Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2021, 10:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Palmyra , Pennsylvania
2005 Interstate 22 Mid bath access to BD0 relay to replace fuse

How do I access the Intellitec BD0 relay to replace the fuses?

The relay is located under the clothes closet, next to the driver side bench seat. Can it be reached by removing the outside utility shower, then reach through the opening? So far, the only sure way I'm aware of is to remove most or all of the bench seat assembly- that would be a total PITA (I've done it before for other maintenance work).
jonathanwesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Is there any way you could post a pic of your configuration? External view.

"Mid-bath" 2005 model should not require removal of a bench seat to access anything, or else I am confused. Or else yours was built differently than many others.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Palmyra , Pennsylvania
2005 AI 22 Rear Sleeper Floor Plan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 Airstream Interstate IRS (Interstate Rear Sleeper) 22 Class B Motorhome RV.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	404104  
Old 09-15-2021, 01:48 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Palmyra , Pennsylvania
What Airstreams CSR told me:

[Airstream] Re: 2004 Interstate

Inbox

Blaine Dahl (Airstream)
1:10 PM (2 hours ago)##- Please type your reply above this line -## Your request (109481) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email. Blaine Dahl (Airstream)

A. Nomus
3:10 PM (35 minutes ago)Blaine, Thanks for telling me "We don't have any records showing any access panel for the relay." So, how are we supposed to access the relay to service it?

Blaine Dahl (Airstream) <support@airstreamsupport.zendesk.com>

3:25 PM (20 minutes ago)

to me

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Your request (109481) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Blaine Dahl (Airstream)
Sep 15, 2021, 3:25 PM EDT
Jonathan,

The disassembly that mentioned would be the next step.

Jonathan Weschler
Sep 15, 2021, 3:11 PM EDT
Blaine,

Thanks for telling me "We don't have any records showing any access panel for the relay."

So, how are we supposed to access the relay to service it?

Blaine Dahl (Airstream)
Sep 15, 2021, 1:10 PM EDT
Hey Jonathan,

Thanks for reaching out to Airstream Customer Support.
We don't have any records showing any access panel for the relay.

A. Nomus

3:43 PM (2 minutes ago)

to Airstream

Blaine,

" The disassembly that mentioned would be the next step." Did you mean ' The disassembly of the driver side rear sleeper (next to the wardrobe closet) that I mentioned' would be the next step.

What about removing the utility shower to reach the relay? Is that a workaround other RV service persons have been using?
Old 09-15-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Palmyra , Pennsylvania
How to get your hands on the coach battery disconnect latch relay

1. Remove 4 bolts under the driver side Sleeper (under the bench seat- 2 bolts each end). Loosen or remove 1 or both screws holding the relay to the inner RV wall. Tilt the relay counter clockwise to remove and inspect both 10 amp fuses.

1.a. If you need or want more working space, remove the 10-12 wood screws holding down the upper stowage shelf (where the center aisle/2 post leg table gets stored). 1.b. Remove the stowage shelf.

1c. If you need or want even more working space, start disassembling the Sleeper completely.

Following Intellitec's BD0 diagnostic, the 10 amp fuses were OK (step 1). Next, checked coach battery voltage (step 3). The relay solenoid latching threshold is 10.5 vdc. Anything less will not be enough to actuate the solenoid. Below 10.5 vdc, the relay won't open and the coach battery remains connected. My vdc was below threshold, so next step is to re-charge the coach battery above 10.5 vdc. Hopefully that will fix the problem. If not, there are around 20 more diagnostic steps to go through.

I tried removing the Utility Shower and gave up because I wasn't sure how the plumbing was connected and the caulk or adhesive holding the shower insert seemed to require more force to separate then I felt comfortable applying. If anybody removed the Utility Shower, I'd appreciate directions on how to do it and whether or not they could effectively access the disconnect latch relay.

Shame on Airstream for designing the battery disconnect system with a latch relay with 2 10 amp fuses in a very difficult location to access and service. Every other fuse I know of in the AI IRS is almost directly accessible through a port opening and/or hatch cover. Airstream service folks must love all the extra time required to service the disconnect relay due to either POS design and/or POS marketing management, who are always rushing design / production to get their products to market ASAP.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I am not certain, but I was thinking that was under the closet floor, behind the power for charger/fuses unit.
I took the floor of the closet out to do wiring- it wasn’t too bad. The trim piece in the back right corner has to come out so you can lift the floor.
I think it would give a lot better access than removing the jacknife sofa.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:38 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Palmyra , Pennsylvania
Remove Wardrobe floor to access latch relay

Definitely would give better access. When I eyeballed it, it looked like at least 6 woods crews need to come out vertically from the floor. How many screws to remove to pull out the corner piece? Was it glued and screwed? Did the Wardrobe door also have to be removed to allow enough clearance to pull the floor through?

Appreciate hearing from someone with firsthand experience.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I don't remember any fuses under the closet. That is why I had asked about layout. I know what the layout looks like in plan view - I was just wondering whether something different had been done to your rig specifically.

At any rate, that space beneath the closet floor is very valuable if any electrical mods are ever going to be done. We modified the closet so that we could both pull up the floor, and pull off the closet front facing. For us, that panel now attaches with neodym magnets rather than screws, plus I added a ventilation panel. You can see pics of those mods here.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote