Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
2014.5 Airstream Service Bulletin #146

recently read about this , which upgrades in- house electrical system and replaces house batteries... Does anyone know anything about this ??
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
By any chance would it be SB 164. If so here's what I found.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
If you're referring to SB 164, I had it installed and now wish I hadn't. And as an aside, it probably led to the demise of my batteries. You should only install it if you regularly park your Interstate with no shore power or solar charging available.
When hooking up to shore power, or when driving, or when using solar to charge up your coach batteries, you now need to ensure the battery connect switch by the door is enabled, otherwise no charging will occur. And I think my dealer didn't appreciate that fact and let the batteries discharge.
So think about how it will affect your usage before having it installed!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Monroe , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
If you're referring to SB 164, I had it installed and now wish I hadn't.
See my post about this service bulletin. I think that you are correct that hooking up to 110V power, the Magnum Charger/Inverter will no longer operate (charge batteries) unless the battery disconnect switch is turned to “ON”. That’s how it always should have worked. From my owner’s manual, page H-11, “When you’re plugged into shoreline power or running the generator, with the battery disconnect turned to “ON” the inverter/charger charges the battery and carries much of the load.”

If your dealer wrecked your battery by forgetting to move the battery disconnect switch to “ON”, that’s on him.

The relay added by SB-164 should have no effect on charging from the alternator while driving or charging from solar. If your van is failing to charge from solar or while driving after adding SB-164, then the service was performed incorrectly and you might want to go back and have it fixed.

I’ve posted more details in the other thread about exactly what SB-164 does.
coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
The relay added by SB-164 should have no effect on charging from the alternator while driving or charging from solar. If your van is failing to charge from solar or while driving after adding SB-164, then the service was performed incorrectly and you might want to go back and have it fixed.
You're right there. Done some further testing and I agree the disconnect switch enabled only prevents charging through the Magnum.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote