Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Tupelo , Mississippi
Travelling with Cats

In the process of purchasing an Airstream (Int Sig 25 or 27FB) and have 2 cats that we will want to take with us on trips. They have traveled well with us in a vehicle over the past several years. Not much room in my tow vehicle and was considering keeping the cats in the Airstream while on the road. Does anybody do this ? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
wdspain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
We currently carry our 3 cats in the truck, but in the past, we carried two in the trailer. In the truck, one is on the console between us and two are in soft carriers in the back seat. They have logged many thousands of miles.

When the two rode in the trailer, our female rode between the curtains and the curved front window and watched the world go by. The 20# male cat would wedge himself between the crosswise queen bed and the back of the trailer. There was just enough space that he could lay there. Neither seemed to be traumatized by riding there. They seemed to prefer that to the truck. When we stopped, they would be at the door to greet us.

On one trip, we couldn't find the male cat when we stopped. Quite a scare! Apparently, the drawer at the end of the bed had come open while we were underway, the cat had bedded down in the drawer, and the drawer had closed and locked while going around a curve. We heard a small meow and that led us to the drawer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We keep ours in the tow vehicle with us, in cages. That way we can keep an eye on them and they can't go too far in case of an accident.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
We have traveled with 3, and now 2, cats but keep them in the tow vehicle with us. We have thought about letting them ride in the trailer but have been reluctant to try it for several reasons: 1) afraid that the bouncing of the trailer would upset them; 2) would not be aware if some sort of accident or illness affected them; 3) they occasionally throw up while traveling and we'd rather know right away when that happens so we can clean it up. Of the three reasons, our main concern is not being able to know right away if a mishap occurred and they were hurt or ill.
If you decide to try it, however, let us know how it works out.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Our kitty is happy in the tow vehicle because she likes to be with us. She prefers to stay in her crate while we're in motion. Occasionally when we stop she comes out to look around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SmoreWindow.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	230772
Old 01-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Tupelo , Mississippi
Thanks to all for the input. I guess we will need to place more items in the trailer for more room in the truck for our cats........
wdspain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
I don't know about the rest of the states but in California it is illegal to transport any living being in a trailer. Except for horse or livestock trailers.

Check with the states you plan to drive in.

Our dogs ride in the tow vehicle.

That's Lacey and Bailey in the background shot taken in front of the Grand Coulee dam in Washington.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1177.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	230836   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1210_2.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	230837  

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Does California let you do anything?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Actually, no. 😄

It's getting so you can't even move without getting busted.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I wish our cats liked to travel. They put up such a fuss. We've tried in cages and without. No difference. Nothing like listening to 2 cats caterwauling for hours on end.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sigh. That's why I travel with dogs. They find a comfy spot and sleep whilst we are on the highway, then wake and watch in town. They only growl at suspicious activity.

Cats sometimes are good travelers, but many just don't like their routine upset, I suspect.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
If I could trade these 2 cats for a dog, I would do it in a heartbeat. While they are from the same litter, their personalities are as different as night and day. But, neither of them likes to leave their backyard.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We have been on the road for 6 weeks with our 2014 27FB Signature.

First of all, I totally agree with those who say to take them with you in the tow vehicle. A couple of weeks on the road we transported them in the trailer for three hours as a trial. They were freaked for two days. Never again!!

Secondly, our trailer, and maybe others, have a feature that is not advertised. There is a decorative little arch across from the door under the seat. It looks like a nice little feature, but is in reality, a cat portal. When our girls discovered it, they immediate disappeared into the woodwork. After a while, lured by cat treats, they emerged. The problem now is that they LOVE to go into this special place. We have tried stuffing pillows and putting boxes in front of it, but they always figure out how to weasel their way in. Eventually I will permanently block it. But for now, we are letting them have their fun.

I'm thinking by letting you know this little secret, you can be proactive in blocking this portal before they get a chance to discover it.

Other than that little glitch, our two former outdoor cats have adapted nicely to being indoor streaming cats.
PDXRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
I wish our cats liked to travel. They put up such a fuss. We've tried in cages and without. No difference. Nothing like listening to 2 cats caterwauling for hours on end.
Cats can be trained to like traveling. Just put them in the car/truck and take them out for Ice Cream. A few licks of soft serve vanilla on a ten minute trip - repeated about six times and they will run for the carrier. Then gradually increase the trip time. Go for groceries and have one person stay in the car with the critter(s). Reward with a finger of ice cream. (Lasagna works better for some cats - really!) Don't overdo the treat or the cat might vomit and you're back to square one. Next take a trip long enough to carry a leash and litter pan. Once the cat will use the litter pan in or next to the car, you're ready to tow.

The cat will probably start taking naps quite early on.

Paula
Old 01-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I might have to try that although one is severely lactose intolerant. I could substitute whipping cream as they love that.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Cue love to come with us!

Our cat Cue has been traveling with us since she was a kitten. I trained her to ride in the car by taken her on short trips around town about once a week. We have made a few long trips up to 18 hours in our van. I will put her litter box in the rear of the van. She has no problem using it as we go down the road. I don't think I would have her in the trailer when in tow.

Name:	IMG_1310.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	230867Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0810.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	230868

Name:	IMG_0179.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	230872

WBCCI 2169
TAC PA-1

Proud Owner of a
1966 Caravel
2015 Shasta Retro
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
We travel with 2 cats who ride in the trailer. We motorhomed before so cats are used to being on the bed whule inderway. My wife rode in the trailer with the cats for a couple miles to see if they freaked out. After the motorhome the trailer is so quiet going down the road that they seem to like it just fine.

We keep the seat upholstery covered with a fluffy bedspread tucked in. No issues with the ultraleather so far.
Stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
We started ours out with a can of Redi whip. They come running to the sound wherever they may have been. They travel in the trailer and we visit them often by taking rest stops for ourselves. The cats know that the rediwhip is in the trailer so they are eager to load up.
Stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
60's Saying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Drugs baby, drugs. It will mello them out. Load them up with catnip and put them in small cages and go.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
When I put mine in her cage she cries. As soon as the Jeep gets rolling she goes to sleep. I try to stop every couple of hours to rest my back and carry her to the trailer to let her stretch her legs and do her business if necessary. I am nervous about her traveling in the trailer and frankly think it is a bad idea. She has a new box that is twice the interior than her old one. She seems much more comfortable and less stressed.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote