Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2005, 08:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Those Russells ALWAYS have to sleep with the people they own.

My Dilly Demento Dawg (also a Russell) sleeps on my pillow, while I'm in the bed. She kicks me out at least twice a night. She also snores.

She doesn't do the potty when she should, it's usually about three in the morning when she forces me to go out raiding other people's campfires. So far, we've only returned with stuff like burned corn and old steak bones. I'm trying to teach her to grab better stuff.. like Margarita mix.
She does love to sit underneath a potluck, though :-)

She also doesn't walk.. we do the carry.
Me, her.
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:19 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

'68 Overlander 26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&Rita
Think like a dog. Dogs can't think like people. A safe place may mean a portable kennel tucked secured to the bed of your tow vehicle.
my one year old loves hers. pack life can get iffy if you not alpha.
I agree -travel with a crate!
Of course, our pickup bed becomes a crate for our 2 White Shepherds in addition to the foldable wire one we can assemble.
I like the idea of the bed in the bathroom, too, for inside.
We have a twin plan and what works for sleeping is Jasper on the floor in living room, us in the twins, and Luna aft.
Inside we "assign" sleeping spots to our canine companions.
Think DOG!
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Keep the tub. Put a soft cushioned dog bed in the tub. Maybe your new dog will need a bath?
I think I am gonna try that with my Miniature Schnauzer and my Standard Schnauzer.
Good idea!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 01:31 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

We have 2 Boxers and they sleep on the front dinette. I agree with the others that the crate works very well .
58BUBBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 06:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
I think I am gonna try that with my Miniature Schnauzer and my Standard Schnauzer.
Good idea!
Why would you get a standard and a minature? Which one did you get first? Does the minature need therapy? How would you feel if there was a 12 ft tall copy of yourself living in the house?

Are they named Dr. Evil and Mini-me?

Hey, you should meet up with Corky at Inland RV, he's a Schnauzer too! He's aluminum colored.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 08:49 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
the dawgs

We'll be finding out EXACTLY where the dogs sleep.. we're going to a forest preserve tonight and tomorrow, with our first dog, Dilly, a seasoned camper but lives in the human bed, and our new dog, Dephne.

Wish us LUCK.
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 09:02 AM   #27
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
We travel with two dogs and a cat in our 19' Bambi. Things are a little cozy at night but we manage. One of the dogs and the cat end up on the bed. The other dog sleps in front of the bathroom door -- makes it interesting when you need to get in there at night. We also keep our cat box and cat food in the bath area. However, the cat had a tough time getting in when the big dog was in front of the door. Our solution -- we added a "cat door" through the wall from the head of the bed into the shower area -- she loves it!
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We took our dalmation, Spot for his first camp out in our motorhome. He spent several restless hours before eventually settling down on my driver's seat. He had to move aside a pillow to clear a space for himself but he managed to get comfortable. Now, on every trip that is his space whether we are sleeping or just stopping for a rest. I get up and he takes over.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:10 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
That's "Dog-Gone" funny ...actually, mine's been buried for a few years, doesn't eat or poop much anymore !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
In the "dog house" of course.........
especially when he is "dog" gone tired

When we used to tent camp, he stayed in the "doggy bag"

Only problem with the doggy bag, it would get twisted and contorted and often be in the shape of a "dog leg" but there was always a fair way to the hole (in the tent).

try to keep the noise down............
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:11 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Wooferman ended up being a 20 lb. dog and fits comfortably in the 19' Bambi. His favorite place to sleep is on the fluffy round throw rug in the center of the room. He adjusted immediately to being in the Bambi. I think he's just happy anytime we're all three together. Whenever he thinks we're leaving without him he lays down on his back, lifts his hind leg as if asking for a belly rub, curls up into a fetal position and looks at you with those big eyes (this has always been his way of saying O.K. now pick me up and take me with you).
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:17 PM   #31
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
"We took our dalmation, Spot for his first camp out in our motorhome. He spent several restless hours before eventually settling down on my driver's seat. He had to move aside a pillow to clear a space for himself but he managed to get comfortable. Now, on every trip that is his space whether we are sleeping or just stopping for a rest. I get up and he takes over."

Those Dalmations, they always want to be in control!

My dogs love to go camping. My 40 pounder will wait for you to get out of bed during the night, they she takes your place. She will scoot over and share the bed with you though!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:13 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Just had to update!

For any who are worried about big dogs on a trip don't - they have a great time as long as they are with you!

Grant it we were really really tight for sleeping quarters - there was always plenty of room for the girls.

Haily liked the floor because it was cool - but did share the curb side dinette seat with Taz.

We got into a routine - at the end of the day we would move the "billions" of MoonBeam cushions and place the dog blankets up for them - this kept them from under foot while we were in the Galley - when it was time for dinner we either squeezed in around them or one would go on the floor or jump on our bed in the back.

The daytime - we were outside the whole time - lots of walks and runs in the open fields - and even got in a quick swim in the ocean.

