SENATOBIA , Mississippi
2015 Grand Tour electrical issues

I also had the corrosion problem with the solar connector on the roof of a 2016 interstate grand tour. One of the lugs corroded and broke off.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:35 AM   #30

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Atwater , OH
No DC in Coach or to engine

I have the same issue with my Interstate, but with the additional issue of no DC to the engine which prevents me to sart the vehicle. Does anyone know if replacing the Magnum Inverter would also solve the engine problem, or would that be something else entirely?
fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:03 AM   #31
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredward View Post
I have the same issue with my Interstate, but with the additional issue of no DC to the engine which prevents me to start the vehicle. Does anyone know if replacing the Magnum Inverter would also solve the engine problem, or would that be something else entirely?
The Magnum inverter has nothing to do with the chassis (start) battery except to charge that battery through the battery manager if required when the coach is either plugged in externally or the generator is running.

You may have a bad battery or there may be a phantom draw from the audio/nav system pulling the battery down. Make sure that the start battery disconnect by the accelerator pedal is clean and securely plugged in.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote