Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
2014.5 chairs

Anyone have a problem with their AI captains chairs seat backs? Mine keep popping off when I or bump into them... Feels like a flimsy construction if you ask me. Is there a way to keep them on or should I take it into the dealer?

-----
Airstream Interstate Facebook group
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1399633380341777

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Do you mean the second row captain's chairs? The front row are standard Mercedes Sprinter seats and shouldn't fall apart. The second row are cheap copies and I've had issues with mine, fixed under warranty.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
It's the front ones with the problem

Driver side
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1431118671.572589.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	238028

Passenger side.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1431118752.460912.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	238029

-----
Airstream Interstate Facebook group
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1399633380341777

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Lift the little skirt below the map pocket. Is there a screw in the middle of the seat back, about 1" up from the bottom? Bet not. There is supposed to be. You'll see the hole in the frame that it is supposed to screw into. Get the seat back in the right position (making sure the upper 'hooks' are engaged). Install a screw. Problem solved.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Do you mean the second row captain's chairs? The front row are standard Mercedes Sprinter seats and shouldn't fall apart. The second row are cheap copies and I've had issues with mine, fixed under warranty.

My second row seats are awesome and very comfortable, except for the fold down arm rests. They are way too high, and non-adjustable. I'm just about 6’ tall, and can't use them. If I rest my arms on them, my shoulders get pushed up to my ears. Not sure what they were thinking when they designed them that way.

2012 Interstate EXT
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylorsan View Post
My second row seats are awesome and very comfortable, except for the fold down arm rests. They are way too high, and non-adjustable. I'm just about 6’ tall, and can't use them. If I rest my arms on them, my shoulders get pushed up to my ears. Not sure what they were thinking when they designed them that way.
2012 Interstate EXT

On my second row seat (I have just one) the covering was starting to come apart around the seat belt slot. And the arms (not adjustable as you pointed out) were never level, they always rested on the seat cushion. They didn't manage to fix that and it's not too comfortable with sloping arms!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 05-11-2015, 07:02 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
On my second row seat (I have just one) the covering was starting to come apart around the seat belt slot. And the arms (not adjustable as you pointed out) were never level, they always rested on the seat cushion. They didn't manage to fix that and it's not too comfortable with sloping arms!

You can actually adjust the slope of the arms on the second row seats. On my 2014 AI, the curb side second row seat had arms that sloped upwards at an uncomfortable angle. The covering on the arms have a zipper on the underside towards the pivot point of the arm. I was unable to unzip the cover and peel it back to reveal the pivot and the adjusting screw. A couple of turns and I had the arm right where I wanted it.

Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwils25 View Post
You can actually adjust the slope of the arms on the second row seats. On my 2014 AI, the curb side second row seat had arms that sloped upwards at an uncomfortable angle. The covering on the arms have a zipper on the underside towards the pivot point of the arm. I was unable to unzip the cover and peel it back to reveal the pivot and the adjusting screw. A couple of turns and I had the arm right where I wanted it.

Humm, I don't see any zipper on mine. I can feel something like a seam on the arm between the arm and the side of the seat close to the pivot, but it's on there so tight up against the side of the seat there's not enough room to do anything with it.
I had asked the dealership about the arms and was told they're not adjustable.