Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #1

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Niantic , Connecticut
20 amp gfci keeps tripping

Is it time to replace the constantly tripping gfci on the 2015 AI GT Ext?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA721A8B-AC97-4CED-9376-02CE08AE54F2.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	362443  
Over_Landers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over_Landers View Post
A LOT more info is needed. You tell us nothing of the nature of why it is tripping.....plugged in, anything attached to it, over drawing it.....yeah.....things like that.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over_Landers View Post
Yes. It's just a Siemens breaker that's available at retail... I bought my replacement either from Lowe's or Home Depot (I looked online and found which one had a suitable replacement in stock.) It's been a year or so since and I haven't had the new breaker trip (mine is in a trailer, not an interstate, but from the photo it's the same breaker.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
could be the breaker/GFCI but it could also be a real ground fault or high current. Does it trip with nothing connected? Does it only trip in use but it trip regardless of what is connected? Are you using more than 2200-2400 watts (~20A)?

You could replace it to see if that fixes the issue or you can become an electrical sleuth and determine the root cause first. Your call.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
A LOT more info is needed. You tell us nothing of the nature of why it is tripping.....plugged in, anything attached to it, over drawing it.....yeah.....things like that.
Those Siemens GFCI breakers are hit-or-miss. There are simply some junk ones that give up the ghost early in their life. I had a bad one, I wasted several hours trying to find what was tripping it and I finally eliminated other possibilities and decided it was a bad breaker, replaced it, haven't had it trip once in 60+ nights of camping since then.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Those Siemens GFCI breakers are hit-or-miss. There are simply some junk ones that give up the ghost early in their life. I had a bad one, I wasted several hours trying to find what was tripping it and I finally eliminated other possibilities and decided it was a bad breaker, replaced it, haven't had it trip once in 60+ nights of camping since then.
Understood and makes sense, but still, it would be useful to know what conditions it was under when it trips. I agreed, not all GFCI breakers are created equal, but it would be helpful to know the conditions where when it trips.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Buford , Georgia
Do you have another GFI in the circuit downstream from it? Multiple GFI's that are on the same circuit tend to fight each other and could cause it to trip. But as others have said, what are the conditions that makes it trip?
strangepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Possible sources of tripping other than a bad breaker:
1 - Water or corrosion in the exterior outlets (that GFCI breaker controls outside outlets).
2 - Water leak in the galley (that GFCI controls fridge 120vAC outlet, which could get wet from a leak)
3 - Too much stuff running on the circuit (a GFCI is still a breaker and can trip from overload as well as from ground fault)
4 - As Strangepod noted, a second GFCI plugged into the same circuit can cause tripping; the one furthest upstream tends to trip because it reads the downstream GFCI as a fault.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Every GFI circuit I have ever had experience with has failed. They are another safety item that is more trouble than it is worth.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Good GFI's properly installed will run for many decades without failing. If you happen to live on the top of a hill and get hit by lightning a lot ... maybe not so much.

They don't cost much (compared to your MH). Swapping one out may or may not fix the problem. If it doesn't then you wasted the drive to Lowes

A good flooding of any outlets that might have water in the vicinity with silicone spray is generally a lower cost "first step".

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Every GFI circuit I have ever had experience with has failed. They are another safety item that is more trouble than it is worth.
I would much rather have a GFCI that trips when it shouldn't than one that doesn't trip when it should (or a circuit that should have GFCI but doesn't). Electrocution is not a pleasant experience, and the main reason for installing GFCI is to make sure one's own body doesn't become the path to ground.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #12

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Niantic , Connecticut
Only trips when on shore power and nothing plugged into AC outlets and USB ports forward and aft (don’t think it’s a load issue). Getting power to both TVs in the tripped condition? There is some h2o on the head/shower-floor. Will pull the panel under sink and explore some more. Thx all for the prompt replies!
Over_Landers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Yeah so the GFI circuit is only live with shore power and it is an active device so it will only trip powered up. the Tv's and whatnot are on different circuits.

So While tripped and nothing connected elsewhere, go to a GFIC protected wall socket and measure resistance from the hot side to the ground plug. It should be completely open (near infinite resistance). If it is, then the breaker is bad and needs replacement. If it is not, ensure again nothing is connected to the GFIC circuit (check your manual in my trailer it is only the sockets. Now pull the breaker and test again, if now good the breaker is bad. If you still have low resistance, use the spray trick on the sockets, especially the outside ones.

Let us know what you find.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:30 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Buford , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post

I would disagree and yes I would admit that on a rare occasion GFI's can be a small pain, but let me tell you a story.
About 10 years ago we had (and still do) several large aquariums set up in the house and was my rule to have a GFI on every tank. Well one night I was awoken at 2am by odor of an 'electrical smell', after much looking around the house I noticed an outlet strip that was burned and melted by a very small leak from the tank area, the only thing that saved my but and house was that GFI that tripped and did it's job.

John
strangepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
correction, the refrigerator is plugged in from the outside and is on that circuit so be sure to unplug it first and then reset the breaker. It is possible the refrig is the issue