Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #21
_

. , .
hopefully the plan is about helping the new pets get accustomed to TRAVEL in the truck...

and occasionally 'living' in the stream once on site when camping.

actual TRAVEL in the trailer is a very bad idea for a LOT of reasons...

primary 1 being...

carbon monoxide can and does accumulate IN the stream while towing.

yet there are folks who let the animals ride in the stream.

there are a bunch of useful threads with tips/tricks and "don'ts" for pet travel, even felines.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...ttys-7296.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...ide-26862.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...ids-21995.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...tch-42829.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...eam-49320.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...lets-1596.html

and many others, worth reading while awaiting the cat stork delivery.

carol's approach using a TETHER when the trailer is open is VERY wise.

and training to a halter/leash is much easier when young.

most cats are by nature nocturnal, so crating in the day time is typically easy on the cats too.

i've read or met a LOT of rv'ers, with stories...

about their kitties wandering OFF while camping and NOT returning.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Thumbs up Thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post

Also, block the sliding part of your screen door. Our Munchkin opened it and jumped out. Fortunately, he ran a few feet and froze. Since then, I snap a paper clamp in the track to limit the slide to just leave enough space to open the latch.
Thanks a lot for the idea. It is very timely.

We just returned from a week long trip. One morning during the trip, I was outside the trailer and looked up to see Daisy (our avatar) climb up the screen door grill, use her paw to push the small door further open, and perch on the edge in preparation for the big leap.

Daisy does well with the leash, as long as she is leading the walk.

Regards,

Ken

P.S. I agree with 2air. a moving travel trailer is no place for a pet, or human for that matter.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Jim and Rod, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. We lost our youngest cat in June, and it is so hard. Those fuzzy creatures crawl into your heart and make a home for themselves pretty quickly, don't they? I'm glad you'll be adopting two more; with the wonderful advice you're getting here, they should be ready for camping in no time. I hope to see pictures of them sometime in November, when you bring them home!

Sharon
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharbours View Post
Jim and Rod, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. We lost our youngest cat in June, and it is so hard. Those fuzzy creatures crawl into your heart and make a home for themselves pretty quickly, don't they? I'm glad you'll be adopting two more; with the wonderful advice you're getting here, they should be ready for camping in no time. I hope to see pictures of them sometime in November, when you bring them home!

Sharon
Thanks for your thoughts. It's been particularly difficult losing both of them in 2 months. The one thing that keeps us going is knowing that there are two more in our future. They should be born in about 10 days and we'll have them 12 weeks after that. The wait is going to be near unbearable but the excitement will continue to grow through out that time!

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Cazenovia , New York
Tonk travel

Hi Jimandrod,
Just found your post; did you get 2 Tonk babies and how are they doing?
We adopted a 4 yr old Tonk about a year ago (reason we are looking for an Airstream). We think a 22' is just right for myself, husband and 1 Tonk. We really want to take her with us so...got her use to a harness & leash last summer a few months after we got her. Also, she likes to ride on our shoulders so we got a cat backpack and started her in that in the house. Then..we took her tent camping. Unfortunately the 1st night we were on Lake Erie in a wind storm with tent flapping, etc. so both she & husband slept in car.
We usually rent a car to go on long trips to save on our mileage (no Airstream yet). So each time we go on a trip Tonk gets used to a different rental car. She is doing really well though and particularly likes the Ford Focus; she sits between the driver & passenger seat, on on my lap with feet on door rest so she can see out side window, or sprawls out in back. We put the back seats down and put a painting tarp over area to keep it clean (easy to shake out tarp), then we add a small dish of dry kibble, small kitty litter pan & heavy dish with a few laps of water (add more when we stop). We do have a fold down cloth dog kennel, but she really likes being able to sit with us, not safest deal but we do it. Also..we got her ID chipped at last vet visit and we carry all vet records in a plastic envelope. Went to Canada and back with no problems going across border, but we had all the paperwork.
Good luck with your Tonks!
They are wonderful cats.
Best
rlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Thanks - we have them now. They're almost 11 months old. We ended up with one champagne mink Tonk (Emmett) and one blue Burm (Buster). They're both real sweeties. They were born 2 days apart. They're both from the same breeder so they've been together all of their lives.

They're also doing just fine camping. They love the Airstream. Emmett whines a little when he's in the truck but Buster goes right to sleep and is quiet the entire trip. We have them travel in an over-sized carrier so they can be together and we have a Show Shelter that we frequently use to keep them secure in the trailer. It's their "tent" and they love being in it.

We don't do the leash/harness thing because we don't want to get them interested in being outdoors. We live in the desert southwest and if they were to ever get out they would be a tasty morsel for a coyote. So, they have to be completely indoors at all times.

BTW - I noticed you're from Cazenovia. I grew up in Geneva. I love the Finger Lakes area!

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Emmett-&-Buster-.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	134399  

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:48 AM   #27
New Owner 😊

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Cary , North Carolina
Older cat

We actually have an older cat and are looking to travel more with our airstream. I have a question regarding where everyone puts the litter box. He will be inside all the time as he is now at our home. Also, how do you handle the trip in the truck?
I'm mainly asking for his comfort on long trips. Since this will be our first time taking him with us… How do you handle eating and litter box while traveling?
runningjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:44 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Cazenovia , New York
We travel to FL and live in 22sport with our Tonk,10 yr., for 6 mos every winter.
She sits on car console between front seats when traveling..litter pan on floor behind seat. In trailer, pan fits by bed, tape wall seams with painter tape..keep out litter & tape plastic bag to wall around litter pan.
Also keep trailer window closed above litter to reduce outside noise & smells.
We have a Tonk!! Very best!! Got her from a breeder, she was 3 & needed new home.
Best cat we ever had..except maybe Siamese I had as a kid in the 50s.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:50 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Muscoda , Wisconsin
Training cats - hah.
Cats train humans.

Seriously, my experience is some cats like to travel some don't.
My 17 pound tabby would nestle behind the brake pedal and howl for the duration of any trip, my Himalayan will crawl up on my lap and not say anything for one hundred miles.

My orange tabby is somewhere in between.
Taking them young probably would pay off because cats do not like or enjoy unfamiliarity of surroundings.
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Cazenovia , New York
Tonk gone

Hi all,
Just logged in again.
Sad,sad news...had to euthanize our 12 year old Tonk on April 1. God awful loss & hardest one I have ever experienced.
She was beautiful, calm & always ready to travel. She stopped eating...blood work OK but vet reported growth around intestine..assumed cancer. She went through 2 weeks of hell as we tried everything to get her to eat again..horrible, wish we had known it was hopeless, wouldn’t have put her through it.
New Tonk coming in October from the same breeder...we get retired cats...they are mellow, used to being dragged around & like to travel.
Best with your buddies; love every minute.