Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Ashland , Missouri
puppy stroller?

ok, this is an embarrassing item to me, a puppy stroller.

but my pomeranian (what a sweet dog, not a yap dog and more loyal and bright than i would have dreamed!) whew.. i digress

ok, my pom has a bad back leg. he can't run around and jump.

we are finally working to finish refurb. our AS and put it at our resort since we sold our tow vehicle. there are miles of beautifully paved roads so i can get out and walk w/o falling down (HOPEFULLY! )

of course i want to take sami (named for the sami or sammi people, like laplanders ) along with me.

had been toying with the idea of trying to rig up a stroller but a friend told me about puppy strollers. i looked online and they are pretty great looking for our situation.

of course they are embarrassing being so often in pink or aqua blue. i mean, when you grew up camping in the wilds of washington and oregon with lots of army surplus this just doesn't look one bit cool! but this is beside the point. i know, way more information than needed, but if you are reading the pet section of an airstream forum you must have a bit of time on your hands. or maybe it is just me!

so, here is a pet stroller that looks like the perfect solution. just wondered if anyone has used one. are there any down sides i should look for while shopping.

sami is all boy. i don't want to offend his manhood.

thanks!
e
Attached Images

Lost Valley Lake Resort #5611
https://www.lostvalleylake.com Woodalls 5W, Coast to Coast 5 Star. Coast to Coast members come enjoy!
cccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
sounds like a good plan

An elderly friend of mine does power walking (believe it or not!)..and her older dog cannot keep up with her. So her solution was a pet stroller. She says to make sure that it has large sturdy wheels on it. The bigger, the better. And if you are camping in places that do not have good paved roads or sidewalks the larger rubber tires will be needed. Just my two cents!
Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think that's really sweet that you want to go out of the way to include your disabled dog on walks with you!

I just saw a Dr Phil episode where the lady was over-pampering her bulldog and had a stroller for him. It was bright yellow. Looked just like a jogging stroller, and looked like it was made for dogs.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Ashland , Missouri
we know what the ground will be like. we will have to leave our AS at lost valley lake since we sold our tow vehicle. we were supposed to refurbish and full time*sigh* that was 2005 right before i kept trying to die (GEESSHHHH!!!! whoduh thot at my age!)

but LVL is a beautiful place with tons of things to do. the roads are paved and in excellent condition. i'd trip on rough ground so going there is going to be a great thing, getting lots of exercise. hilly, too.

a good thing about LVL, since we bought an ownership long ago, all we will have to pay for is around $20/mo in storage fees and the $15 or so to have them spot the AS and put it back in the lot after we leave.

we hope to be able to go for 2 to 3 week stretches, God willing. He sure had different ideas about us going full time!

sami will hopefully love it.

thanks for input!

e
Lost Valley Lake Resort #5611
https://www.lostvalleylake.com Woodalls 5W, Coast to Coast 5 Star. Coast to Coast members come enjoy!
cccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
These guys have a ton of different styles of pet strollers:

Pet Strollers for your Dog & Cat. Lowest Prices!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #6
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
We sell several a week see the here

For a small lap type dog they work out well!

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Hello, e! That navy blue stroller doesn't look so rudi-kazoo, and might just fit the need that sami has. Hope you find one that suits so you can get him and yourself out on the walking trails. We are glad to see you posting again on the forum, and especially glad to see your plans for getting out and having fun with your Airstream. We pass your place going in and out of town every day and always try to notice when your trailer is open and making progress Best wishes in all, a near-Ashland neighbor, ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Someone mentioned they had trouble with the link

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I order supplies all the time from Foster & Smith

Search for Dog Strollers and they seem to have a number of options.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Have you thought of a sling? Seeing as your pup is a wee Pom - would carrying him be another option?

I know I lugged my 20 lb baby around in a carrier and it was very convenient - allowed me to hike more off-road than if I had the stroller...

PetSmart has this sling-style one.

Or this one at amazon.com

Anyhow - just a thought!

-Michelle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sling.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	46495  
Attached Images

Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
We bought our "Pet Gear" stroller at one of the pet stores at the mall in Ocala, FL. It's one of the best I've seen and reasonable. Our cat (^_^) oops??? LOVES to ride in it and we get to walk at a reasonable rate rather than dally around while she checks out the territory. Two other friends have purchased strollers now and they love them, too.

Phil/Edee (and our "furkids" Brandi & Ki)
Phil/Edee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #12

Currently Looking...
Osage Beach , Missouri
We have two new ones we got for our Cockers. We have not used them sence we didnot have a camper untill 2 weeks ago. We live in the Lake of the Ozarks, Osage Beach, Mo. If you still need a stroller let me know. The one we have are up to 50 lb. so this should work for you.

Thanks,

Larry
Larry Salsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
I got this for my cat, but it'll work for dog too. It calls Kittywalk, and the one I have is the Fifth Ave SUV model and I put an Airstream emblem on it. Really cute. This model sports extra large wheels, so if you stroll around the campground and it's not perfectly paved, or if want to stroll in the park on the grass and gravel ground, it works wonderfully.

The original version is much less expensive, and a bit smaller, but for a pom, it's plenty big enough and it comes in a green nylon. Like this one, half has a cabana, and the other is a net. The stroller (frame and wheels part) can be folded like a child stroller and the cage part is detactable and can be used as a carrier on its own. You can use it in the car or to the vet. Highly recommended.

My cat loves it, when we stroll around the campground. She even sleeps in it in the AS as her little house (we fold the frame away and put it in the truck when not strolling her around).

Good luck on your search.

Cat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat stroller.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	47171  
Attached Images