As for the car - well the picture says it all - these two are now seasoned travelers with their first big trip in excess of 3000 miles - they did great!
We did not have a lot of stuff in the car so we had the seats all the way down - and they snuggled in their Wal-mart kiddie bed that folds out. Haily likes to lie up the middle but in this shot she must have been tired and went in the back with Taz.

Although we had their harnesses we did not use them - they were always quiet and still in the car. They did however have to get use to wearing their collars 24/7 - something they never wear at home unless we go in the car.

All in all they had a great time and although our vacation was altered to take them with us - it was somewhat restricting for sight seeing - but as long as our days for going out were cloudy or rainy we were fine.

They loved the car so much that many times we had the windows all open and they would sit in the car with us on the trailer patio entertaining.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Haily on Bed.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	11977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Taz on Bed.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	11978  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seasoned Travelers.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	11981  
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:28 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

There is a website I believe called dogfriendly.com that lists beaches and parks that are dog friendly. Florida is not a friendly state as far as dogs go. South Carolina and Georgia dogs are allowed on the beach and I believe they can run off leash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Well plans have changed since we wrote this - guess who is coming on vacation with us!!!

Going for three weeks - and it is a bit much for our parents now to look after the girls for that long - We are lucky that they come to our place for an overnight!!! (So sad to see age creep up in just a year!)

Kennels are OUT! Too expensive and we have not found one that we trust. Besides no matter how good they are Taz would be beside herself with us gone that long - was even worried about leaving her with Mom and Dad.

So our whole vacation approach has now changed - the kayaks are being left at home, along with the golf clubs (okay maybe we will put in a combo set- just in case we find a Dog Sitter Service down in Florida somewhere near Sarasota).

We will be stocking up on the tennis balls, bones and frisbees instead - make room for the dog food and linens will change to the dog throws - invest in a good mini vacuum and nice smellies

So now we are on the hunt for Dog Friendly beaches and parks - where we can let the girls off lead for about 1/2 hour a day or so or somewhere they can swim to get their exercise in.

We have no idea where to go at this point after the Florida Rally - but figure we will try and find a few places close to Dog Friendly areas - so I guess you can call this a Pouch Vacation - what a better kind - not into all those "tourisity" things anyway (not yet at least) Just want some R&R and some fun places to take the dogs for walks and enjoy the nature (where they won't get eaten by Gators!)

Any and all ideas would be very much appreciated.
mtour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:40 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Hmmmm. Most anyplace they want!

Yup, our two are spoiled.
I generally travel with crates for them, but most of the time do not use them in the TT (Tin Tent) because of size... ours are 48l X 30W X 36H. Do set them outside however!
We have a 31 footer with rear full bed. Along the back wall I stack 10 gallon totes and top with folded blanket with a dog bed tossed on top. Another dog bed goes in the hall. Both standard poodles like to sleep with us in the Airstream, but not at home! Go figure! Calla stays all night, but some nights, Trooper gets up and moves to the hall.
During the day if we're gone, they love to lay on the sofa with chins on the sofa back and gaze out the wrap around windows! Calla is our main culprit... she uses her muzzle to open the drapes if I haven't done that before we leave. Sigh. Consequently, we have wonderful nose art on those windows!
Traveling with the dogs does take some forethought, and some planning, but mostly, investigating where they are welcome, and where they aren't!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 10-29-2005, 02:40 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Mtour

Yes that is a great site - we found it when we got home from our trip last winter.

I hear a lot of people say that Florida is not dog friendly - but and was told by fellow Ontario Unit members that you CAN NOT take your dogs on ANY beach in Florida.

We had stayed inland most of the time because of this comment. But decided to take a trip to Sanibal Island - made sure it was a cloudy day just in case the girls had to stay in the car.

Well much to our surprise!!! The sign said keep dogs on leash and stoop and scoup - NO WHERE did it say dogs were not allowed on the beach.

Every park we stayed at there always seemed to be a nice place off in the back to let the girls stretch their legs - with no rules telling us NO. During our travels there seemed to be more dogs than there were kids - every other trailer owner had a dog or two - and even cats on a leash.

Moral to this story - always do your own research and not everything people tell you is true.

Paradise Park where we stayed for 9 days - had a great big field for the girls - a couple of runs a day and they were happy as larks - we just had to watch the ditch in the far side - "Alligators" - They got in there once - it was a very hot day there way of saying we want a swim.

Cedars is absolutely right investigate and do a bit of planning.

We anticipate situations that are not the greatest for the girls - and well we will sacrifice our own pleasures to avoid a scene with the dogs. Cause it is just not worth it - so if we walk our dogs close to a trailer - where someones dog gets really excited and does it a second time - we sort of clue in that they can smell each other and for whatever reason they are a bit scared of each other - whether they are on a leash or confined to the trailer - so it is not that hard to pick a different route and avoid stressing both parties!! But hmmmm there are lots of people out there that just keep coming around with their dogs and the "scene" just goes right over their heads

We are looking forward to our trip again this year - no dates yet - but we have 4 weeks this time around and we may take a paddle boat with us - to enjoy the water more and the girls love it too! It is big enough for all four of us and a picnic basket too.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote