Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 AI generator fail

Hello again!

Today as we were packing for a trip, we turned on the Onan generator to run the AC to get things cooled off. Everything was running fine until after 20 minutes, there was a brief burning smell coming from the rear outside of the vehicle and then the generator just stopped working. No noises or anything. Upon trying to recrank, the genset just made a higher pitched noise than usual and would not recrank.

Any ideas of what could be going on?
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm not sure, but we did have wasps build a nest up in ours once, which had to be cleaned out and a bit of screen put over to prevent it from happening again.

I'd find a service place, and have it looked at.

Cummins Crosspoint does mine.

Maggie
Old 06-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
Today as we were packing for a trip, we turned on the Onan generator to run the AC to get things cooled off. Everything was running fine until after 20 minutes, there was a brief burning smell coming from the rear outside of the vehicle and then the generator just stopped working. No noises or anything. Upon trying to recrank, the genset just made a higher pitched noise than usual and would not recrank.
If it ran for 20 minutes before giving up the ghost, low oil is a likely culprit. But that's hard to check (you've got to crawl underneath to do it) so check the easy things first.

The easiest thing to check is… does it have enough propane?
Old 06-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thanks! Propane sensor does read 3/4 full. I think it's a pretty accurate reading with how we have used the propane since the last fill up. We will check the oil! Logical.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:32 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

AI Generator

I didn't think the OE generator on the 2014 AI was enough to run the A/C?
camlivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
When in doubt, we always double-check the propane by lighting the stove. Our indicator gauge has never been reliable.

This next part for general reference only and standard disclaimers henceforth apply. You could kill yourself if you attempt the following and it's not done properly.

If you have to crawl under your vehicle, especially for the generator which is so low-slung to start with, you might want to use stackers and chocks. Jack up the rear end on stackers and chock the front wheels. And set the emergency brake.

We have a T1N, so we have single rear wheels, and I use fourteen Valterra stackers, seven staggered on each side, with wheel stoppers so I don't overrun them, which would be really bad particularly in view of how I'm using them. I've attached a sketch of my favorite stacker config. It's not the most conservative config because it necessitates some dead air, but as long as your force vector does not overrun the solid portion of the stack, it will work. This gives maximum safe height for minimum number of stackers carried onboard our Interstate. If not this, I'd have to carry more than 14 to achieve the same result and that is out of the question - I don't have the space.

Dual rear wheels may necessitate a different approach entirely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160623_STACKERS.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	463.4 KB
ID:	265006  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camlivy View Post
If it doesn't, we were told wrong. I bet we have run it at least 12 hours with the generator.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Could be the oil level, but if you are smelling burnt smell, (electrical) it could be the armature cooked or stator. Usually the armature. If not the oil level take it to a dealer. Hope it is under warranty.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by camlivy View Post

It should be enough as long as you don't run any other 120VAC items. I have run my A/C off the generator many times on my 2013 AI, which has the same setup as the 2014 models.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I just ran my generator all the way (2 1/2 days) to Florida w/ the A/C, two TVs, refrigerator, Xbox One, and bathroom exhaust fan on. I did turn the invertor off since the EMS did trip the A/C off once when it was about 95* outside. Probably could have made it on one tank but stopped and filled w/ eight gallons (holds about 12 when completely empty) since were close to a U-Haul and everyone gets real cranky in the back w/o A/C.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote