Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2020, 04:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
glen ellyn , Illinois
2015 AI Motor seized at 69K miles

I am posting on this thread as suggested by another member. I am looking for other MB Sprinter van owners that motor seized.

In June 2017 I purchased from a small RV dealer in AZ a 2015 Airstream Interstate EXT. It is on an MB Sprinter. I keep excellent care of her. I have the MB dealer change the oil and look at her every year. I currently have 69,000 miles.

I was on a trip from Chicago to Steamboat Springs, CO, and motor seized. I was stranded along the side of a busy road. I was going up a small hill and I could feel that I was losing power. I pulled over to the side of the road and the AI would not start again. It was towed to a MB dealer in Davenport, Iowa. They told me my motor was seized but could not tell why. I had good oil, good diesel, fluids.... I then had it towed to a MB dealer in St. Charles, IL that told me the same thing. Motor dead and they could not tell me what happened. They said a repurposed engine would take several weeks to get from Germany. I am not sure I want a repurposed engine for $17K. A repurposed engine will not look so good for resale.

I called MB this morning - my warrantee was up in March. I begged for mercy. I got a big fat NO. I am going to pay for a repurposed engine from Germany. The dealership said that obtaining a new motor and a repurposed motor is a challenge these days.

I am trying to connect with other owners that may have experienced this same issue.
jacdimarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Hey dude, welcome to Air Forums and welcome to our small and exclusive club of Interstate owners whose engines self-destructed. Mine didn't seize, exactly. It sort of exploded. May 14, 2019 - a day I will never forget for multiple unrelated reasons.

I'm going to depart from forum precedent and PM you because this might be better discussed over the phone, if you are willing. There are too many considerations to discuss in a thread. It's too inefficient.

If we do talk, we'll post back a synopsis of the story here.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:23 PM   #3
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Welcome to the forums, but this is a Mercedes problem, not an Airstream problem. Although there may be others here who've experienced similar issues, I doubt there are many. My suggestion would be that you repost your story on the Sprinter forums. You're likely to find more folks with Sprinter experience there.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:13 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
glen ellyn , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
Welcome to the forums, but this is a Mercedes problem, not an Airstream problem. Although there may be others here who've experienced similar issues, I doubt there are many. My suggestion would be that you repost your story on the Sprinter forums. You're likely to find more folks with Sprinter experience there.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php
I get that it is a MB problem not a Airstream. Since the Airstream is made on a MB sprinter, I thought I would ask and a few people have contacted me.
jacdimarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
Welcome to the forums, but this is a Mercedes problem, not an Airstream problem. ...
Technically, yes, but functionally, it might be a mixed bag. My suspicion is that the chronic operation of the Sprinter near GVWR contributes to some of these premature and catastrophic engine failures. So while Sprinter Forum is a good additional source for the OP, the Class B context is also relevant.

The OP texted me last night, and we will probably chat this evening.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:09 AM   #6
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdimarco View Post
I get that it is a MB problem not a Airstream. Since the Airstream is made on a MB sprinter, I thought I would ask and a few people have contacted me.
Excellent. I wasn't trying to dissuade you in any way; Airstream Interstates are just such a small fraction of the Sprinters on the road that I think you will likely find a larger samplng of folks with your issues on the Sprinter forum which isn't limited to AIs.

And to IB's point, while the Airstream up-fit is probably heavier than our T1N Sprinters would like, that there are literally thousands of them (ok... maybe a couple of thousand anyway... I have no idea what the production numbers were...) that have run well over 100k miles (mine has 117k and I know Maggie's is pushing 200k) without blowing the engines would indicate that as a design, the drivetrains are generally up to the task.

Again, my point there being that Airstream wouldn't warranty the MB chassis anyway, even if they loaded it up to twice the GVWR. They'd tell you to talk to MB about whatever failed.

There are a lot more NCV3s in service that have a LOT more miles on their original drivetrains, so these individual cases are apparently not the norm, yet they do happen. That's why I find the folks over at the Sprinter forums to be so valuable in sorting issues like this where an engine or trans fails prematurely.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:29 AM   #7
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Technically, yes, but functionally, it might be a mixed bag. My suspicion is that the chronic operation of the Sprinter near GVWR contributes to some of these premature and catastrophic engine failures. So while Sprinter Forum is a good additional source for the OP, the Class B context is also relevant.

The OP texted me last night, and we will probably chat this evening.
That's good. I hope you can help him sort it all out.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Already chatted. I said dude above - bad assumption on my part. It's actually dudette.

Statistics, guys (and gals). Yes, on average, the Sprinter is obviously up to the task of hauling around stuff that weighs more than it does. But "on average" necessarily points to the existence of excursions and outliers. And those outliers are potentially traceable within their functional spaces, one of which is right here.

Stay tuned for more info on how this predicament plays out. It'll be a valuable data point for other non-T1N owners who may eventually face a similar challenge in the future. I can walk any given T1N owner through all of their options explicitly, having been there myself just a year ago. I am less familiar with the NCV3 alternatives.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:09 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
Is sourcing a used, low mileage, engine from a wrecked (junkyard) Sprinter an option? Does the $17K cost you were quoted include installation?
Kitcat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #10
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitcat7 View Post
Is sourcing a used, low mileage, engine from a wrecked (junkyard) Sprinter an option? Does the $17K cost you were quoted include installation?
I love that idea, as long as it wasn't totaled for a front-end accident...although if the $17K includes labor, I have another thought: Instead of going to an MB dealer with their sky-high labor rates, why not go with a Freightliner dealer who handles and services Sprinters? They can't do warranty / recall work on Sprinters, but since this work presses zero of those buttons, it's worth a call to your local Freighliner. They'd do the same work for a much lower hourly rate than pretty much any MB dealer, and with their certified Sprinter mechanics, the work would be just as good. A Freightliner dealer might also have a better line into the junkyard ecosystem where they could find exactly what's needed here. Given that MB has clearly decided any and all of the OP's potential future business with MB is not worth the trouble of helping them out with this, it's clearly time to pull the ripcord and get this expensive service work done at a Freightliner dealer instead.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
IIRC, the Sprinter diesel motor is common to the model and has long been used. There is good availability of these motors in used market. Independent and aftermarket shops use these sources frequently and it's a solid and thriving market.

Search car-part.com

There's even some brand new take-off motors with almost no miles. These should be suitable as a source. Call rather than email if you're inquiring as that's the common form of communication for this industry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sprinterdiesel.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	379825
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitcat7 View Post
That is one possibility, yes, subject to a smorgasbord of caveats. The OP and I discussed by phone various ways to go about evaluating whether it's a viable option in her situation.

The OP is set to fork over thousands and thousands of dollars no matter which course of action she takes. She agrees that the prudent thing to do is to exhaust every investigation so that she can then compare pros and cons of each alternative.

I'm responding in her stead because we are both working people and between work, family and exploded Interstate, it's a lot to handle. I'm eating my lunch right now, which is why I'm ducking back into this thread for a minute.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdimarco View Post
I am posting on this thread as suggested by another member. I am looking for other MB Sprinter van owners that motor seized.

In June 2017 I purchased from a small RV dealer in AZ a 2015 Airstream Interstate EXT. It is on an MB Sprinter. I keep excellent care of her. I have the MB dealer change the oil and look at her every year. I currently have 69,000 miles.

I was on a trip from Chicago to Steamboat Springs, CO, and motor seized. I was stranded along the side of a busy road. I was going up a small hill and I could feel that I was losing power. I pulled over to the side of the road and the AI would not start again. It was towed to a MB dealer in Davenport, Iowa. They told me my motor was seized but could not tell why. I had good oil, good diesel, fluids.... I then had it towed to a MB dealer in St. Charles, IL that told me the same thing. Motor dead and they could not tell me what happened. They said a repurposed engine would take several weeks to get from Germany. I am not sure I want a repurposed engine for $17K. A repurposed engine will not look so good for resale.
What a bummer, and sorry for your experience.

My 06 had 193,000 well maintained miles on it when I wrecked it in May 2018.

It was still going strong, with no engine issues at all but the near universal turbo resonator failure replaced under warranty fairly early on.

My current 07 has about 86,000 miles on it.

Good luck in getting this resolved.

Maggie
Old 10-01-2020, 12:30 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bozeman , Montana
A bit off topic but since it was mentioned above ... MB directed us to our local Freightliner Center recently for the airbag recall. The nearest MB dealer is 150 miles away, don't know if this was a factor.
ArcherTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherTC View Post
A bit off topic but since it was mentioned above ... MB directed us to our local Freightliner Center recently for the airbag recall. The nearest MB dealer is 150 miles away, don't know if this was a factor.
Interesting. Maybe they gave special permission in your case, due to distance to a MB dealer who handles Sprinters. Congrats!

Old 10-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Freightliner is owned by Daimler which is also the parent company of Mercedes-Benz. I’ve had three Sprinter warranty items taken care of by my local Freightliner dealership, which is also a Sprinter dealer. Given a choice, I’d take our bus to them every time over a Mercedes dealer.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:51 PM   #17

That's good news, though my local Freightliner dealer told me directly that they could not address warranty or recall issues for my Sprinter. Maybe in my market the Freightliner and MB dealers are too close together, who knows.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I love that idea, as long as it wasn't totaled for a front-end accident...although if the $17K includes labor, I have another thought: Instead of going to an MB dealer with their sky-high labor rates, why not go with a Freightliner dealer who handles and services Sprinters? They can't do warranty / recall work on Sprinters, but since this work presses zero of those buttons, it's worth a call to your local Freighliner. They'd do the same work for a much lower hourly rate than pretty much any MB dealer, and with their certified Sprinter mechanics, the work would be just as good. A Freightliner dealer might also have a better line into the junkyard ecosystem where they could find exactly what's needed here. Given that MB has clearly decided any and all of the OP's potential future business with MB is not worth the trouble of helping them out with this, it's clearly time to pull the ripcord and get this expensive service work done at a Freightliner dealer instead.
Freightliner is part of Daimler, the Mercedes-Benz parent corporation as others have mentioned. They can do warranty work and can do Sprinter recalls, unless prohibited by the state law in some states. I have my Mercedes Sprinter Interstate serviced at a local Freightliner Sprinter dealer in Annapolis, Maryland. They replaced my airbags on recall last year. Their rates are less than local Mercedes dealers. Their mechanics have more Sprinter experience since Freightliner has been selling and servicing Sprinters since 2002. The shop I go to is not fancy as it is a truck and bus shop - no amenities like more Mercedes dealers, thus lower overhead. Only down side there may be even fewer Freightliner Sprinter shops than Mercedes Sprinter shops.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
That's good news, though my local Freightliner dealer told me directly that they could not address warranty or recall issues for my Sprinter. Maybe in my market the Freightliner and MB dealers are too close together, who knows.
Is your local Freightliner dealer a Sprinter shop? Not all Freightliner dealers sell or service Sprinters, just like not all Mercedes dealers sell and service Sprinters.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
IT'S COMPLICATED. Here we get down the rat-hole of inquiry as to deals that these business entities have worked out among themselves on a state-by-state basis, and all the unintended consequences that come with them. There's an internal term that they have defined - "red state" - which has nothing to do with politics (I think red means "stop" like a stop sign - as in, stop warranty work). That's the term they use to describe states in which only Mercedes can honor Mercedes warranties. In non-red states, there is reciprocation and cross-warranty honoring going on.

It's complicated and it leads to some bizarre outcomes. I had to get my Sprinter engine replaced at Freightliner because Mercedes could not obtain a reconditioned long block. Such a thing was outside of the bounds of what they had been authorized to do.

What?!

Yup. I researched it exhaustively. Mercedes was pinned to more restrictive options because of the policies that had been set between the corporate players. Freightliner had the liberty to think outside the box because they were not Mercedes. My engine came from Detroit Diesel via Freightliner. Detroit Diesel was an "approved" or "certified" source for Mercedes Sprinter engines, but Mercedes itself could not obtain them there.