Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2022, 02:25 PM   #1
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
2010 Interstate Wiring Diagram? Hooked Up to Mis-Wired Shore Power

I'm looking for a wiring diagram for a 2010 Interstate, twin bed model. We are the fourth owner of the Interstate - we have what I believe to be all the documents provided with the van at time of sale but there are no wiring diagrams.

Now on the incident that precipitated the problem and my desire for a wiring diagram...

We recently moved into a new house (built for us) and I plugged into the 30A receptacle in the garage. I did not check the receptacle prior to connecting to shore power - shame on me. The receptacle is mis-wired and has 125V on both the line and neutral legs. I immediately realized something was amiss and disconnected the cable but damage has been done. Now I'm attempting to determine the extent of the damage.

As an aside, the same electrical contractor installed a temporary 30A receptacle that we used during construction and everything was fine.

It appears no wires are melted/fused but it's not obvious to me what may have occurred with voltage applied to both line and neutral. I plan to manually connect (one by one) to appliances to see if they function - refrigerator, microwave, TV, A/C, etc.

Then I'll be investigating the transfer switch, circuit breaker panel, in-line fuses, etc.

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:00 PM   #2
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I'm looking for a wiring diagram for a 2010 Interstate, twin bed model. We are the fourth owner of the Interstate - we have what I believe to be all the documents provided with the van at time of sale but there are no wiring diagrams.

Now on the incident that precipitated the problem and my desire for a wiring diagram...

We recently moved into a new house (built for us) and I plugged into the 30A receptacle in the garage. I did not check the receptacle prior to connecting to shore power - shame on me. The receptacle is mis-wired and has 125V on both the line and neutral legs. I immediately realized something was amiss and disconnected the cable but damage has been done. Now I'm attempting to determine the extent of the damage.

As an aside, the same electrical contractor installed a temporary 30A receptacle that we used during construction and everything was fine.

It appears no wires are melted/fused but it's not obvious to me what may have occurred with voltage applied to both line and neutral. I plan to manually connect (one by one) to appliances to see if they function - refrigerator, microwave, TV, A/C, etc.

Then I'll be investigating the transfer switch, circuit breaker panel, in-line fuses, etc.

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated.
Connecting to 240V will not damage any of your wiring, it will only affect connected loads like the converter and anything else that was plugged in or connected. Start with the converter after resetting any breakers and replacing any fuses that may have blown. Things with electronics will be susceptible to damage, possibly your control center, AC board, Televisions etc. The actual wires themselves don't know the difference and won't be damaged. You won't need a diagram even if one existed because the damage will be to accessible components, not hidden in walls.
You may get lucky and have little to no damage. Some things, like televisions, might have their power supply smoked but if you're handy a power supply can be replaced.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Here is a 110V AC wiring diagram I got from Airstream. It is for a Lounge model but should be basically the same.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2013 110 953059S1 Rev D Model (1).pdf (120.6 KB, 5 views)
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 07:11 AM   #4
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Here is a 110V AC wiring diagram I got from Airstream. It is for a Lounge model but should be basically the same.
Thank you. I received a wiring diagram for our 2010 from Airstream late yesterday afternoon. I requested the diagram earlier in the day - kudos to Airstream for a quick reply.

As mentioned by ITSNO60, I don't see any damaged wires but I'm not seeing 120V inside the van at the electrical outlets. The circuit breakers are working as a far as I can tell using a continuity tester.

The first electrical device in the AC circuit is the Parallax transfer switch. I performed a visual inspection and don't see any obvious problems with the switch. I called Parallax and they don't believe there would be any issues with the switch. The switch is in a normally closed position to pass shore power to the circuit breakers. I'm going to remove the switch from the circuit to see what happens.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2010 Interstate Electrical Schematics.pdf (4.13 MB, 3 views)
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 11-30-2022, 07:59 AM   #5
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:

The first electrical device in the AC circuit is the Parallax transfer switch. I performed a visual inspection and don't see any obvious problems with the switch. I called Parallax and they don't believe there would be any issues with the switch. The switch is in a normally closed position to pass shore power to the circuit breakers. I'm going to remove the switch from the circuit to see what happens.
Any way you can just meter the incoming lugs and the outgoing lugs see if power reaches the switch then passes through it? On the bright side if the switch failed before letting power through it could have save your other stuff.
PS: No EMS?

edit: looks like your EMS is after the transfer switch so likely you are on the right path.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:31 AM   #6
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
It also looks as though your EMS only monitors current for load shedding but does not analyze for incorrect supply voltage, is that correct?
Old 11-30-2022, 08:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The EMS should have protected the rest of the coach...I say should have, if your model monitors and takes action to disconnect on high voltages (usually above 130V).

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:09 AM   #8
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
The EMS should have protected the rest of the coach...I say should have, if your model monitors and takes action to disconnect on high voltages (usually above 130V).
Looking at the diagram the hot only passes thru a CT and the neutral comes straight thru to the neutral bus, if this is the case his EMS is only for load shedding and cannot detect wiring errors or high/low voltage.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Looking at the diagram the hot only passes thru a CT and the neutral comes straight thru to the neutral bus, if this is the case his EMS is only for load shedding and cannot detect wiring errors or high voltage.
I have always wondered about that EMS detail. In their write-ups (I haven't researched all brands and models) they don't give the level of detail as to their internal circuitry and logic whether they monitor voltages on the neutral leg. And their "features" write-ups don't say that either. But it would certainly be good info to know when shopping, as this type of mis-wiring is all too common.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Thank you. I received a wiring diagram for our 2010 from Airstream late yesterday afternoon. I requested the diagram earlier in the day - kudos to Airstream for a quick reply.

As mentioned by ITSNO60, I don't see any damaged wires but I'm not seeing 120V inside the van at the electrical outlets. The circuit breakers are working as a far as I can tell using a continuity tester.

Thanks for the follow up. Good to know that Airstream is finally being more open to providing wiring diagrams. Before they started including them in about 2015 it was always difficult to get them to release wiring diagrams.
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:36 AM   #11
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Thanks for the follow up. Good to know that Airstream is finally being more open to providing wiring diagrams. Before they started including them in about 2015 it was always difficult to get them to release wiring diagrams.
They used to be included in the owner's manual.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:17 PM   #12
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
I was measuring very low AC voltage inside the van at the transfer switch and circuit breakers.

Further investigation revealed ever-so-slightly-loose connections at the bulkhead connector for the shore power cord. After tightening the three contacts I now measure 120VAC at the wall receptacle, at the bulkhead connector, at the transfer switch, circuit breaker panel in the van and at the inverter/charger. There is very little voltage drop in the system now.

I think the contacts in the bulkhead connector have been loosening over time and the recent events exacerbated the issue perhaps. This was a rabbit hole of sorts as it confused the troubleshooting I was performing.

With full voltage now available I began turning things on one by one. The microwave, refrigerator (12V), AC receptacles and air conditioner work. All the 12V systems appear to be working.

There are two outlets (or more) that are powered via the inverter - for the television and one behind the driver's seat. I think there's another but can't recall right now. Flipping the breaker to activate the inverter/charger was an EVENT! Buzzing, popping, smoke! So the Tripp-Lite inverter has failed. I suspected this would be the case as I'd spoken to Tripp-Lite earlier in the week and they indicated their unit would not take kindly to 120V on both the line and neutral lines.

I'm purchasing a replacement Magnum MMS-1012 inverter/charger and ME-RC controller from forum member Lewster and I'm purchasing a few other related items from online retailers. Hopefully all the replacement parts will arrive early next week and I can get the van back on the road again.

on edit: added Magnum model #
Old 12-01-2022, 03:23 PM   #13
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Sounds like you were fairly lucky, and on the bright side you probably won't ever do that again.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:33 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Agree with ITSN060 on the extent of the damage. It also makes sense that the inverter got the brunt of it as with other regular AC/Converter combo distributional panels, the converter is what gets toasted most of the time when this happens.

Glad to hear that it wasn’t that bad and the inverter install shouldn’t be too bad of a task.

Yup, that Airstream installed EMS at least on the Interstates is a hall monitor that sheds loads and not the conventional surge guard protector type.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote