Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2019, 09:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
The rules for Petrified Forest National Park are quite liberal: "Pets are allowed on any paved road or trail as well as all official Wilderness areas in the park. Please, only certified service animals are allowed in park buildings."
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:43 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We generally avoid National Parks because they don't allow dogs on trails. The exception is Shenandoah.

Most state parks and other state installations in Texas allow dogs on trails. The exceptions there are Enchanted Rock and Big Bend Ranch State Park (BBRSP). We went to BBRSP years ago when they were struggling to up their visitor numbers, and at that time they accepted all comers, including dogs. I'm glad we did, because that door of opportunity closed.

When cool weather allows it, for live video feed and motion alerts, we routinely use a Canary IP camera which also transmits temperature. We wired it into our rig and I use a Netgear air card to connect it to my iPhone.

The Canary is optimized for facial recognition at close range (burglars), so it's a bit blurry at a distance. Red arrow points to dog on couch.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:58 AM   #23
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
When traveling in urban areas (in Chattanooga today) I get the dog a grooming appointment - a nice bath, haircut and nail trim gives me a few hours to hit that museum or zoo.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:04 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboa View Post
Please share the brand and model of you video and temperature system used when traveling.
https://www.minderresearch.com/homeminder/homeminder-remote-video-and-temperature-monitoring-system/
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Many Parks out this way have no cell reception- so the monitors won’t help.
There are occasional trails were dogs are allowed on a leash, it depends a lot on where you plan to go in each Park. As far as I’ve seen- no Wilderness (a specific classification) area allows them in any Park. But ‘frontcountry’ trails often will (very short ‘nature trail’ type setups).

Here at Olympic (I worked here for over 34 years) there are a few trails- and it is rarely very hot. But of course if your dog is barking/howling it won’t be very popular. I don’t know the current rules for in the campground (I was always Maintenance, then IT- not a ranger).
It is also bordered on many places by the Olympic National Forest- which does allow dogs in most places. I believe DNR (state parks and recreation areas) allow them on leashes. Some of those trails are multipurpose (walkers, horses, motorcycles etc) - so be prepared to yield- especially horses since many seem to be quite ‘spooky’.

I used to see lots of people take dogs on the trail anyway- but it will be a sizable ticket if you get caugh- and most people don’t seem to take very kindly to it either. I would recommend you do not take them on the trails.

If you need any specific info for here (I’ve also worked doing support at many other NW parks) PM me and I may be able to help.
Mark

(Oh yeah, I’m totally against the entrance fees. I think we already paid for it once and a huge amount goes to just collect the fees)
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
When the weather is too extreme to leave Mikko in trailer (which I can do on cooler days because he loves it and never barks)I have used Rover.com when traveling all over the country. Like an Airbnb for pets. Folks open their homes for day and/or overnight care for your dog. The web site has a page for each host showing pics of the home, the people, their pets and reviews written by other clients as well as price & date availability. There is an app that is handy to use with a map of the area where you need a host. Click on a few, send requests to several and you'll quickly get replies yay or nay. Mikko has spent afternoons in a penthouse over looking Boston Harbor, in Kentucky on grassy horse property and other friendly dogs to play with & an overnight near Washington DC at a home with big fenced yard and pool. The hosts always send pics of your pup during the day to reassure you if his comfort. In the more rural areas there are fewer hosts. And you may need to drive a bit to get to a town with a host. But, it's worth it if you really want to see sites your pup can't go to and it's too hot to leave him in car or trailer. Again: Rover.com.
adobehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:09 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Many of the national parks are dog friendly. And dogs are welcome in many of their areas. Also inquire locally regarding Doggy Day Care . Before your trip do a little research speak with a local veterinarian for Recommendations..RV Parks also gave us excellent recommendations . Sam had Dog walker’s available and of course nice dog runs. They all did require current veterinarian records. 8 to 6 in the evening reasonably priced. She only takes in 5 to 8 dogs and continues training with her Arabian horses. The dogs had a wonderful day and so did we. Just outside the entrance to brace Canyon there is a dude ranch for dogs. With several pans allowing the owner to separate dogs appropriately. Our dogs had a wonderful day.
Do view restrictions if you plan to enter Canada. They have breeds that they do not allow to cross their borders. Returning to California after a beautiful trip to Whistler Canada we were made aware that we cannot bring any food purchased in Canada back into USA . So do you keep your U.S.A. dog food in original packaging. Or they will Confiscate It. Well behaved dogs from our experience seem to be welcome most places. We have had little problem taking our beautiful four-legged babies on most of our great adventures . Do you get there dog park app. Meeting locals in the area at a dog park most certainly will give you good information about all the dog friendly areas in their area . Have fun see you down the road
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:27 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Rover.com

We use Rover.com too. Best to plan early if you can because the best sitters book up early. Also, as mentioned, they are few and far between in more remote areas. And as others have said, if there's no suitable solution for the dogs then we don't go. Luckily ours are not barkers so we can leave them in the trailer for a few hours if it's not hot. Best of luck to you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190313_092301.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	342305  
janicemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #29
QE2
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Estacada , Oregon
travel with dogs

We have always traveled with our dog. The best thing to do is travel in the offseason to warmer areas and go coastal or high elevation in the summer months. A little planning as to where you are going will help greatly. If your dog is a barker you may have problems wherever you go. Our dog stays quiet when we are gone so we have quietly left her behind, even in parks that say to not leave your pets in the trailer. Usually, she site sees with us and we walk her in the parking areas and trails she is allowed on.
Also, go to Canada, they allow dogs on most every hike in their national parks. Its also usually cooler up there so if you have to leave the pet behind its not as hot.
I would never go anywhere without my dog!
QE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by janicemd View Post
We use Rover.com too. Best to plan early if you can because the best sitters book up early. Also, as mentioned, they are few and far between in more remote areas. And as others have said, if there's no suitable solution for the dogs then we don't go. Luckily ours are not barkers so we can leave them in the trailer for a few hours if it's not hot. Best of luck to you!

Oh those snouts!!!! [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:32 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
In National Parks and in some State Parks your dogs will be limited to a 6' leash and the parking lot. Then it is your call to leave them in the trailer or kennel, find a sitter or do whatever you have to do to keep them safe while you are off exploring.

We've occasionally invested in "doggy daycare" when there was something we wanted to do that was not dog friendly -talk to a a local for the best ideas! They can point you to a kennel, a doggy day care facility, or a puppy sitter.

And, before you start make sure your dog has all its shots, is licensed and you have have dated certificate(s) that shows the dog is healthy, up to date on shots and licensed. We've been to some state parks (CA) where dogs are not even allowed in on a leash if we can't prove they have had their shots! Of course, flea, tick and heartworm meds with you when you go -never know what you will run into.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
We just got home from a 5 week trip and 6 National Parks/Monuments (including Canada) with our two Pomeranians and we found going to the Parks during the shoulder season was a great thing since the temps were great! When we were in Moab, we left them in the rig with AC when we could or one of stayed back to make sure they were cool. Good thing Arches was small enough to see in a day and we brought them in the tv.
The previous respondent who talked about Canada was spot on. They are much more dog-friendly than the US. The best place (we are biased, since we live in Anchorage) is Alaska since there is so much open space and there usually are dog parks in the bigger cities.
nerka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Omro , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Logue View Post
Take them with you.....
What is the breed of your dogs? We had a bolognese that looked like your dogs and yes, she traveled very well. She passed away at 15 yrs. young. Thank you.
forssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I, personally, would never leave Lily in a strange kennel, as she would be afraid.

If she can’t go, and rules or weather dictate she can’t stay behind in the Interstate, I don’t go.

Maggie
I totally understand.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:06 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wayne , New Jersey
what time of the year was it when you went to Yellowstone?
Gills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:52 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
I know you are not asking me, but we were in Yellowstone in mid-June two years ago on the Rockies Caravan. It was warm (upper-70's one day) and the rest of the week was cool and rainy. But one week before that, we were dry camping in Utah and it was in the 90's! In the mountains, you have to plan for anything.
janicemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:51 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
For future reference, there is actually one dog friendly trail in Yellowstone. It starts just west of the Lake Hotel by the old boathouse and follows more or less along the lake to the loop road (about .5 miles).

It is actually a remnant of the original loop road laid out by the 2nd superintendent, Philetus Norris.

Not great scenery but a pleasant way to exercise your pup. Do be aware that bears can be encountered anywhere in the park so bear spray is highly recommended.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote