Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2022, 08:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
1 year later in my 2021 AI GT (mods and lessons learned)

So, after having my Interstate for a year, I thought I’d post a list of all the modifications I did to either 1) correct factory shortcomings such as the weak drawer latches and incorrect lithium settings and hardware, and 2) make the RV more functional and enjoyable.

My list is in order as I did them. I’ve asterisked the items I think are necessary or highly recommended for any new AI owners. Details for many of these items can be found in other posts from me, or others that I borrowed the ideas from (the "Interstate Mods" thread is a great place to start for new owners).

1. * Replaced 3lb. drawer latches with 10 lb. (10#) to stop the drawers sliding open during turns (On the drive home from the dealer, even with the drawers empty they were sliding out. Very disappointed)
  2. Systematically attacked the squeaks and soundproofed the rig as much as possible
  3. Re-programmed inverter for Lithium charge settings (this is well documented in this forum but the early AIs with the Lithium packaged did not come with the right Magnum lithium compatible charger)
  4. Installed hood bug deflector and window wind deflectors
  5. Replaced OEM horns with Hella super tone horns b133 (to get rid of the “meep meep”)
  6. * Installed cab curtains (Those magnetic front cab window shields were a pain. I much prefer the cab curtains, especially if I’m pulling over to a rest areas for a quick nap. it’s 30 seconds instead of 6 minutes)
  7. Tinted front windows
  8. Purchased and added teak floor for shower
  9. * Installed internal LPG switch
  10. Hardwired radar detector and dashcam
  11. Installed WeBoost Drive RV (cell phone signal booster)
  12. Mounted and hardwired 2 Streamlight rechargeable flashlights (one in front, one in back)
  13. Added Echo bluetooth brake controller for towing my trailer
  14. * Installed DT Pedal Box (I recommend this if you are not satisfied with the acceleration delay in stop and go traffic)
  15. Added RennTech ECU tune
  16. * Added Victron SmartConnect Shunt 500Ah (A necessity for proper battery management)
  17. Upgraded OEM inverter to Magnum MSH3012RV-L Hybrid (3000 watt) so I can run the A/C or Microwave for a short period off the batteries. And also because the factory inverter was not lithium compatible.
  18. Added 2 more BattleBorn batteries (400 Ah total)
  19. * Added EasyStart for A/C
  20. Added FireFly Vegatouch Mira Bluetooth module (extends the panel touchscreen controls to my phone)
  21. Added Dually valve stems for easier access to adjusting air, and for adding TPMS (See below)
  22. * Added TST 507 Tire Pressure Monitoring System (if yours did not come with TPMS, you should add it)
  23. Replaced rear LG TV 24" with Smart LG TV 24” (so I scan stream movies, etc.)
  24. Added Bose Bluetooth Soundbar to rear (I installed this under the LG TV. Also nice for playing music through the back screen doors, or easy to remove and plug into the external 110V outlet while sitting outdoors.)
  25. Replaced OEM lug nuts and chrome covers with Alcoa dually lug nuts from Amazon. If you rotate your own tires like I do, getting rid of those covers definitely saves time and frustration.

Next on the list:
  1. Alarm, maybe with remote start
  2. Fresh water tank quick drain

With the above done, hopefully I can get back to restoring my project cars!
WeekendBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:20 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Noblesville , Indiana
good update: similar, but some of mine:

Added Amazon Firestick to allow streaming on both TVs (Lounge)
Installed iPad for navigation, I use Waze exclusively.
Replace factory tires with Michelin Agilis (massively quieter)
Bought 4" California Queen mattress.

I would like to see your curtain installation for the front.
vanderwielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:52 AM   #3
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Oohh my wife is going to be mad I read this post! I have 3 questions:

1. How hard is it to install the smart shunt? I hate trying to monitor SoC of lithium batteries with stupid voltmeter on touch panel. I’m not terribly handy, but if it’s just opening a panel and plugging something in, I’m up for that.

2. Where did you put the two additional battleborns? Did you install yourself?

3. What has been your experience with the Vega module to control system from your phone. Read report from someone else who installed that saying it was very buggy and seldom worked.

Thanks!
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 11:22 AM   #4
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Also, where/how did you purchase the Vegatouch Mira module? I looked on their website and searched the web and couldn’t find any way to purchase online. Did you order over the phone? Thanks.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
Oohh my wife is going to be mad I read this post! I have 3 questions:

1. How hard is it to install the smart shunt? I hate trying to monitor SoC of lithium batteries with stupid voltmeter on touch panel. I’m not terribly handy, but if it’s just opening a panel and plugging something in, I’m up for that.

2. Where did you put the two additional battleborns? Did you install yourself?

3. What has been your experience with the Vega module to control system from your phone. Read report from someone else who installed that saying it was very buggy and seldom worked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
Also, where/how did you purchase the Vegatouch Mira module? I looked on their website and searched the web and couldn’t find any way to purchase online. Did you order over the phone? Thanks.

Here's a link to my inverter / battery / smartshunt install. Definitely not a plug and play task but if a SmartShunt is all you're after, a dealership could easily add one.

On the Vega Module, I've been extremely pleased with it and had no issues. Here's a link to that install. This is something you could do yourself (plug and play), but no, you cannot order online, you have to give them a call.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:21 PM   #6
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Thanks. Unfortunately can’t get that link to work.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:53 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendBob View Post
Here's a link to my inverter / battery / smartshunt install. Definitely not a plug and play task but if a SmartShunt is all you're after, a dealership could easily add one.

On the Vega Module, I've been extremely pleased with it and had no issues. Here's a link. This is something you could do yourself (plug and play), but no, you cannot order online, you have to give them a call.

Sorry, here's the correct links: Magnum inverter / Battery / Smartshunt install

Vegatouch Mira Module install

Vanderwielen, I'll try to get you a picture this weekend.
Old 01-29-2022, 02:59 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderwielen View Post
I would like to see your curtain installation for the front.
Here are the cab curtains I bought from OMAC USA. You'll note on their website they weren't designed for the "Tall" Sprinters like we have, but I was able to bend the channels to fit the contour of our roof. The curtains themselves are not full blackout, but I find them sufficient enough and they are easy to tuck away behind the drivers seat.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:03 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Western , Tennessee
"Replaced OEM lug nuts and chrome covers with Alcoa dually lug nuts from Amazon. If you rotate your own tires like I do, getting rid of those covers definitely saves time and frustration."

Would you provide more info. Possibly a link. I have looked for these for over a year.
TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:51 PM   #10
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Princess View Post
"Replaced OEM lug nuts and chrome covers with Alcoa dually lug nuts from Amazon. If you rotate your own tires like I do, getting rid of those covers definitely saves time and frustration."

Would you provide more info. Possibly a link. I have looked for these for over a year.
Would love the same. I despise those foolish lug nut covers.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:07 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Princess View Post

Two options I found:

1) Here's a link on Amazon to the lug nuts I purchased.
Note that there are a few reviews commenting on the quality of the chrome and that they may show signs of rust and pitting over time.

2) A more expensive / possibly higher quality alternative appears to be Gorilla lug nuts, #22148N, but I couldn’t find them in stock anywhere. I had previously placed an order for some from SFX performance but canceled after 3 months of waiting and ended up going with #1 above.

Some pics of them on my wheels:

Old 01-31-2022, 01:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
It does appear that the diameter of the washer of the chrome lug nuts listed on Amazon is less than that of the stock lug nuts. I assume that too small of diameter is bad, but am not sure how small is too small. But to be safe I'd go with a washer diameter that matches that of the stock lug nuts.

I was surprised about one negative comment that the washers don't spin freely. It has been a while since I removed my lug nuts, and I can't remember if the stock washer spins freely or not. If it does spin initially it seems hard to think that it would still spin as you reach the required torque.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:08 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
It does appear that the diameter of the washer of the chrome lug nuts listed on Amazon is less than that of the stock lug nuts. I assume that too small of diameter is bad, but am not sure how small is too small. But to be safe I'd go with a washer diameter that matches that of the stock lug nuts.

I was surprised about one negative comment that the washers don't spin freely. It has been a while since I removed my lug nuts, and I can't remember if the stock washer spins freely or not. If it does spin initially it seems hard to think that it would still spin as you reach the required torque.
I've no idea what you're basing that on but the Amazon lug nut washers are actually bigger. And yes, they both spin freely until they are tightened.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4625b.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	411354Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4623a.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	411353
Old 02-01-2022, 02:23 PM   #14
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
That same review complained bitterly about these lug nuts quickly rusting. Hoping that's not the case, and look forward to some follow up in a month or two.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 01:54 AM   #15

2022 Interstate 24GT
Lafayette , California
Is there good instructions or recommendations for Internal LPG Switch?
Coream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 08:16 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Western , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coream View Post
Is there good instructions or recommendations for Internal LPG Switch?
This is an older post, has several suggestions on location. Discusses several pro and cons on where and how to connect wires.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ch-182768.html
TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 08:34 AM   #17
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Weekend Bob how are those Amazon lug nuts holding up?
I have the same Alcoas and the dually valve stems that you have and if you have ever removed and re-installed one of the outside rears you will know what a pain it is to re-install as it is not possible to install the rubber stabilizer afterwards, it must be installed into the wheel first and guided onto the long valve stem from behind as you place the wheel onto the lugs. This is difficult in the garage let alone alongside the road and you can easily bend the valve stem out of place and cause it to leak, ask me how I know.
I came up with a solution for this problem, a 5" PVC coupling cut in half and wedged onto the axle hub with wood shims at the top so that the top part of the PVC is the highest point bringing it even with the outer top diameter of the part of the axle hub that centers the wheel. This allows you to easily guide the long valve stem into the stabilizer as you slide the wheel onto the studs as you are not trying to lift and support the wheel and tire at the same time. A 5" PVC coupling just happens to be the perfect diameter (both inside and outside) and thickness for this to work. I keep it in my side compartment just in case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230117_111553.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	506.6 KB
ID:	427371   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230117_111537.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	427372  

Old 01-30-2024, 02:06 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
@weekendbob
Checking in on 2023 updates or planned 2024 ideas

How about firefly working well?
Lastly did inverter cause you to want to rewrite ac circuits since now you have power to make full use of outlets with out shore power ?
3OnOurWay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 02:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3OnOurWay View Post
@weekendbob

Lastly did inverter cause you to want to rewrite ac circuits since now you have power to make full use of outlets with out shore power ?
This is the one question that always has me scratching my head on both the motorhome and travel trailer sides. If you’re spending the money on a 2-3k watt inverter, why not tie it into your electrical system so that you can run everything or a lot more appliances? This is like being half pregnant. Take advantage of all the power that your inverter has to offer and even better if you have a hybrid inverter that can produce additional wattage with the proper wiring. If you’re going to install these, you might as well go with the proper gauge wire to take advantage of the benefits of a bigger inverter and their boost functions or have the wiring in place to for future upgrades. Ok - rant off. WeekendBob great upgrades but I wouldn’t install an alarm in an RV. Can you imagine that going off in a campground at 3am?

Edit to add:

Adding a good video on how power assist works with some hybrid inverters:

StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 07:17 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3OnOurWay View Post
@weekendbob
Checking in on 2023 updates or planned 2024 ideas

How about firefly working well?

Yes, Firefly is working well. If you are asking specifically about the Vegatouch Mira module add-on for mobile blue tooth connectivity to the Firefly that is also working well.

And yes, I did rewire all the AC circuits, doubled the lithium battery capacity, and upgraded the 12V wiring to make full use of the 3000w inverter to power AC, Microwave, coffee maker, etc. I documented that upgrade here: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ml#post2493415

@Stogieman, I went with the Dronemobile alarm. Haven't had any issues with a false alarm but the other added benefits of the Drone Mobile setup is a) remote start b) gps tracking (if you subscribe to their service, which I haven't yet) and c) fast idle capability which is IMO, the biggest benefit to allow use of the engine for longer periods while boondocking to top off the house batterie instead of the much louder generator.