Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
I would pass on it too if I had a choice. Never used it to this day.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #22
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I had an awning unfurl on my Classic 28 near Raton, NM, in the worst crosswind gusts I have ever experienced. Only my ProPride hitch allowed me to keep going in that wind.

I never knew the awning was loose until I stopped for propane near the Texas/NM line. The fabric was wrapped up over the top of the trailer where I could not see it. It took four of us working together to pull out the awning arms and get the awning furled again. Great folks out there on the plains!

With the exception of a bit of chafing near the rear of the awning, there was no damage and I used that awning for another 5 years.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We do use our awning all the time. We added a second hook to our awning near the front after our I70 incident in high winds, and tightened up the spring a little. It hasn't happened since, but we won't tow in those high winds again either. That was insanity!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:47 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
This just happened to us in our new AI. If this has happened to you, how has Airstream responded to this as a warranty issue?

Unfortunately, ours was no longer under warranty at the time it happened so they didn't care too much. They said they would make a note of the incident.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
If I remember correctly, there was a service bulletin relating to the awning wiring about three years ago, and I believe it was to ensure the awning couldn't open with the engine running.
Memory is a bit hazy, but I found this thread on it:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ue-117617.html
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
While stowing our awning, just before it had fully retracted, a snap noise occurred and the awning shot out to a deployed position. It almost hit my wife in the side of her head. We were in Arkansas camping and we were securing our camp site because of tornado warnings for early evening. So we had a deployed, broken awning, and no way to retract it. Manual cranking attempts were only spooling the fabric up but would not pull the frame assembly back into the stowed position without the 2 of us manually pushing it back into place. Problem with that was we were standing precariously on plastic camp chairs. They were unsafe and too short but you improvise in situation like this. Well once the awning was pushed into stowed position there are no manual locks to hold it in place. The weather was degrading quickly so we had to abandon the idea of stowing it. In the deployed position we shortened the 'legs' to allow the awning to hang down as far as it could, then secured it for high winds. The winds and weather came, a tornado 4 miles away. The following morning we were helped by 2 good samaritans with ladders and lashing rope. We got it secured for our trip home. Once we got home, we took it into an RV shop and they removed the failed awning for repair. It turns out the the failure was a PLASTIC gear in the gear box failed. This failure also prevented it from locking into into a stowed position when we attempted to manually push it into place. PLASTIC GEAR BOX.....are you kidding me. WTF, it damn near hit my wife in the head. We now carry a telescoping ladder in our Stowaway so we can get on top of the vehicle. We also carry velcro strapping, lashing rope, large/long wire tie wraps, and of course duct tape. We have not deployed the awning since the event 2.5 years ago. "One bitten, twice shy" "Duck and Cover' come to mind.

Road Jager
I had almost the same thing happen to me just last week. Did you order the replacement part from Fiamma?
jgeurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:39 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

We took the awning out and decided not to replace. When I do, I will get a manual Fiamma
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
My Ram has no power windows, door locks, no cruise control. I've never had a problem with any of them! Sonetimes electronic cause more problems than one wants.
Good for you, but my manual awning unfurled too.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Good for you, but my manual awning unfurled too.
I've looked at ours, afraid of this possibility, but it's a Carefree Freedom III that has an all-aluminum clamshell-like cover. It's difficult for me to imagine how Murphy's Law could intervene here and cause that thing to come open, unless it was not properly seated before getting on the road. It kinda has to "snap" into final position as it is closing... it may LOOK like the aluminum clamshell is fully closed, but it has to be verified by listening for the "snap". FWIW.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Wingeezer said, "I do tend to wonder if the trend to more and more electric/electronic gadgets is a good thing! AS - and others - seem to be moving strongly in that direction, I suppose driven by consumer demand."

Several organizations doing QC surveys say that there are more complaints about auto/truck electronics than body fit/finish and performance. I'm of the opinion that this trend is not consumer driven, but pushed by manufacturers as electronics are real profit centers.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Currently Looking...
Brevard , North Carolina
There are reports of the awning not being 100% retracted and catching air at highway speeds and being torn off the vehicle. There is a high pitched warning buzzer mounted under the passenger seat (behind the awning control panel) that is very hard to hear and may be inaudible to those with high pitch hearing loss. It tells you when the awning is not fully retracted. You must immediately stop and re-retract the awning and make sure leaves or whatever are not obstructing it's proper return if the buzzer activates. If you have to put the awning up wet, it may loosen with shaking as you drive. If you are talking or listening to music, you probably won't hear it. I relocated this warning buzzer to a position just under the passenger seat, and can hear it fine now. About a 15 minute job. On another note, I feel seriously sad for folks who get an RV and are not mechanically inclined-these RV's are trying to destroy themselves every minute they exist . Lol
TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Greenville , South Carolina
wish I had only a manual awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennian View Post
had similar problem where awning would extend a little when slamming sliding door and once in my driveway with the van locked. i think the problem was incorrect alignment of the micro switch that engages when awning is fully retracted.
We had the same thing happen. Leaving on trip the next AM early. Deployed the awning to check it, and brought it back to rest position. as I finished packing and slid the door shut, the awning started to wind itself up, even though it was already wound. Would not stop initially but then did. I used duct tape as a precaution. This happened again the morning we headed home. I could not find the correct fuse, so borrowed a ladder from Advance auto, and wire cutters, and cut a wire to the sorry sucker. Wire was no problem to fix but parts were in the hundreds.
2forhighways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Well, I believe that I fixed the problem (the same problem that RoadJager had), but I don't know what I did. I took the mechanism apart and reassembled it and it works fine now. I expected to find bad tines on the plastic gear, but they were all intact. There is an adjustment that may have worked loose, and perhaps I just took the play out when I re-assembled. I am tying up the awning anyway whenever on the road.
jgeurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ormond Beach , Florida
Asked Airstream for maintenance video

Airstream has been making YouTube Videos about the AI. I sent this note:
Jon

As I read the users manual I read in the section about the awning:

1. PERIODIC MAINTENANCE Like any other part
of the touring coach, an owner should periodically
inspect the awning. The following items should be
checked.
a. All mounting brackets are tight.
b. Check all pivot points for enlargements of
holes or broken rivets.
c. Check end caps for cracking and splitting.
d. Check that awning rail is tight against coach
and all screws are tight.
e. Check canopy for loose stitching and possible
shrinkage or puckering.
f. Clean and lubricate all tension knobs and pivot
A video of this would be very helpful in your series.

Hank
hmason72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:04 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Awning is junk

[QUOTE=Blackpearl;1895961]Today our automatic awning extended out while driving on hwy without warning. Light damage to awning and vehicle, but horrifying experience. Called airstream and they are quite baffled. They did ask us to remove fuses 10 and 12. If anyone has had a similar experience or knowledge in what could have happened, please share.[/QUOT

Airstream should know there are serious problems with this awning. It is unreliable and the manufacturer's service is terrible. For safety the awning needs to be totall cut off from electrical power. It appears that it is wired with the sliding step for some goody reason.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:29 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Sorry for the long response on this, but we had the awning removed for warranty repairs at a local RV service shop. Since having it repaired my wife and I are very skeptical to ever use it again. It is not worth the danger or damage to the vehicle.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:38 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Can the fuses to the power awning be pulled so as to totally remove chance of awning opening? Would power step be affected?
Old 08-31-2017, 02:18 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
New York , New York
I'm glad you're all ok! I've had quite a lot of trouble with the awning on my 2014.5 Interstate to the point where it's currently strapped securely down and I am not sure I'll replace it, and if I do, I won't go motorized. Mine shot out a few times on it's own, only not while driving, although once while parked on a suburban street, it almost took my head off and hit a tree branch, became stuck in the out position, rendering the van stuck. This was just one instance of it becoming stuck out, I believe this last time the mechanic said the plastic gear was stripped and possibly shorted out the motor.
sukismith64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #39

Lakewood , Colorado
We have a 2015 Interstate. When parked, I have tried on multiple occasions to deploy the awning. Works smoothly until the very lightest breeze blows by and the automatic retract engages and the awning goes back in its storage case. I have given up trying to enjoy it because it seems to be so sensitive to a light breeze that we have never had it stay out more than 10 minutes. Anybody have a suggestion?
Randy Updike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:36 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Auburn , Georgia
You can pull fuse #10 under the drivers seat that cuts power to the step and awning. The awning would be susceptible to a strong wind and possible damage. In this case it would be wise to not leave it out unattended. I got two 8' expanding brush poles and added a 1/4" alum. pin at the top. The pin fits in the holes already in the end of the awning. The other end of the pole has a loop for hanging and I use a tent stake to secure it in the ground.
The awning is intended as a sun shade only and not a rain shelter. With the poles attached it counld take a light shower but the fabric on mine tends to sag in rhe middle and collect water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180726_044623.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	318062  
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote